OPPO BLU RAY PLAYER VS. SONY 5000 BLU RAY PLAYER

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:
In my opinion, the Oppo would be the best blu-ray machine up to £500.00, while the Sony would be the best blu-ray machine up to £1000.00.

The Sony, being double the price, certainly doesn't equate to double the performance. It is not significantly better, but only marginally better.

I had an opportunity to test both before I settled for the Pioneer BDP-LX91 - for performance and aesthetic reasons.

So does that mean you tested the Sony and the Pioneer when you say you tested both, or the Sony and the Oppo and bought the Pioneer?

There's aren't many Oppo's in shops so I'm guessing you did the Pioneer vs Sony, which wouldn't surprise me. Though I may have misunderstood your post above.

The statement about which is best in which price band has to be backed up by experience, not supposition. The best way to practically compare them is by blind testing. I take it you've done this? If you have, then please let me know what you tested and what you found. Be interested in another set of results.

When I tested them, the results I collated were actually quite strange. For BluRay playback over HDMI, almost identical performance from the Sony S350 all the way up to the Denon DVD A1UD. We just couldn't see or hear a marked difference and the conclusion was that the format is the winner. It's clearly engineered to pass the disc data unfettered to the receiver and in the case of the test I took part in, that appears to be the case for BluRay discs. In a week's time we'll be re-running the test and moving onto DVD upscaling. Now here is where I think the differences will start to show, when the players have to do some actual work! Will let you know, but please, you do the same. Cheers.

The Oppo at £450 vs. the Sony at £800. Hmmmmm, which would I choose. Yes, I know, I've already got one, but seriously........

A

Anonymous

Im in the position of looking for a new blu ray player, and have read somewhere that the sny 5000 has some problem playing 1080i properly...is that true? It also said that it doesnt include high end HD video processing or any wireless connectivity...

A

Anonymous

BJB ... I used to live in south africa .... recently shipped an apple i-phone from the UK to my son in JHB ... sent it recorded mail and insured and was stolen by someone working in the south african postal service .... (still waiting for compensation)

My wife sells antiques/collectables on ebay and refuses to ship to south africa and italy (italy is also bad) .... so hope you purchased directly through sony and will collect from them

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:

BJB ... I used to live in south africa .... recently shipped an apple i-phone from the UK to my son in JHB ... sent it recorded mail and insured and was stolen by someone working in the south african postal service .... (still waiting for compensation)

My wife sells antiques/collectables on ebay and refuses to ship to south africa and italy (italy is also bad) .... so hope you purchased directly through sony and will collect from them
Thanks for the advice. I am dealing with a reputable retailer and I have even contacted Sony SA to follow up on delivery.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:you can pick the sony up for £799 now

That's a great price for the Sony - at this price, its a no-brainer.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:EvilWolf:
In my opinion, the Oppo would be the best blu-ray machine up to £500.00, while the Sony would be the best blu-ray machine up to £1000.00.

The Sony, being double the price, certainly doesn't equate to double the performance. It is not significantly better, but only marginally better.

I had an opportunity to test both before I settled for the Pioneer BDP-LX91 - for performance and aesthetic reasons.

So does that mean you tested the Sony and the Pioneer when you say you tested both, or the Sony and the Oppo and bought the Pioneer?

There's aren't many Oppo's in shops so I'm guessing you did the Pioneer vs Sony, which wouldn't surprise me. Though I may have misunderstood your post above.

The statement about which is best in which price band has to be backed up by experience, not supposition. The best way to practically compare them is by blind testing. I take it you've done this? If you have, then please let me know what you tested and what you found. Be interested in another set of results.

When I tested them, the results I collated were actually quite strange. For BluRay playback over HDMI, almost identical performance from the Sony S350 all the way up to the Denon DVD A1UD. We just couldn't see or hear a marked difference and the conclusion was that the format is the winner. It's clearly engineered to pass the disc data unfettered to the receiver and in the case of the test I took part in, that appears to be the case for BluRay discs. In a week's time we'll be re-running the test and moving onto DVD upscaling. Now here is where I think the differences will start to show, when the players have to do some actual work! Will let you know, but please, you do the same. Cheers.

The Oppo at £450 vs. the Sony at £800. Hmmmmm, which would I choose. Yes, I know, I've already got one, but seriously........

1. I tested all three - the Oppo was the US version, so you can stop guessing.

2. My opinion is backed up my own eyes and ears (I qualified it with 'In my opinion').

3. The whole world knows you have an Oppo blu-ray player

4. I don't need to justify anything to you, and neither do I want this topic to extend for months debating the 'virtues of Oppo's greatness' with you - I have better things to do with my time.

Cheers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:That's a great price for the Sony - at this price, its a no-brainer.

Mr Harris? Mr Harris? That's your cue - Mr Harris?

OK everyone, take five - someone go to Mr Harris's trailer, drag him away from doing the dirty with his Oppo and tell him he should be here...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
EvilWolf:That's a great price for the Sony - at this price, its a no-brainer.

Mr Harris? Mr Harris? That's your cue - Mr Harris?

OK everyone, take five - someone go to Mr Harris's trailer, drag him away from doing the dirty with his Oppo and tell him he should be here...

I heard the Oppo wasn't all that...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Ah yes, that's the one...

Do we need to now go on a 'suicide watch'?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:Do we need to now go on a 'suicide watch'?

Nah - he'll either a) start hatching up a conspiracy theory on a scale that makes denying that JFK and Marilyn actually walked on the moon look like amateur hour

or b) seal all the doors and windows and sit there with a USB cable from the Oppo running into his mouth.

He'll not come to any harm...

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
EDITED BY MODS - please don't post copyright material from other sources

Conclusion

My conclusion is that both are great players, the Sony is probably marginally better. Everybody agrees that the oppo loads quicker. I would be happy with either, but unfortunately neither are immediately available in SA. By the way, I rechecked my sums. The SONY will cost me the equivalent of 1050 pounds and the Oppo 833 pounds. I'll probably just go for the one that becomes available soonest.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:

Actually I should apologise to Evilwolf I sounded quite rude in my response earlier. Should grow up a bit. You're entitled to any opinion you hold, of course. Hope you're all having a great Saturday night. I'm filming a wedding
emotion-1.gif
Great fun. Enjoy the weekend.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:I'm filming a wedding
emotion-1.gif

Do you, Oppo BDP-83, take Wilberforce Henry CRT Harris as your lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold, in fast loading and in slow, in the sure and certain knowledge of the one true way, till AVR600 firmware glitches you do part?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Nah - he'll either a) start hatching up a conspiracy theory on a scale that makes denying that JFK and Marilyn actually walked on the moon look like amateur hour

or b) seal all the doors and windows and sit there with a USB cable from the Oppo running into his mouth.

haha quality.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Will Harris:I'm filming a wedding
emotion-1.gif

Do you, Oppo BDP-83, take Wilberforce Henry CRT Harris as your lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold, in fast loading and in slow, in the sure and certain knowledge of the one true way, till AVR600 firmware glitches you do part?

Andrew - you really are very, very funny!
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:EvilWolf:

Actually I should apologise to Evilwolf I sounded quite rude in my response earlier. Should grow up a bit. You're entitled to any opinion you hold, of course. Hope you're all having a great Saturday night. I'm filming a wedding
emotion-1.gif
Great fun. Enjoy the weekend.

No problem, Will. let's just forget it and move on. Enjoy your weekend too.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Andrew - if you ever did stand up comedy at the What Hi-Fi shows, you sure would get an enthusiastic audience and a grand applause!!!
emotion-21.gif

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BJB:

EDITED BY MODS - please don't post copyright material from other sources

Conclusion

My conclusion is that both are great players, the Sony is probably marginally better. Everybody agrees that the oppo loads quicker. I would be happy with either, but unfortunately neither are immediately available in SA. By the way, I rechecked my sums. The SONY will cost me the equivalent of 1050 pounds and the Oppo 833 pounds. I'll probably just go for the one that becomes available soonest.

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

A

Anonymous

Almost everything i have ever owned made by Sony has been over priced and poorly made.

plusONE:Almost everything i have ever owned made by Sony has been over priced and poorly made.

When it comes to blu-ray layers, it's contrary to what you say. The Sony S360 is cheaper than its competitor, the Panasonic BD60, & likewise for higher up models. I think the new Sony players offer the best value for money & superb quality all through the range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts