Ortofon 2M Red or Rega Elys 2 for Rega Planar 3

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have acquired a Planar 3 fitted with the RB300 arm and want to improve on the AT95e cart thats fitted on it - logical assumption says I should fit the Elys 2 but its difficult to find any decent reviews of the cartridge with a lot of positives going for the 2M Red; However am I correct in thinking that to fit the 2M Red I will need to fit spacers to the rega arm in order to get the VTA spot on and if so how difficult are the spacers to fit?

A

Anonymous

WHF certainly seem to like it with the P3-24.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Rega-P3-24Elys-2/

I don't know about the spacers. On the RB301 which is, I believe, the replacement for the 300, I've got an Ortofon 2M Bronze, which is a perfect fit without any spacers. I imagine there will be others along soon that will know for sure.

If you can stretch, then the 2M Blue is also well spoken of.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
You shouldn't need spacers with that arm from experience - its worth checking before buying a cartridge as a general rule of thumb - either using an alignment tool or simply checking unscientifically if the tonearm tube is almost parallel to the record but sloping back slightly toward the tonearm pivot. It should be ok with an RB301 though. The 2M Blue does sound better to the 2M Red, specifically sounding slightly more detailed and musical - worth a step up as suggested if you can stretch to it.

I would have thought that if it has been set up correctly for the AT95e then you would not need to make big adjustments to the VTA if you replaced it with the Ortofon.

Unless there is a significant difference in the height of the cartridge body, if there is then spacers may be required.

When getting a replacement take along the AT95e and do a quick eyeball of the body height against the cartridge you intend to purchase. Might I suggest you go for the 2M Blue if you can afford to or even look at the Grado Prestige Gold which will go very well with the RB300 arm.

Adding spacers, if necessary, is easier with the old RB300 arm as compared to the new version. It is simply a matter of disconnecting phon cables from your amp and unscrewing the large octagonal nut from the underside of your arm then lifting arm straight out. Put on your spacer and place arm back in the hole. Re-tighten the nut slightly and check your VTA - you may have to do this several times to ensure correct thicknesss of spacer has been chosen,. When you are satisfied fully retighten the nut.

You can, if you so wish do away with the hassle of washers by getting a Michell VTA Adaptor for about £18 (do a quick Google search). This is a threaded adaptor that you fit in place of the washers and which can be adjusted by very small amounts as required. It's a lot simpler and certainly worthwhile if you see yourself changing / upgrading cartridges in the future. Having said that, if you are, then I would also go for a Michell Fingernut which replaces the awkward sized octagonal locking nut and is much easiler to tighten up using fingers alone. Happy upgrading!

audioaffair:

You shouldn't need spacers with that arm from experience - its worth checking before buying a cartridge as a general rule of thumb - either using an alignment tool or simply checking unscientifically if the tonearm tube is almost parallel to the record but sloping back slightly toward the tonearm pivot. It should be ok with an RB301 though. The 2M Blue does sound better to the 2M Red, specifically sounding slightly more detailed and musical - worth a step up as suggested if you can stretch to it.

I am pretty sure he would have difficulty checking the VTA without the new cartridge in place.

He's got a RB300 by the way.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys...

I might see if the budget will stretch to the 2M Blue, consensus on other forums seems to see some people adding a 2mm spacer and some saying the cart is ok without the need to fit a spacer; Still it does not seem as difficult as I maybe thought initially.

I do find that AT95e to be a decent cartridge and has a wonderful musical sound to it but just lacks detail I know is there in the recording.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I would check to see if alignment of the AT95E is as spot on as you can get and if it needs a new stylus, the above cartridges mentioned are all good but a Grado may well hum on a Rega deck but the AT95E is a very good cartridge and does not lose out in any way to the above mentioned makes but if you must then the Elys 2 would be the way to go, 3 point fixing so is easy to align and much cheaper than the 2M blue plus you have the synergy with the arm. There are a few reviews online for the Elys, some good some not so good but the cartridge does work very well on a Rega but not so on other arms.

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above.

If you like the sound of the AT95E, why not try an upgraded stylus- LP Gear do them in the US but I'm sure you could find them in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Alternatively, if you like the AT sound, why not try the AT120E? It retains much of the sound of the AT95E but is more detailed, and a touch more forward. It's available from william thakker at a pretty decent price.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:
I agree with the above.

If you like the sound of the AT95E, why not try an upgraded stylus- LP Gear do them in the US but I'm sure you could find them in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Alternatively, if you like the AT sound, why not try the AT120E? It retains much of the sound of the AT95E but is more detailed, and a touch more forward. It's available from william thakker at a pretty decent price.

Thanks for advice, I think I am going to go for the Elys 2 and give that a try.

One thing I have noticed with the deck is that it takes around 15 seconds to get upto speed, is this something I should be worried about or just an indication of needing a new belt?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Rega state you need to spin the platter as you switch on.

Edit. I should have also said this removes the strain off the motor and belt when you start up.
If the TT has not had a new belt for a few years it would not heard to replace it.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I ended up going for the Elys 2 and it's been running in for around 5 hours now and sounds very dull and recessed but I have read on other forums that the optimal run in time is 20 hours so heres hoping it improves over the coming days.

I got the cartridge and a pair of Quad 11l2's from Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield and I have to say the service was first class!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I should have also said on my previous post do not switch the Rega off when you come to turn the album over. Switch on at the start of a record playing session and switch off at the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts