Panasonic TX37LZD70 or Sony 40W2000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well after Clare's response yesterday I was all set to get the Panasonic 37" LCD.....but (there's always a but isn't there!) no-one had it in stock at a reasonable price until the end of next week.

So my hubby starts wondering if we should go back to our original plan of getting a Sony 40W2000 (which he liked) as it is bigger, or even a Toshiba 42X3030 (which he also liked!) as that was cheaper.

Now I know the Sony came out well 9 months or so ago, but would it fare so well today against the likes of the Panasonic 37", and have the clouding issies with it been sorted. I want a hassle free purchase!

As for the Toshiba's - well I know the 37X3030 didn't come out well in the What Hi Fi reviews so I am assuming the 42" would be the same.

So would anyone like to offer a poor demented woman some advice please!

Thank you

A

Anonymous

Get the Panasonic 37" LCD or if You have more money, buy Pioneer 428XD plasma. It is not full HD, but Pioneer has a processor that beats them all !!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Sony was a superb set in its day, but doesn't have the 24fps support of the Panasonic.

If you're going 42in, you would indeed be far better off with one of the Pana plasmas or (if you can afford it) the Pioneer.

A

Anonymous

You don't say what your budget is, but if you add £4.99 to it and buy the What HiFi? Ultimate Guide to Digital TV, that may provide you with a shortlist. You should be able to buy on the Net for a lot less than the quoted prices and I think you should add the new Samsung 'F' Series to those in the mag.

Happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
The Sony was a superb set in its day, but doesn't have the 24fps support of the Panasonic.

If you're going 42in, you would indeed be far better off with one of the Pana plasmas or (if you can afford it) the Pioneer.

[/quote]

Thanks Clare. Whilst I agree the plasmas are superior the Pioneer is way out of our price league, and we are concerned about the power consumption of Plasma's. Also as the TV is opposite a large south facing patio door an LCD screen seems to be the better option.

All this info really helps, so once again many thanks!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="david1997"]
You don't say what your budget is, but if you add £4.99 to it and buy the What HiFi? Ultimate Guide to Digital TV, that may provide you with a shortlist. You should be able to buy on the Net for a lot less than the quoted prices and I think you should add the new Samsung 'F' Series to those in the mag.

Happy hunting!

[/quote]

Thanks David. I agree that it's £4.99 well spent! But sometimes when you research a purchase like this so thouroughly, it gets to the stage where it becomes very confusing. You then go and look at your short list, but then shops don't necessarily set them up well, so sometimes you add something to your short list that hasn't been recommended. Add to the mix that there are two of you looking and the whole thing becomes a minefield!!

As for price - about £850 - £875 so that puts the Samsung F series just out of reach, although their quality control issues do bother me anyway.

Thank you for the happy hunting wishes!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I know, it can be a complicated process - I went through the same thing myself two years ago trying to decide between the Panasonic 37in plasma and Sony 40in of the day. I went for the Sony (mainly because no-one had the Pana in stock) and have just finished paying it off this month on HP!

However, fast forward to now and I'd say go for the 37in or 42in Panasonic plasma. The power consumption difference between plasma and LCD isn't as great as it used to be, black levels are excellent, and as you'll see in the Ultimate Guide to TV (if you bought it!) that we've given both the Panasonics Awards in their size class.

Also, although the prices in the mag are quoted at £900 and £1000 respectively, it really is worth shopping around as I'm sure you'll be able to get them nearer to your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts