Out with the old...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

OK, standmount speakers on stands are out. That's a personal choice I've made on the basis of minimising the risk of an accident. It's got nothing to do with me telling my kids "don't touch" (Nick 21), nor the lack of understanding what the difference is between a floorstander and a standmounted speaker (chebby - Dave nailed it by the way) and much as I'd love to hang the risk with it all, they'd be in free space (Igglebert); it's a non-starter right now.

Like it or not, it's a risk I've got on my radar for now. I don't care if someone's had 50 kids in their living room at once, never mind 17 over the years, it makes no odds and I'm happy to reduce that level of risk. Simply telling the kids "don't touch" is only part of it, but I'm not naive enough to believe that's all I need to worry about - the same applies around the home and we do what we can to make sure out kids are okay without being overbearing about it.

The Missions have many plus points, not least that they sound good as well as being pretty solid (18kgs each), so, without their spikes, they're solid enough. They'll do for a good while yet.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:Surprised to see you are considering parting with the Sansui RS, but I can see the sense behind your reasons. Have you thought about a Marantz PM8003?

No improvement over the Sansui Matt - the sound quality isn't the issue at stake. IMO the Sansui's as peerless as I could wish for soundwise, but my requirements are a little different now. The additional connectivity would be useful and to date, the HK990 is streets ahead of anything else in the stereo integrated market. Nothing else comes close outwith the AV Receiver market.

matthewpiano

the record spot:matthewpiano:Surprised to see you are considering parting with the Sansui RS, but I can see the sense behind your reasons. Have you thought about a Marantz PM8003?

No improvement over the Sansui Matt - the sound quality isn't the issue at stake. IMO the Sansui's as peerless as I could wish for soundwise, but my requirements are a little different now. The additional connectivity would be useful and to date, the HK990 is streets ahead of anything else in the stereo integrated market. Nothing else comes close outwith the AV Receiver market.

Fair call RS. The HK looks to be a pretty special piece of kit and I'm sure you would really enjoy it. Hope this all works out for you. Keep us posted.

T

the record spot

Blackdawn:Good choice on the Missions. What are you planning to change, the amp and cd player?

Keeping the Missions - had them for a while now and they're excellent. Just the amp. I have the Sony Blu-Ray player and it works well with the Spitfire II - still establishing if it's better or just different from the SA7001-KI. Either way, it's a good partnership given what I paid for them (effectivley £150 given the Sony was a freebie!). I could get an Arcam CD192 for a very nice price, but I don't really need another CD player - that's just box swapping again (though keen readers will have noticed that potentially, I might just be doing that anyway).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Like it or not, it's a risk I've got on my radar for now. I don't care if someone's had 50 kids in their living room at once, never mind 17 over the years, it makes no odds and I'm happy to reduce that level of risk. Simply telling the kids "don't touch" is only part of it, but I'm not naive enough to believe that's all I need to worry about - the same applies around the home and we do what we can to make sure out kids are okay without being overbearing about it.

I hope you don't let the kids (or the adults) near clothes, tea cosies, vegetables, sofas, shoes/trainers, cotton buds, clothes baskets...

http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=2500903

T

the record spot

Just being sensible Chebby; it's kind of an easy choice for me, I can live with it.

T

the record spot

Tried that first. That's when they first made tin tacks. My learning curve went up faster than a - let's leave it at that for one night...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts