Out with the Arcam in with the Naim!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
For a while now I have been considering my options for upgrade of my current stereo. I have a Arcam CD82, A85 and P85. When I demoed my current setup I also tried out some Cyrus kit that I really liked, and in one of the Bristol shows I remember being amazed by the Naim room.

So went to my local Audio T (formerly Audio Excellence) earlier with a view to trying out Naim. I was so incredibly impressed by the CD5i and Nait 5i combination, that against my original plan of just listening I went and bought a CD5i. Got a reasonable discount, and got in there prior to an apparant price increase in April. Result!

I dont know why I didnt consider Naim in my last set of purchases - guess it was the price. But so glad I did now. The detailed sound is amazing and music becomes more involving and exciting that with my current setup. CD82 and P85 appearing on eBay very soon!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
EvilWolf:Good choice - what speakers do you use?

My current setup has B&W DM 603 S3. The guy in the shop reckons the amp will drive most speakers pretty well, so these will be the last thing I am changing (if I decide to change them).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We agree, and think that the CD5i and Nait 5i is a seriously strong pairing even in spite of their modest (in comparison to some) price rise. But then I suppose everything has gone up, so it's a level playing field really.

We've done many dems against other combinations from the likes of Arcam, Cyrus, Roksan etc, and most people will walk out with the Naim. The Naim has better drive than most amps due to their minimalist nature, and tends to draw you into the music more, making it a far more enjoyable experience. We'd urge anyone looking at a matching amp and CD pairing to give the Naim a fair try, as they'll probably be pretty surprised. I think some people ignore Naim because of what others say about it, but many people have only heard Naim at shows or just repeat what other people say. The combination of the Nait 5i, CD5i, and ATC SCM11's currently in our dem room is a stonking system for less than £2,500. The ATC's do prefer something a little more meaty for higher volumes though due to their 85db sensitivity, ideally a 122x/150x pre/power or SuperNait.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:
For a while now I have been considering my options for upgrade of my current stereo.ÿ I have a Arcam CD82, A85 and P85.ÿ When I demoed my current setup I also tried out some Cyrus kit that I really liked, and in one of the Bristol shows I remember being amazed by the Naim room.

So went to my local Audio T (formerly Audio Excellence) earlier with a view to trying out Naim.ÿ I was so incredibly impressed by the CD5i and Nait 5i combination, that against my original plan of just listening I went and bought a CD5i.ÿ Got a reasonable discount, and got in there prior to an apparant price increase in April.ÿ Result!

I dont know why I didnt consider Naim in my last set of purchases - guess it was the price.ÿ But so glad I did now.ÿ The detailed sound is amazing and music becomes more involving and exciting that with my current setup.ÿ CD82 and P85 appearing on eBay very soon!

ÿ

ÿ

If I were you, I would try the new Naim with both Arcam amps before selling the P85.

Having had a CD92 which whilst very nice, was ever so laid back I can understand you wanting something more lively. However, I think you'll get a much better sound with the A85/P85 than just the A85 on its own.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:

My current setup has B&W DM 603 S3.ÿ The guy in the shop reckons the amp will drive most speakers pretty well, so these will be the last thing I am changing (if I decide to change them).

I also think your kit deserves far far better speakers. They would be the next upgrade on my list. You should be looking to spend £1000 ish.

ÿ

ÿ

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:JamesOK:
For a while now I have been considering my options for upgrade of my current stereo. I have a Arcam CD82, A85 and P85. When I demoed my current setup I also tried out some Cyrus kit that I really liked, and in one of the Bristol shows I remember being amazed by the Naim room.

So went to my local Audio T (formerly Audio Excellence) earlier with a view to trying out Naim. I was so incredibly impressed by the CD5i and Nait 5i combination, that against my original plan of just listening I went and bought a CD5i. Got a reasonable discount, and got in there prior to an apparant price increase in April. Result!

I dont know why I didnt consider Naim in my last set of purchases - guess it was the price. But so glad I did now. The detailed sound is amazing and music becomes more involving and exciting that with my current setup. CD82 and P85 appearing on eBay very soon!

If I were you, I would try the new Naim with both Arcam amps before selling the P85.

Having had a CD92 which whilst very nice, was ever so laid back I can understand you wanting something more lively. However, I think you'll get a much better sound with the A85/P85 than just the A85 on its own.

Fair enough - I'll give em a try! I am in the end looking to bin the A85 also and get the Naim amp, ideally I'd like a home trial to compare the two side by side.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:JamesOK:

My current setup has B&W DM 603 S3. The guy in the shop reckons the amp will drive most speakers pretty well, so these will be the last thing I am changing (if I decide to change them).

I also think your kit deserves far far better speakers. They would be the next upgrade on my list. You should be looking to spend £1000 ish.

What kind of thing would you be looking at Joel?

A

Anonymous

Good combo but remember Naim loves to keep it simple so don't expect headphone sockets

for speakers try PMC DB1's / Proac signature tablette/ Neat Motive 2's - in that order for cost

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JamesOK:JoelSim:JamesOK:

What kind of thing would you be looking at Joel?

I personally would look at Neat, ProAc, Dali and PMC at that price level, maybe Tannoy.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow nice change.

IMO your system, as agreeing with Joel; would suit better speakers. The B&W CM5's and CM7's would suit the Arcam amps down to a tee IMO as would the MS Mezzo 6's and the M/A RS6's.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Wow nice change.

IMO your system, as agreeing with Joel; would suit better speakers. The B&W CM5's and CM7's would suit the Arcam amps down to a tee IMO as would the MS Mezzo 6's and the M/A RS6's.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to?

Hi Dan, I will be getting rid of my amps in the end to replace with the Nait 5i so I'll have to do some research about speaker choices when the time comes.

Music - er, I never know what to say when people ask me this as I have a fairly broad spectrum. I listen to a lot of electronica stuff like Hot Chip, Burial, Justice, Daft Punk. But then also a lot of guitar rocky indie type stuff Elbow, Foals, Friendlly Fires at the moment.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

JoelSim - out of interest, and mainly because of your post - I did an experiment last night. I stuck a CD on, listened to a couple of tracks then unplugged my P85 and listened again. I've had the two amps so long I'd forgotten what difference the P85 makes. Incidentally you're right. I wont be getting rid of the P85 any time soon. At least the two of them A85 & P85 should go somewhere towards paying for that Naim Nait 5i when I eventually get round to purchasing it...

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts