Panasonic 32LXD700

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a 32" LCD and from what I've seen and read this LCD seems to be the best. I've been advised by a local dealer to wait for the new Panasonic 2008 range as it will be a 1080p version. Does anyone have any more information or advice? I'm also tempted to buy online as they are generally cheaper, but they only offer 1 year warranty, whereas John Lewis and my local dealer offer a 5 year warranty. Is it worth paying the extra for the warranty and in the case of my local dealer for them to set it up?

A

Anonymous

Yes, yes, yes the Panny LXD700 is a really good tv. Your dealer is correct about there being a 1080p 32" model in Panasonic's 2008 range. Arguably, a full HD (1080p) resolution on a 32" set is not really necessary as you probably won't be able to differentiate between 1080p and 720p unless you are right up close to the tv. Whether or not you need 1080p also depends on what sources you will be using - if you are only going to be watching Freeview from the set's built-in digital tuner, then there is no need for a 1080p resolution. In fact, having a 1080p resolution could quite possibly give you a worse picture with standard-def sources as there has to be more upscaling to make the content fit the screen. If you will be watching upscaled DVDs then, again I think that a tv with just a 720p resolution would be best. If you are going to be watching high-def content though, then you should consider a 1080 tv. Blu-ray discs are 1080p, and Sky HD and Virgin both output in 1080i, making a 1080p tv perfect for both HDTV and Blu-ray.

So, if you need 1080p, then you will have to wait, if you don't need full HD then you can get the 32LXD700 now or you can wait for the 2008 range to come out and then hopefully get a 32LXD700 for a discounted price...

Peter Bleakley

Feb 21, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

I would imagine that if I wanted to be completely future proof (as much as I can be!) then the 1080 would be a good bet, particularly if FreeSat is as good as it sounds later in the Spring. I would also imagine that Sky would reduce their charge for HD if FreeSat takes off.

Any ideas on the warranty thing as I'm still a little sceptical of paying anything up to £350 more in a shop rather than the internet for the extended warranty. The local dealers always say that some of the cost is for their experience in setting up the TV. Surely it can't be that hard? Or am I missing something crucial?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

I've just ordered the Panasonic 32LXD700 from JL and have found it hard to get my hands on one as most stores are out of stock and will not be having any more in!!! So the idea of waiting until the 800 comes out and hoping for the 700 price to come down is a no no as they wont be any about. I've heard the 800 is out in June.

A

Anonymous

what about the Sharp LC32X20E, Full HD 1080p and in stock most areas

A

Anonymous

From an aesthetically orientated perspective, I much prefer the 2007 Panasonic range, in particular the stunning 32LXD700 which I think is a brilliant example of functional (although quite swanky) beauty, particularly when wall mounted. Also, the PX70 plasmas just look so cool, again best when wall mounted. So cool that is, in an understated sort of way, which is in contrast to the "swanky" 32LXD700. Also, the LMD70 and LXD70 sets (both 26" and 32") are coolly functional and purposefully stylish. And the LZD70 / PZ70 models I first thought were not as sexy as the older LX / PX models, but eventually I came to like these sexy beasts too.

However, whilst the 2008 models may be cool and sylish, they just don't inspire me like the 2007ers. I feel that it is the end of a great and wonderful era.

As you may have realised, I am a fan of the 2007 Panny range, and I am worried that if I do not raise the funds in due time I will forever lose the chance of owning one of these tv supermodels...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts