Panasonic DMP-BD55 now discontinued

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a quick heads up to anyone pondering buying one of these fantastic Blu-ray players. They have been discontinued, with the only remaining stock being the few players left at dealers.

A

Anonymous

Not sure yet, but this week's CES may reveal the answer.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
alsina:Just a quick heads up to anyone pondering buying one of these fantastic Blu-ray players. They have been discontinued, with the only remaining stock being the few players left at dealers.Where did you hear of this news alsina?

nads

well as i have just bought a BD player i am expecting to hear that BD is now dead.

emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

Is listed as discontinued in our Jan 2009 Panasonic price list.

A

Anonymous

alsina:Is listed as discontinued in our Jan 2009 Panasonic price list.

So do Panasonic have a current Blu Ray player? Has the BD35 gone the same way?

Incidentally, I just bought a BD55!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i dont think we need to regard this as meaning anything more than...well...it was the 2008 model. And yes, there may be a subtle implication that there will indeed be a 2009 model. I dunno whether companies like panasonic ever skip a year with these things or not.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
They seem to be rushing headlong to get new models out, probably to stay ahead of the competition - I can see Blu-Ray players getting very competitive in 2009 with a lot of manufacturers all competing, not just the Pannys, Samsungs and Sonys it has been up till now (in the budget area at least anyway) . As I remember the BD35 and BD55 models came out very soon after the BD30 and BD50 models (compared to normal release schedules anyway) and included several key features that were missing off the older models.

A

Anonymous

There's not an awful lot more features they can add into the unit, you wonder what exactly they're going to do?

If anyone is wondering what it's like, yes picture quality is great, but the first thing that hits you is the sound, even through the TV's speakers (I've got an old Toshiba 42WLT66 which only supports 1080i) The opening sequence of Blade Runner on Blu Ray made my jaw drop. I was turning my head to see what was making that noise over there...I'd never heard my TV sound that good.

I'm waiting on my new receiver being delivered (Yamaha RX-V1900) mid Jan, then I need to finally make up my mind between the Tannoy Revolution Signature 5.1 or the B&W 684 Theatre...I'm thinking the Tannoys, but the money saved could towards a nice new screen (which was never in the original plan, but you know how you get carried away!)

A

Anonymous

Damn just read this having just bought my BD-55

not being delivered (with other kit) until next week.

Do I wait? are the new players going to have anything more thats worth the wait?

A

Anonymous

to be fair the BD 55 is the product of the year and its now cheaper. so guessing its an ok deal.

And with such an update from the 50 to the 55 is there going to be such a hugh leap in features again?

by sunday we all may know.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm on the verge of buying a pansonic 42 or 46 pz80b, if i buy a DMP-BD 55 will it come with a warranty as it's now discontinued? Stupid question i know, it probably won't.

A

Anonymous

If you are buying it new, then why shouldn't it have a manufacturers warranty?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Discontinued just means they're no longer manufacturing it en masse for general sale - there's no cause for alarm! Whilst remaining stocks sell from dealers, these should all still come with a warranty.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:
I'm on the verge of buying a pansonic 42 or 46 pz80b, if i buy a DMP-BD 55 will it come with a warranty as it's now discontinued? Stupid question i know, it probably won't.

SOG Act normally covers you as much as a warranty and for longer...

A

Anonymous

is it pointless buying a piece of kit which is so soon to be replaced?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You'd never buy anything if that was the case.

All HC equipment is superceded in some way or another almost as soon as it's brought out.

They're already working on a better resolution than 1080p...higher capacity Bluray discs...3DTV...

Buy what you want when it has features that are suitable for your needs. Worry about getting the next feature or a step further along the 'included features' railroad when you upgrade.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
They'll hit a brick wall eventually, obviously, as our eyes can only take so much definition. I don't like the sound of 3d tv though, doesn't look lifelike at all. What are your views on me purchasing this beast of a machine? My situation at the moment is, i'm ordering the Panasonic PZ80B (42 or 46 inch, i can't decide, at all), i'm also going to buy this dvd player, http://www.soundandvision.co.uk/dvd/dvd-players/toshiba-xd-e500, will i be covered by the sale of goods act/trading standards/citizens advice bureau if anything goes wrong with it? Of course the final thing is the BD 55, like WHF say, it has everything we need in terms of picture quality etc. If this was you, would you buy the BD 55? I've heard of a BD 60 coming out, sorry to ask and irritate you, this is my first HDTV, that's all.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
for a touch of the legal angle - you will generally get a manufacturer's warranty - 12 month. The retailer will generally assist in these claims but the buck stops with the manufacturer.

the vendor has legal obligation to you pursuant to the SOG acts (quality, durability, corresponding to sample etc) - this means you go to talk to the shop, rather than [Sony/Panasonic etc]

The general position (tho it's not a hard & fast rule) is you are covered for defects for 12 months.

You can also buy "extended warranties". These are sold by the retailer but provided by a third-party (not manufacturer related at all). A three year extended warranty is actually (save in cases where it's not due to defect) a two-year warranty starting on the first anniverary of purchase. My bro works for a white goods retailer and they give heavy bonuses to staff to sell those extended warranties, as most kit goes pop in year one, so the manufacturer picks up the tab.

Discontinued models have NO bearing whatsoever on contractual, statutory or tortious rights. More topical, but retailers/manufacturers going bust does leave you a bit in limbo.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that. I'm still deciding on the Blu-Ray player, buy the BD 55 now or wait for the BD 60 to come out. I'll see what my instincts are when choosing my tv.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts