Panasonic 46pz85 or Sony 46w4000?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Getting tele fatique - seem to be going around in circles. Thought I was going to go for the panny but the chap in the panasonic shop got me spooked. He really didn't want to show me what an upscales DVD picture looked like or what a SD freeview signal looked like - he just walked me around the shop and showed me examples on other models. I get the impression the wool was being pulled over my eyes - and he was trying to flog me an £80 lead with a Blue Ray player. Anyway will mostly be watching SD from V box,old DVD collection and will start to build up a new Blue Ray collection -oh yeah any ideas on a Blue Ray player budget £200. I'm a bit of a sony fan and brother has recently bought the 40" w4000 and seems happy. I just want a tele that will give good SD performance and a big screen to enjoy my movies - bit worried about screen burn issue with plasma as I have 3 little darlings who love their tele and always forget to turn it off. Any helpful comment would be appreciated!

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Buddy

The panasonic you have picked is a corker my freind has one and its superb, its very good with SD channels not brilliant but then most are not, i would not go back to this shop either especailly if he showed no interest and was trying to stear you to different products, i am not a sony fan myself but thats just a personal issue i would not want to spend money only to find i have a duff set, to many problems for my likeing, check out reviews where you can start with this site, google the models you have chosen try and get a demo with some DVDs/Blurays if you can, as for the players again Google the models and you should find what you are ;looking for both the sony and the panas are still available if you look and a little cheaper to, hope this helps a bit

Goodluck Andy

A

Anonymous

I hope you dont mind but I would like to enter the debate with the same problem but the other way round I was going for the Sony until I read the reports on clouding. I am now thinking of a Panasonic plasma but have the same concerns over screen burn. I again am going round in circles of which to go for?? More I read more confused I get although Panasonic always has a positive response but can someone answer the screen burn issue. We are not just talking a few minutes here.

A

Anonymous

As long as it's set up correctly, a modern plasma from a major player like Panasonic shouldn't give you any trouble. Just make sure that contrast isn't set too high. You will see image retention if you leave the same image on screen for a long time, but if it's set up correctly this should take hours not minutes. In any case it's nothing to worry about. Just switch to moving images and it'll soon disappear. More than once I've fallen asleep in front of my Pioneer, only to wake up hours later to find the Sky box asking for a PIN number for the next movie. You can see the outline of the menu for a while afterwards, and certainly the first time you see it, it's pretty scary. But it quickly disappears completely.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
The Panasonic , I have had 50pz81 since mid Novmber and for first couple of weeks would inspect screen close up after watching CH5 or Hallmark for 3-4 hours , never saw any retention (as Beaverme says keep your contrast low certainly for first 200 Hous) .

My paranoia is now gone and I don't check anymore just watch and enjoy. I'm mainly SD via V+ and SD is fine, perfectly watchable., I also have a Panny BD35 and watching normal DVD's are better upscaled not Blu ray quaty obviously tho. Can't understand salesman as chap in my Panny shop was perfectly happy to let me play around with remote and watch all the normal SD channels even the worst ITV daytime talk shows!

TRENDING THREADS