Panasonic 42GT30 runing very hot

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I recently purchased the 42GT30 for my bedroom and have noticed that after few hours it becomes very hot on both sides, glass as well as the back side, although it has plently of space around and from back brick wall it has good 4 cm space and radiator is 3 meters away. Has anyone else experienced same issue?

I am also very disappointed with SD picture quality, my 4 year old LCD still does a better job, but in HD content and black level it is the best TV I have ever seen. Viera connect is also superb very fast and picks up the contents from my NAS in a flash
smiley-laughing.gif
and picture quality is a also excellent.

Only issues are temperature and sd contents, I am concerned that long time usage specially watchig test or one-day cricket
smiley-embarassed.gif
will not damage the screen or raise other issues.

Are there any other precaution or steps I need to take during initial runing period?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Better get it checked under warranty. Plasma TV running very hot is unusual. Maybe the fan isn't working properly.

Depends on your definition of "very hot" I suppose, they run pretty warm but if you could fry an egg on it then I'd say that's probably too hot.

That review of the new Panasonic 50" someone linked to in the other thread mentions that on very bright scenes the TV will actually knock the output down a bit to stop the panel from overheating, so it's clearly an issue they're aware of.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thank you both for your feedback, I wouldn't say I can fry an egg on it but certainly on a cold evening it can make my face & hands warm :).

I will see if I can take it down from wall and see if fans are runing but it will be big hassel for me after spending good few hours neatly adjusting wall mount and hiding all wiring.

This TV is only one week old, I am wondering is it worth returning it and moving to newer GT50 but then I have to double the price or are there any other plasma options? Also reading the new GT50 review I am wondering if its justified to pay almost twice the price of GT30.

I wanted to buy LED but they have clouding issues and black levels are not as impressive as plasmas.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
NigelF said:
Also reading the new GT50 review I am wondering if its justified to pay almost twice the price of GT30.

Part of the price difference you mention is the fact that the GT50 review is for a 50" panel whereas you have a 42" panel, plus of course new models always start off at a high price.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Laserman I bought the 42GT30 for 599 and price of new 42GT50 will be twice. Anyway, today I spent good one hour in the largest TV retailer near my place and observed all Panasonic, LG and Samsung plasma. I am must admit I am much relieved to state that my plasma runs as hot as the one in the shop runing for good full day.

Amongst all the Panasonic plasmas the GT30 runs the hotest, next is ST30 and coolest is VT30, LG plasmas also run at same level as VT30 but Samsung for some strange reasons are coolest of all, front and back panel both were not hot at all.

So IMHO I think there something definitly something not good in GT30 series, I spoke to panasonic person as well and according to him it is not a problem, but I wonder after a year or so it will not burn something inside.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
NigelF said:
I recently purchased the 42GT30 for my bedroom and have noticed that after few hours it becomes very hot on both sides, glass as well as the back side, although it has plently of space around and from back brick wall it has good 4 cm space and radiator is 3 meters away. Has anyone else experienced same issue?

I am also very disappointed with SD picture quality, my 4 year old LCD still does a better job, but in HD content and black level it is the best TV I have ever seen. Viera connect is also superb very fast and picks up the contents from my NAS in a flash
smiley-laughing.gif
and picture quality is a also excellent.

Only issues are temperature and sd contents, I am concerned that long time usage specially watchig test or one-day cricket
smiley-embarassed.gif
will not damage the screen or raise other issues.

Are there any other precaution or steps I need to take during initial runing period?

Bought mine today and being running it for almost 5-hours as I type. The back of the set is cold and the screen barely warm so perhaps there is a problem (this is my first plasma so I can't compare)Not particularly impressed with SD-TV so far but will wait to see how it looks once I've run it in and set it up properly, but it is pretty soft at the mo. Don't have Sky/Virgin and the tuner isn't really picking up Freeview HD, keeps breaking up and losing signal but PQ seems excellent from what bits I've seen! Have the same problem with my Panny DVD recorder struggling with tuning in to some channels, so will try it out with my seperate HD box tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be no problems there as it's a bril tuner.With regards to other SD, spun "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on DVD earlier and was WELL impressed. Good movie for checking out blacks and motion, and it never put a foot wrong to my eyes. It really was so cinematic it was untrue, and that's with everything turned down and nothing really set up so very happy so far. Don't have many Blu Rays at the mo to be honest, but sure that will change very soon!, and really looking forward to digging some out tomorrow.

Bought mine today and being running it for almost 5-hours as I type. The back of the set is cold and the screen barely warm so perhaps there is a problem (this is my first plasma so I can't compare)

Not particularly impressed with SD-TV so far but will wait to see how it looks once I've run it in and set it up properly, but it is pretty soft at the mo. Don't have Sky/Virgin and the tuner isn't really picking up Freeview HD, keeps breaking up and losing signal but PQ seems excellent from what bits I've seen! Have the same problem with my Panny DVD recorder struggling with tuning in to some channels, so will try it out with my seperate HD box tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be no problems there as it's a bril tuner.

With regards to other SD, spun "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on DVD earlier and was WELL impressed. Good movie for checking out blacks and motion, and it never put a foot wrong to my eyes. It really was so cinematic it was untrue, and that's with everything turned down and nothing really set up so very happy so far. Don't have many Blu Rays at the mo to be honest, but sure that will change very soon!, and really looking forward to digging some out tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts