Paint removal....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have just acquired a pair of second-hand speakers that have some dried paint marks on the underside. I was aware of it when I bought them so no issues there but is there a safe way to remove it or reduce it that anyone knows of without destroying the finish on them?

Thanks!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Unless we know what paint actually got stuck , won't be easy to recommend a paint remover for it. As it is out of sight and below, can't you consider leaving it there. Will not risk damaging the finish at all...

But if you have to, I was taught to wet the floor with water before painting the bulkeads on a boat. So the spilled paint can be wiped clean with a cloth. Maybe you can try that...wet the wood veneer lightly or oil it..and then apply a paint remover very locally on the paint stain. Might not be perfect...but that's the best I could think of...all the best

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Unless we know what paint actually got stuck , won't be easy to recommend a paint remover for it. As it is out of sight and below, can't you consider leaving it there. Will not risk damaging the finish at all...

But if you have to, I was taught to wet the floor with water before painting the bulkeads on a boat. So the spilled paint can be wiped clean with a cloth. Maybe you can try that...wet the wood veneer lightly or oil it..and then apply a paint remover very locally on the paint stain. Might not be perfect...but that's the best I could think of...all the best

It is tricky as, equally, I don't really know what paint it is but it looks like pretty standard white gloss or emulsion.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Or a hair dryer with a temperature setting by any chance. Even dried paint usually gets softened and peels under heat. You can wet the wood venneer surrounding the paint nicely and trying the paint stain only with a heat gun. This should make the paint layer peel off if it is dissimilar to the underlying venneer finish. No harm in trying this, this will not damage the original finish in any way.

I could imagine very fine sanding might do the job, with other areas masked carefully including the drivers and any ports - because of the dust. Then restain if necessary. But first I'd ask the manufacturer what they suggest and clarify how they treat the original finish.

D

Deleted member 108165

Removal method will depend very much on what type of paint it is: water based or oil based, (gloss or emulsion).

You need to burnish the affected area with extra fine wire wool and a little meths. Once the paint and surrounding areas is clean and matt looking, buy either some wax or stain (diluted half and half with meths) that most closely matches the rest of the cabinets. But remeber the more wax or stain you add this will darken the finish.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont know if they have done any speakers but I can recommend a Surface Repairs company as these types of fixes or changes is what they do.
http://www.fixation-repairs.co.uk/

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If the speakers were wall mounted then the paint is likely to be emulsion. So a damp rag (warm water is better) should be able to lift the paint splashes.

Please do not sand the speakers or use wire wool or solvents unless as a last resort!

If the paint is not water based, then you could try using a razor blade laid flat against the surface and just push it along where the paint spots are. If you are lucky the razor blade will just peel off or nib the paint without causing any surface damage. I've used his technique on paint spots on a wooden floor.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Paulq said:
I have just acquired a pair of second-hand speakers that have some dried paint marks on the underside. I was aware of it when I bought them so no issues there but is there a safe way to remove it or reduce it that anyone knows of without destroying the finish on them?

Thanks!

If on the underside, then who cares ?

No, IT WILL NOT affect the sound neither.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts