Ortofon OM10 cartridge and stylus

Hiya

I have a Pro-Ject debut 3 turntable that has the factory fitted Ortofon OM5E cartridge with the letters "OMB" on the side of the cartridge. A few years ago I upgraded the factory fitted Ortofon 5 stylus to an Ortofon OM10 stylus. Now I need to replace my worn stylus, and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading the cartridge at the same time.

My choices are to keep the factory fitted OM5E cartridge and replace the OM10 stylus with the same stylus model, or to replace the factory fitted cartridge with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge and replace the OM10 stylus with the same stylus model.

In other words - I'm going to replace my worn stylus with the same model, is it worth upgrading the cartridge at the same time?

Can anyone recommend either of these two choices, or suggest any other practical possibilities?

Cheers

Chris

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I would purchase a jico om30 stylus and use your current cartridge.

I have done this and the jico is far better than the om10 it replaced, more detailed and just better sounding.

The ortofon om20 or 30 may sound even better but very expensive.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure the cartridge body is the same across the OM range, unless you count the OM-P cartridge body for P-mount turntables. So I don't think there's any benefit to be had from upgrading the body at the same time.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

This is from the Needledoctor website:

"The Super OM stylus units are also compatible with all the bodies of the entire ortofon OMP line. IF you own an OM cartridge, you are able to enjoy the improved stylus and cantilever technology of the Super OM range. However, it takes a Super OM body with Ortofon's new magnetic circuitry to realize the full Super OM potential."

I have a Super OM20 cartridge and needle, and can highly recommend it. You can buy them on ebay here

daytona600

Burto said:
Hi,

I would purchase a jico om30 stylus and use your current cartridge.

I have done this and the jico is far better than the om10 it replaced, more detailed and just better sounding.

The ortofon om20 or 30 may sound even better but very expensive.

stick with the ortofon not jico
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING SAS PRODUCTSThanks to your gracious support in the past we are honored by the recent prosperity you have brought us and offer our deepest gratitude. Regarding the Super Analogue Stylus, which has long enjoyed your continued patronage, it has become most difficult to obtain the necessary parts, despite our best efforts. We regret to announce that all future sales will be discontinued. We endeavor to refine the original design and bring you the next generation of Super Analogue Stylus as soon as possible. Your continued patronage is much appreciated as we undergo this product transition. Affected Products:Future sales of all record styli utilizing the SAS (Super Analogue Stylus) tip have been suspended, effective immediately.

Hiya

Thanks for the advices. I saw on William Thakker that the Ortofon stylus 10 is £38 and a Ortofon OM10 cartridge plus OM10 stylus is £40.

I think I'll go for the OM10 cartidge plus stylus and suffer the annoyance of changing the cartidge wires unless anyone wishes to dissuade me?

Cheers

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Christopher Ward said:
I think I'll go for the OM10 cartidge plus stylus and suffer the annoyance of changing the cartidge wires unless anyone wishes to dissuade me?

Yeah you're wasting your time, by all accounts I've ever read they share the same body so you may as well just swap the stylus, but if you really want to do it just for the experience then go right ahead.

I understand now Major, thanks. I ordered an OM10 stylus a minute ago. It's £30 on W Thakker's ebay if you buy the product described in the german language, but £38 if you buy the same product described in the english language. That's £8 to spend on some vinyl!

Christopher Ward said:
I understand now Major, thanks. I ordered an OM10 stylus a minute ago. It's £30 on W Thakker's ebay if you buy the product described in the german language, but £38 if you buy the same product described in the english language. That's £8 to spend on some vinyl!

Your talking about a very basic cartridge, so bear in mind import duty and VAT if you've in the UK.

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No fans of jico here it appears but for 45 quid the jico om30 stylus is far better than the ortofon om10.

Agree the genuine ortofon om20/30 are a major step up from the om10 and are more than likely better than the jico.

Bang for buck though its a no brainer

TRENDING THREADS