Pacific Rim and After Earth - any good?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Looking for some good eye candy for my system and thought of these two, what do you think? :cheers:

Paul.

Pacific Rim is definitely eye candy, its great fun. As long as you are not expecting too much from the plot its very enjoyable.

Not seen after earth, too much Jaden Smith.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
Looking for some good eye candy for my system and thought of these two, what do you think?

Not seen either yet, however read lots of comments/reviews: The general consensus seems to be "great spectacle yet nonsensical" for the former and "mostly crap" for the latter.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Pacific Rim is a great film. Thin plot but awesome visuals. Its giant robots vs monsters! After Earth is, well, dire.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
You've probably seen it, but If not Oblivion's got great picture quality.

Pacific Rim, just leave your brain at the door and enjoy it for what it is.

After Earth, haven't seen it, won't see it. Not Will Smiths biggest fan, also heard it's loosely based on Scientology, could be here say though.

A good film if you're OK with subtitles is the Orphanage, nice creepy story.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I love pacific rim - its my most recent test disc for all aspects picture, 3D and sound. I also really love the film for the most part

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Pacific Rim is great! Makes a great 3D test disc and is brilliant eye candy, I really enjoyed it and is very underrated.

After Earth...simply don't bother gel!! Utter dire, painful rubbish that I hated. It's just a self indulgent load of tosh that should never have been made, Will and Jaden wrote the story...enough said eh. It's like some exec just said Will Smith plus sci fi equals box office gold...in this case it equals 90mins of your life you won't get back. Give it a wide berth mate.

+1 for Oblivion though as I thoroughly enjoyed it and is excellent eye candy.

T

theflyingwasp

I own both on steelbook .pacific rim is awesome from start to finish just turn your brain off.as others have said it is sheer eye candy the fight scene in Hong Kong is an excellent demo scene in fact the whole film is.

as for after earth yet again it is an amazing looking film I think it was one of the first to be filmed in 4k except for the special effects but the story and acting is just horrific M.Night.shamalamadingdong needs to stop making movies I don't know where he gets the funding from after destroying a possible multi-billion dollar franchise with THE LAST AIRBENDER ,the laughing stock that was the multi oscar winner THE HAPPENING and now the mess that was AFTER EARTH I don't think we will be seeing him for a while.if we do I bet it's a very small budget film with excellent story and shock twist ending to put him back on top.

to be fair tho will smith did most of the pushing to get after earth made .i feel it was an exercise to put his son in the spotlight that backfired badly.

if you thought gravity and captain Phillips were absolute rubbish gel I don't hold out much hope for you with these films.

theflyingwasp said:
as for after earth yet again it is an amazing looking film I think it was one of the first to be filmed in 4k

Knowing and District 9 in 2009 were amongst the first films shot in 4K. Majority of 2-part Che (2008 ) was shot in 4K. Many films since then (The Amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus, Hobbit etc.) have all been shot in 4K.

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
as for after earth yet again it is an amazing looking film I think it was one of the first to be filmed in 4k

Knowing and District 9 in 2009 were amongst the first films shot in 4K. Majority of 2-part Che (2008 ) was shot in 4K. Many films since then (The Amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus, Hobbit etc.) have all been shot in 4K.

after earth was the first film shot and presented in 4k using the cinealta f65 camera but a lot of the special effects were shot in 2k to save time.after earth was made before Prometheus and the amazing Spider-Man but it was released after Prometheus and before Spider-Man.

All it means is that some cinemas in the US bought 4K projectors in 2013, and After Earth was the first film to be presented in 4K in US theatres. No relevance to us at all. Red One 4K camera was being sold from 2007, while Sony's F65 began selling from 2010-2011.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts