Outboard DAC Reviews

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Just got in the new baby USB DAC from Trends Audio, unforturnately too late for the group test. I'll endeavour to get some hand-on impressions up on the site in the next few days.

It's amazing how many of these smaller companies are producing DAC's now, I'd never even heard of Trends Audio. Depending on how much that costs it looks quite good...ÿ

A

Anonymous

My god, surely they won't sell it at that over here? If they do and it's any good Stanley will have to have a rethink!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SC:Cheers Thaiman...the 220 is the better model, yes? I've never had a separate DAC before actually, I just need to narrow down the exact model or two....

The 220 have more functions but debatable if it's much better. if you can find a D200 which have a "Class A preamp" build in then that would be the one I go for, I really miss my old one!

A

Anonymous

Wow....for 65 quid, if as claimed it can cut out the interference, whine and static produced from the fans and 4 internal drives on both my Mac towers, I'll have a couple if for no other reason.....!

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a Tag McLaren DAC20 and it sounds great. I use it with my Sony Freeview box, Sky box and Pinnacle Showcenter digital media player. It sounds great plus great build. Sadly they aren't made any more since Audiolab has re-emerged and Tag disappearing. You can buy them on eBay for around £300.

A

Anonymous

I've gotta say even though I dislike CA that DAC has an amazing array of features. Some seem a bit unnecessary some seem genius.ÿ

I don't care though. If it don't provide a sound/money benefit it doesn't matter.ÿ

John Duncan

Octopo:
I've gotta say even though I dislike CA that DAC has an amazing array of features. Some seem a bit unnecessary some seem genius.ÿ

I don't care though. If it don't provide a sound/money benefit it doesn't matter.ÿ

Of course. But if it's the 640p of DACs, let's be 'avin' you (as Delia would say)............

John Duncan

No, hence my question further up. But I mean if it is as good and cheap (both relative to others) as the likes of the 640p (their genius product, IMO)........

Andrew - how much is it? Sub-£150? And clues to performance after the group test (hey, I subscribe anyway, you might as well tell me.......)?

Edit - sorry, I only asked for pictures further up........

A

Anonymous

£200 but its cheaper than a night with suzy the fluzzy and looks a damn site better :)

just a few more days till the WHF review is out. Im hopefull it will compair with the 840c there £750 player that one reviewer elsewhere thought the best under £1000. One site drew a direct link between the two products. http://enghddev.weblogsinc.com/2008/09/04/cambridge-audio-intros-dacmagic-upsampling-digital-to-analog-con/

Im also told whf found the 640, which is there other upsampling player, the best under £500 but i really should check that fact before posting. Im guessing its the gubbins from one of these players though, so at £200 it cant be bad.

Im very interested as i have pc and hifi but as yet there still waiting to get it together. This could be just the meal ticket.

Luke... stop downloading music, or the force really will be with you :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
friendly1_uk:
£200 but its cheaper than a night with suzy the fluzzy and looks a damn site better :)

just a few more days till the WHF review is out. Im hopefull it will compair with the 840c there £750 player that one reviewer elsewhere thought the best under £1000. One site drew a direct link between the two products. http://enghddev.weblogsinc.com/2008/09/04/cambridge-audio-intros-dacmagic-upsampling-digital-to-analog-con/

Im also told whf found the 640, which is there other upsampling player, the best under £500 but i really should check that fact before posting. Im guessing its the gubbins from one of these players though, so at £200 it cant be bad.

Im very interested as i have pc and hifi but as yet there still waiting to get it together. This could be just the meal ticket.

Luke... stop downloading music, or the force really will be with you :)

You are almost right. The DAC Magic has the same DAC as the 740C which has won lots of great reviews and costs £500.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:But has the same DSP gizmos as the 840, so might be somwhere in between the two.

John are you just going to connect yours to your AE or do you think that it might make your knobs sound better too?

John Duncan

Well I will try both obv, but if I only use it for the AE then it will be less, um, conspicuous.......
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well I will try both obv, but if I only use it for the AE then it will be less, um, conspicuous.......
emotion-5.gif

Mine is going to look very obvious! I'm selling my Arcam dvd player and plan to get a Sony Bluray player which will be used as transport to the DAC. If it doesn't sound very good (and I don't see why it won't), I will buy a cd player. So, I will have new bluray player, new DAC, and an Airport Express and I'm getting a new AV receiver too! Hopefully my old one and my Arcam dvd player will sell for a decent amount and I can throw in some spiel including future proofing and it won't be too bad an argument.

A

Anonymous

Ive just been reading up.

540 gets 1 dac

640 gets two of them, one per channel.

dacmagic gets a texas instruments 196khz signal processor and the two dacs

740 gets an analog devices 384khz signal processor and the two dac

840 gets both signal processor and pair of dacs from analog devices.

All 3 upsamplers get there ' Adapted Time Filtering' technology applied.

Roll on the 18th :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts