Panasonic 50gt50 Motion on SD

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Notice a lot of blurring especially on tennis and face close ups, robot like. Any other owners with this?

I turned on IFC and that corrected it to some extent.

Might need to leave this on (medium setting) for SD material.

Any advice from owners of this set?

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
Notice a lot of blurring especially on tennis and face close ups, robot like. Any other owners with this?

I am watching mine on Sky, and it is 100 per cent perfect. I am watching on normal factory settings - the out of box ones. Looks seriously good!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

I am watching mine on Sky, and it is 100 per cent perfect. I am watching on normal factory settings - the out of box ones. Looks seriously good!

From our previous discussions normal factory settings is IFC set to max? If so could you try turning it off and watching tennis, see if you get the same results as me. Mine is Sky too BBCHD. I've recorded the Federra match and I'm going to experiment with the settings.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

From our previous discussions normal factory settings is IFC set to max? If so could you try turning it off and watching tennis, see if you get the same results as me. Mine is Sky too BBCHD. I've recorded the Federra match and I'm going to experiment with the settings.

Yep, it is on max and looks perfect on tennis and football. I don't get any issues at all. I am a bit scared changing the settings to be honest, so would prefer not to. If on max you still get issues I would say there might be something wrong with it. I have seen three GT50's and all have been perfect on motion.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
mattjax05 said:
gel said:
mattjax05 said:

Yep, it is on max and looks perfect on tennis and football. I don't get any issues at all. I am a bit scared changing the settings to be honest, so would prefer not to. If on max you still get issues I would say there might be something wrong with it. I have seen three GT50's and all have been perfect on motion.

That's ok I understand - thanks for your help though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Perhaps someone else can take a look for you, because I know a lot of the others do change the settings.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
IFC should be set to Min for 50Hz TV content, or turned off completely. It should definitely be turned off when watching 24p Blu-ray content.

Honestly, IFC causes more problems than it solves; and the Mid and Max settings make motion look incredibly strange on all Panasonic plasmas.

You should also turn off all other image processing. You perhaps detailed this elsewhere, but which picture mode have you selected, and what other settings are you using?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
What's your 'sharpness' set to? I've found sharpness can cause issues with motion on plasma's if dialled up too high (usually keep mine on zero)

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
IFC should be set to Min for 50Hz TV content, or turned off completely. It should definitely be turned off when watching 24p Blu-ray content.

Honestly, IFC causes more problems than it solves; and the Mid and Max settings make motion look incredibly strange on all Panasonic plasmas.

You should also turn off all other image processing. You perhaps detailed this elsewhere, but which picture mode have you selected, and what other settings are you using?

No issues for 24p playback - all processing off and using the thx cinema mode.

With 50hz (normal mode and no processing) I don't like the motion of close up faces as apparent on the tennis earlier, IFC helped a little bit on min and a lot on max. But I know I dislike motion altogether on IFC max so left it at min - stuck between a rock an a hard place.

I have noticed the 'close up faces and motion' issue on other HD 50hz content. I don't think it's an issue for DVD as, as I understand it 'clear cinema' picks up the fact that the DVD fields are taken at the same point in time and doesn't apply unnecessary deinterlacing - I maybe wrong though.

SD 50hz seems ok but probably because the image isn't as sharp as HD so my eyes doesn't see it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What you're seeing is dynamic false contouring (DFC) and it's inherent to plasma technology. DFC is more prominent on certain content, especially, as you say, close ups of faces during panning shots. Panasonic plasmas are a bit DFC-prone, though some viewers are more sensitive to the issue than others.

IFC doesn't really improve DFC; it simply causes other motion related problems. You didn't mention which picture preset you're using, and what other settings you've input. If you list your settings, we might be able to help.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
What you're seeing is dynamic false contouring (DFC) and it's inherent to plasma technology. DFC is more prominent on certain content, especially, as you say, close ups of faces during panning shots. Panasonic plasmas are a bit DFC-prone, though some viewers are more sensitive to the issue than others.

IFC doesn't really improve DFC; it simply causes other motion related problems. You didn't mention which picture preset you're using, and what other settings you've input. If you list your settings, we might be able to help.

I read about DFC and wondered if that was what I was experiencing. For 50hz I use normal viewing mode and settings approx contrast 2/3, brightness 1/2, colour 1/3 and sharpness 3/10. No other changes and all processing is off.

Thanks.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Try contrast and colour both on a touch less than half (eg 48), and sharpness on zero? And IFC set to 'min'. Not saying that will fix it but helped minimise on mine so worth a go.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The GT50's Normal preset isn't the best with motion. It's also excessively bright, which doesn't help.

Try using Cinema or Professional modes with similar settings (and temperature set to "warm" for more accurate colour).

This won't eliminate DFC, but it may help a little.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts