Panasonic TX-P42G20

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
hi all. I´ve heard some excellent things about this new tv. I´m really thinking to buy it.

Does anyone here has it?

Do you know any good reviews on the web?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

We have had them in since Monday and if im being honest, it's a cracking tv and a noticable improvement over last years G10.

The design is nice and suttle, the frame around the screen is slimmer over the G10, the pedestal is not as wide but it still does swivel, also overall the tv seems slimmer than the G10 and it's pretty much all gloss black with a faint conture line where the Panasonic name is. Now that's the design over and done with, now for the performance, i have to say it's very very good, the 600Hz sub field drive is much much better than the G10, everything seems to flow nice on screen when movement is made, when it come's to picture quality, there is a difference, we compared it against a 42" G10 that we have remaining in store and the colour is better on the G20 but when it comes to sharpness etc, there was little between the two. Now for sound, it does seem to perform again better than the G10 but remember the G20 is not the flagship, so do not expect too much in regards to sound but for what it does, it does a great job. The biggest improvement is the specification, it's THX certified now, has a ISF mode (basically you can fine tune Gamma etc in regards to picture for someone who wants a more professional picture calibration), Freeview HD, Freesat HD, Viera Cast, Wi-Fi Ready, USB-Record (allows user to add an external Hard Drive so you can record from the built in tv tuners) and a new SD XC card reader which also reads the normal SD HC cards too (this allows Jpeg / AVCHD / DivXHD playback).

It's a very comprehensive tv for the money and with a vast host of features too, if i had a choice between last years G10 or G15 at a cheap price or the new G20, i'd go for the new G20 in terms of what it offers as an overall package.

Regards> M

A

Anonymous

If you are in the market for Panasonic then I would seriously advise you to wait a bit for a VT20 series. G20 panel are still without Kuros technology which will be implemented in VT20 flagship series. I dont think the difference in price will be that drastic. If you are looking for a review then you can put through google translator this link from excellent danish site and you will know everything you need to know.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/test.php?subaction=showfull&id=1267447545

Actually just stumbled on another review in english

There was some nigging there about big input lag

By the way I think it is a bit misleading boasting about 600 Hz. It is well known that those number did not derive from the 12 times increase of the refresh rate in comparison to original 50 Hz, but from the inclusion of new frames - subfields - calculated by the TV itself to fill the gaps between the real frames obtained from the original 50 Hz source.It is also not clear to me how can 600 Hz technology on G20 could be better than exactly the same 600 Hz technology used in G10. I guess beauty indeed is in the eye of the beholder.

A

Anonymous

I'm jumping on this exact TV when it arrives here.

For
what it's worth, my usual go-to review site gave it a great review, quoting low input lag and great colours and blacks:

[edited by mods - House rules]

hazarin:

If you are in the market for Panasonic then I would seriously advise
you to wait a bit for a VT20 series. G20 panel are still without Kuros
technology which will be implemented in VT20 flagship series. I dont
think the difference in price will be that drastic. If you are looking
for a review then you can put through google translator this link from
excellent danish site and you will know everything you need to know.

The VT series is a good 60% more expensive according to FlatpanelsHD

A

Anonymous

I was interested in buying this tv or the upcoming V20, but there are so many reports on phospher trails on pretty much all plasma tvs, the 'kuro' to i might add, that i am put off getting one! You have to jump to the VT20 to get the faster decaying pixels. What a shame the V20 doesn't have this tech. It will be interesting to see the what hi fi think of this model.

D

Deleted member 2457

I heard Costco are doing this tv for £822.50 plus a 5 year warranty, I have no idea if this is good or bad, but I thought i would post it here in case it was.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy of late. We are all very impressed with the G20, picutre quality is improved on last year with a good increase in black level and detail. We have Freeview HD working in our area and that is a great add on, we are yet to try the HDD record function but we are sorting that tomorrow. All in all it is a cracking set for the money and it bodes well for the V20 and VT20.

A

Anonymous

I tried to list the review site but what hi fi changed it to 'another site'. Its not to hard to find, one of the main online review sites that went to CES!!

A

Anonymous

this years panny plasmas are very fairly priced for what you get too , in fact even sony (3d apart) are priced well this year ...

but the g20 and v20 , will win all the accolades on the web , as the g10 and v10 did last year (whfi apart)..

A

Anonymous

Hi Max

Are you totally happy with your G10, do you see phospor trails?

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
the g20 is a cracking set good inputs usb aswell previous pannys did`nt have this feature plus both tuners picture quality was good too looks not as good but performance makes up for it

A

Anonymous

***:
Hi Max

Are you totally happy with your G10, do you see phospor trails?

i dont see them , but thats not to say there arent any , i have never seen them on any plasma ...

yes im very happy with my g10 , as long as the picture stays like it is now , im chuffed ..

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate! Looks like i will go for the G20, or wait for the slightly better the V20 (with a can of black spray paint) to tone down that light grey bezel. Never thought i would get a plasma!!

TRENDING THREADS