Orbe Clamp upgrade for Gyrodec.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Have any Gyrodec owners upgraded to the Orbe Clamp?

If so can you tell me whether the knurled nut is supposed to sit proud of the platter by approx 4-5mm?

If I can explain that it seems the recess in the centre of my platter is not deep enough.

Hope somebody can help?

Thanks.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The Orbe clamp is threaded , the Gyro spindle isnt. You have me really confused here buddy. Could you explain a little better what you have codged together here ?.

floyd droid is correct the Orbe Clamp is threaded and needs to be used with the upgrade spindle to work (they normally come as a pair)

Are you trying to use the Orbe screw-down clamp on a slick Gyrodec spindle? This isn't going to work. You would need to get the standard Michel record clamp which does clamp to a smooth spindle.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
OK so I missed out 'kit' at the end of Orbe Clamp!

So yes I have the 'kit' so no I haven't 'codged' anything together!

So once the threaded spindle is screwed into the main bearing and the knurled nut is screwed onto the spindle after platter fitment, the knurled nut sits higher than the highest part of the platter. 4-5mm higher.

Not the recess in the platter but the highest part of the platter.

Surely that's not right? Or is it meant to really press the album down by deforming the centre of the album?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
h4rdy said:
Or is it meant to really press the album down by deforming the centre of the album?

Correctamundo. You should also have a tapered washer that fits over the lock nut , use it. Havnt taken much notice how high the record sits above the platter before clamping tbh.

Note ! , proof read your posts first then you wont have to get narky later ;)

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Note ! , proof read your posts first then you wont have to get narky later ;)

Maybe you should have read my post correctly, I merely asked a question about the height of the nut in relation to the platter and you decided to try to deride me by writing about incompatible parts. I think it was obvious I would have purchased a Clamp Kit and not just bought an Orbe Clamp and tried to codge it together. :O

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
You'd be surprised. Nothing is obvious on this forum. I tend to assume nothing. :)

Indeed Al , assumption is the mother of all eff ups.

Anyhoo for Mr Hardy....

I've measured what gap you should have from the top of the tapered washer to the the platter , 2mm.

So if you have a 4-5 mm gap then I'm stumped unless the record that you put on is severely warped.

Edit. I take it that you have ditched the felt washer from the Gyro ?.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Al ears said:
You'd be surprised. Nothing is obvious on this forum. I tend to assume nothing. :)

Indeed Al , assumption is the mother of all eff ups.

Anyhoo for Mr Hardy....

I've measured what gap you should have from the top of the tapered washer to the the platter , 2mm.

So if you have a 4-5 mm gap then I'm stumped unless the record that you put on is severely warped.

Edit. I take it that you have ditched the felt washer from the Gyro ?.

Great stuff many thanks.

I have a feeling my platter is older, I know it is, so maybe the kit is for newer versions?

I watched a video on YouTube of an Orbe assembly and I know it was an orbe platter but the recess is deeper and the nut, like you say, is 2mm approx higher.

So for now I've fitted the old nut which fits perfectly but is the correct height.

I have a feeling they will say mine is old you will need an Orbe platter or maybe they will sell me a new gyro platter as I read there is barely a difference between the two.

I'll see what they say but thanks again.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
h4rdy said:
I have a feeling my platter is older, I know it is,

As in Mk 1 made from ally old ?.

While I'm on the Orbe clamp kit will only fit your Gyro if it has an inverted bearing. Be nice to read that you have got this sorted and what you actually had to begin with , purely out of interest :)

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Well its funny you ask about it being ally, I don't think it is unless its then covered in acrylic, because when I bought it the guy said it was, I don't think it is.

Yes I have the inverted bearing.

I am having loads of problems if I am honest and am having a little mini breakdown over it :cry:

When I first got my Gyrodec, last year begged the wife for my 40th, I had it connected to a Furutech GT40 then into a Pioneer VSX921 AV Amp. So far that was better then my setup now. I decided to get a dedicated setup for HIFI and a Soundbar for the TV. I bought a Roksan Kandy K2 Integrated and Power hoping to use the internal Phono Stage. It has been a complete disaster since then. The internal 'audiophile' phono stage is quite frankly rubbish. So I bought a Musical Fidelity V90 LPS after a favourable review in HIFI Choice with no demo because it was literally a 'test' to see if it was the internal phono stage. It was, the MF blew the Roksan away, but......................now I am getting loads of interference from my Router, Phone, just about anything that has a power supply or may emit a RF! To top it all off, my Papst AC motor may be coming to an end. £208 for a new DC motor.

Ive just rebuilt it to 'SE' spec. Not cheap with the Motor Housing and new style springs, so another £200 odd is really going to tip my sadness over the edge!

I was happier with my Furutech and AV Amp, which, is not how it should be is it?

The plus side to all my woes is my newish Arcam irDAC is very nice, so have been using that a fair bit.

I am not sure what my next step is but have contacted Michell so will see what they say about my platter.

I'll update in due course, sorry for the sob story :wall:

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
h4rdy said:
now I am getting loads of interference from my Router, Phone, just about anything that has a power supply or may emit a RF!

This is easily fixed, buy a load of ferrite cores/clamps from somewhere like RS or Farnell and fit them to the cables in your system (at least 2 per cable, one at each end).

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I had read about the ferrite cores so I may try it.

No I never tried the Furutech as I sold it as believed I wouldn't need it with the 'audiophile' phono stage in the Kandy!

Maybe a mistake that one!

I am going to have a rethink in the new year, maybe change a few things.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ok so Steve at Michell is very helpful.

A lot more helpful than Analogue Seduction who sold it to me along with the 8 week wait for all of it to turn up.

My platter is not right, the recess in the centre should be 5.5mm deep and it is 3.5mm.

He has offered to make me a new nut but the thread on the spindle for the nut is too long so thats another thing that he will need to look at.

Bloody nightmare.

I'll have more news on Monday as the Machinist was on his/her holibobs.

I'm suspecting my old platter to be the issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts