Options: Sonos or Vortex rip thingy... HELP

Saunders

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
At the moment I am torn between 2 options (there are more I'm sure but this a narrowed down options).

1) sonos zp90 played off a ipad2, iPhone 5 or the old iPhone 3GS through listed below.

2) a vortex ripnas (Liv concepts) Box connected with a HRT II+

I'm in 2 minds and a bit of guidance would be helpful. I'm thinking the sonos is a good idea for cost and my cd collection is expanding but not large, the iPhone's/ipad are only 16gb so can easily run out of space, plus the remainder can be spent on building said collection. The idea of NAS that rips directly to high res is appealing, yes I have iTunes but to get her off of the farmthingy game is damn near impossible. Cost ripnas and HRT not a big concern but this is a first step and the NAS will be added at some point if not now.

Room size 3.5m X 5m, speakers are old (next yrs upgrade) but still worth a listen, music ranges from Lang Lang to radio 1 live lounge to Leftfield, oh and the cables everyone always talks about, chord optical, chord power cable into amp, chord hdmi for the Xbox/ps3, chord interconnects, blah blah, chord.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
You missed the obvious solution IMHO, Vortexbox as your NAS/CD ripper and Sonos CONNECT as music streamer, with the Sonos control app on the iPad. That's the config that loads of peeps run very successfully. The options you mention, well not so much...

Saunders

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I went with the Sonos in the end by itself and as the collection grows a NAS will be added at a later date.

It's a great bit of kit IMO, run through the rlink it is opening up new avenues for my listening. The misses got a bit of a shock when she walked in the flat and was in another room and turned on the stereo by iPad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts