OS X Mavericks

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Me Too Prof,plus icloud keychain will be more useful for me now too.Must make a nespresso latte now with our new de longi machine.Hows your citiz with milk doing. I gave mine to my daughter who is addicted like me :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Had to get a replacement because the milk frother stopped working properly (fortunately bought from Lakeland who replaced it with a new one, no questions asked). Since then, all good. Had an espresso earlier on which I'm getting into more since our trip to Italy :)

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know if the following programs work with Mavericks?

Handbrake

SuperDuper

MakeMKV

Subler

Synology Assistant

as I've not been able to find anything defnitive via google (other search engines available!) but I think they may not yet have been updated. Grateful for any views.

thanks alot

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just downloading it now. I expected to pay the usual $25 / £22 for this. 'Free' was a pleasant surprise. Of possible relevance to fellow 'computer-Fi' enthusiasts, the guys at BitPerfect are all celebrating that it finally re-supports Integer Mode, something that the last two versions of OSX have not. Don't even go there because I've no idea what it means or why it's so important and even if someone explained it I doubt I'd fully grasp it, but apparently it's Good Thing.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:

Handbrake

SuperDuper

MakeMKV

Subler

Synology Assistant

as I've not been able to find anything defnitive via google (other search engines available!) but I think they may not yet have been updated. Grateful for any views.

thanks alot

Super Duper works for sure. I'll see if I can test Handbrake and Synology Assistant for you (don't have the others).

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Chisy1 said:

Handbrake

SuperDuper

MakeMKV

Subler

Synology Assistant

thanks alot

Super Duper works for sure. I'll see if I can test Handbrake and Synology Assistant for you (don't have the others).

Thanks Professor, these are definitely the three most important of the list so look forward to your feedback

Chisy

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
Need to get some info online to see what's under the hood...

For that, it's (as always) hard to beat the Ars Technica review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Thanks Professor, these are definitely the three most important of the list so look forward to your feedback

Sorry, rebuilding my main Mac with a clean install at the same time - Synology Assistant definitely works. Will test Handbrake tomorrow.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Thanks prof and rob, time for me to upgrade. Now I just need to decide whether to do a clean install

Word of warning - if you do the clean install from a USB stick, it doesn't create the recovery partition which means things like Find My Mac and FileVault2 can't be enabled (I've just discovered this). It seems the easiest way to get the recovery partition created is not to use the bootable USB stick, but install it from the downloaded "Install OS X Mavericks.app" (but also take a copy of the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" application from the Applications folder to a USB stick before you start in case you need it again - saves 5 GB of your allowance!). When it reboots, choose then to erase your Mac drive using the Disk Utility option prior to starting the install.

You may already know this, but I didn't and have had to install it a few times before getting it right!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This is the first new OS X our old iMac will not be compatible with. (Although we still use Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it).

I guess it might be time to buy a new 21.5" iMac one day. (Given that our existing one is now six and a half year's old.)

However, it is still working well for what we need of it.

(We have two other much more recent and much higher spec PC systems and my work system too.)

Might just get a Mac Mini instead. Even the base model will have an amazing spec compared to our old iMac.

(New iMacs are £1149 and Mac Minis are £499.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts