Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Mechanism Noise?

Glen12

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering what people's experiences are with the mechanism noise from this player (I didn't notice this in the shops) as I have had players/auditioned some that were very distracting. I understand that there is always 'some' noise eminating from the players but some have been horrendous. I'm replacing my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 which isn't too bad with mechanism noise etc.

A

Anonymous

I've recently upgraded from the BDT-110 to the BDT-500.

Firstly, I didn't really experience any noise issues with the BDT-110, and certainly nothing to report noise-wise on the BDT-500. The 500 is far better quality all round, looks great, and the picture and especially the sound (through HDMI) are a step up.

Paul.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep agree with Paul i've had no noise issues atall from my BDT500 since purchase infact it produces far less noise than my previous BDT310 which did have a little bit of noise but never anything distracting, it's only since upgrading that i realise how noisy it was in comparison to the 500.

It's worth noting that in order to keep any noise to an absolute minimum make sure quick start is turned off as that does introduce some unwanted noise, the player is quick enough to load blurays anyway so it's a feature you don't need or will miss.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm....that is strange! Can't say i've noticed any buzzing when playing dvds on mine but then i've only tested it once when it was first set up, will play a few dvds this evening and report back.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I would say its more of a purring sound and defiantly louder playing dvds , blurays seem fine with only a slight mechanism noise when close to the drive.

A

Anonymous

I don't get any noise, be it DVD or Blu-ray. That said, I never put my head close to the drive (there is bound to be some noise). I certainly have never noticed any noise from my normal seating position, even during quiet scenes.

Paul.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Note that some noises can be exaggerated if these players are sitting on wooden or wooden type stands or racks. A bit of foam underneath (roughly the size of the player) can cut down on some noises quite a lot. Just double check after a film to see if the foam gets hot or not, just in case it needs ventilation underneath. If so, a few pieces of foam placed carefully to avoid these areas can still help a little.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I tested it again today played a few dvds some are louder than others but all seemed to have purring/buzz coming from the drive , just seems odd that blurays dont seem to make the same noise?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken said:
I tested it again today played a few dvds some are louder than others but all seemed to have purring/buzz coming from the drive , just seems odd that blurays dont seem to make the same noise?

I've throughly tested my BDT500 with dvds today and can report no such noises coming from my player, infact i was surprised just how good an upscaler it is. There is absolutely no purring/buzzing coming from my drive no matter which dvd i put in it, i tested it with 6 dvds and none of them even got a peep from the player so i've no idea what's going on with yours...perhaps it's worth exchanging it if it's a real issue for you.

It's also worth taking note of Frank Harveys advice before you take any action as isolating the player from the surface it's on can often solve this sort of issue, my Sony 570 BD player that's in my bedroom sits on my solid wood chest of drawers and got very noisy before i placed some squash balls cut in half under each corner of the player. After doing so i've not had any noise issues with the drive and it's nice and quiet.

Any surface or peice of equipment can cause unwanted noise so it's worth experimenting with squash balls cut in half, foam or any other sort of isolator to see if it solves the issue...for example my PS3 is isolated on some rubber feet i put together as it generates some noise if not, even though it sits on the same stand as my BDT500.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks, would I expect an exchange from the shop I purchased from if its only a month old ? or would I need to send it off to Panasonic?

cheers

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Personally i would try to isolate the player from whatever surface you have it on first and see if that solves the issue because you may well exchange the player and find you have exactly the same issue with the replacement, even if you just use cardboard, coasters or anything made from rubber or foam just to test it out.

If after trying that you still have the noise from the drive then take it back and exchange it, i can't tell you if the store will exchange it or not as i have no idea where you purchased it from and the policy of the store...there is only one way to find out, give them a call or pop in there and explain your issue. Most stores would simply swap the player over with minimal fuss as it's so new but of course there are exceptions so speak to your retailer but providing you bought it from a reputable dealer i can't see you having any problems getting a replacement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts