Optical or USB

SteveR750

Eek, a truth dilemma. I swttched the Hegel to optical from my PC, so switched J River to Realtek s/pdif WASAPI, as that was the only option. Hmm. More open? Bit more ragged at the top end? Better bass? faster?

Switched back to USB and it's definitley smoother up top, and more detailed, I think.

Which is right, cos ears cannot be trusted. Other DACs are best using USB, some toslink (Chord Qute).

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a NAD 390 DD which has the same array of inputs as your hegel I think .

stream from a macbook to airport x optical out / digital coax from sony bdp to amp / usb from mac to amp.

I truely belive the second two options are "better" but I also know they are "louder" , for myself everyday I stream to airport x , on saturday nights is the bluray for albums and then plugging in the laptop usb , I guess the USB is better , I dont get up and get my laptop cos I want it to sound worse.

James

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you hear a consistant difference, go with what you prefer....that is after all, what selected your system and your taste in music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
If you hear a consistant difference, go with what you prefer....that is after all, what selected your system and your taste in music.

The word is consistent!

Let me put it another way...don't talk yourself out of what you are hearing.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

The word is consistent!

They're ever so slightly different, I know which sounds nicest but I don't know which is more *correct*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

The word is consistent!

They're ever so slightly different, I know which sounds nicest but I don't know which is more *correct*

In this instance, go with your heart, not your head.....ie. listen to your musician side rather than your scientific one.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
All other things being equal (and they rarely are), then async USB will outperform a standard optical S/PDIF link. I could explain, but it gets technical.

Your specific installation of course could be different.

SteveR750

andyjm said:
All other things being equal (and they rarely are), then async USB will outperform a standard optical S/PDIF link. I could explain, but it gets technical.

Your specific installation of course could be different.

Andy, please do. We're here to learn!

Plus, what about non async? Hegel uses adaptive as they think they can get it to work better, though many of the reviews state it's an async USB connection. I underdstand the basic principle of asynchronous clocking, but I thought that WASAPI (optical) also allowed the DAC to control the timing of the data?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts