Panasonic GT30 Green Blobs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first post on here so Hi

Over at the avforums there is a lot of talk about the green blobs issue on the 2011 range of Plasma. I've had 2 50'' GT30's and the issue was on both of them. It's mainly seen on grey or light backgrounds and is very off putting. This seems to be a widespread problem across the ST,GT & VT range and I would just like to know why What HiFi gave these Plasmas product of the year awards when such an obvious problem is afflicting these sets. Do Panasonic sent the reviewers hand picked models and send the rest to the consumers or is it a case that the reviewers just don't see it as a problem?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Korum,

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum form myself.

I know the issue you have pointed to but what i would say is that the only time i have ever noticed it was when i switched the tv on for the first time, the menu that appears on set up has a pale grey background and some green tinges were visible to me at that point.

The effect has never intuded into everyday viewing however and i can honstly say i have never noticed it on any source at any time on a day to day basis, what i did notice was that over time the effect lessens...with every succesive update the effect has seemed far less apparent as the update screen uses the same pale grey menu as the initial start up menu. Perhaps as the screen gets properly ran in the effect starts to dissipate?

Best regards,

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick,

I'm on my second set now having put 130 hours on the previous one and the green blob didn't dissapate. It is very obvious on the XBox 360 dash and PS3 browser. Could I ask what you would consider to be a reasonable run-in period?

I notice you have a PS3, do you not have any issue with green blobs with gaming on there? How many hours have you put on your set? I agree that everyday viewing doesn't present much of a problem, if this issue would resolve itself I'd be over the moon with the GT30

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Korum,

Beleive it or not this is my 3rd GT30 tv! I had to return two faulty tvs as the first one had a strange grey shadowy line down the left hand side of the screen and the second one had a very loud buzzing coming from it, apparently this is down to a power supply issue according to WHF and other sources.

This 3rd one has been great so far and i'm well over the recommended initial 200 hours run in period, this is widely considered the bare minimum ammount of time to run in any plasma tv and many sources beleive 300 hours to be the optimum ammount of run in time. My GT30 has had about 250 hours run in give or take, so far.

When it comes to gaming on my GT30 i have never had an issue with the green blobs since day one, i have never been able to spot them on any game i own and it has never appeared during gameplay or on the PS3 home screen or browser. I owned a 360 untill a month or so ago when i finally gave up owning two consoles due to the cost and again it wasn't noticable on there either, the home screen was clear from green blobs and the tv was really new at that point.

I'm convinced this a quality control issue as the effect has been of differing levels on all three of the tvs i have had, the first one was the worst of the three and they have got progressively better but it's never intruded into everyday use, culminating in the one i have now being great and as i have said before you can only notice very slight hints of green on the update screen or the initial set up menu.

I'm of the opinion that as your issue is intruding into your everyday use of the tv then it's simply faulty. I wouldn't be happy with what you are describing and as you now know that my GT30 doesn't have the same issue i would return it...hopefully just like myself it will be 3rd time lucky! :pray:

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, I've got the 50'' model which seems to be affected most by this issue by reading various other forums. I don't think it's faulty and I would almost guarantee it would be on a 3rd set if I replaced it. I contacted Panasonic and they said they were aware of the phenomenon and that their tech guys are looking into it. Whether anything will ever be done or not is another matter.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I would presume that it's to do with the bigger screen size that you are experiencing more of a problem then?

It's good to know that Panasonic are aware of the problem but what they will be able to do about it is another question...i can't see it being solved with a firmware update but i may be wrong and the thought of any sort of recall will fill the execs at Panasonic with dread considering their latest financial reports weren't good.

At best the outcome would be some sort of free repair for any affected tvs but i wouldn't hold your breath, being aware of a problem and doing something about it are two completely different things eh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts