Oppo BDP-105 USB Asynchronous DAC

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Received my Oppo 105 yesterday which I want to not only use as a disc spinner, but make use of it's Sabre 9018 stereo DAC via the USB input. I sold my Rega DAC + V-Link 192 as I wanted a native DSD decoding ability, the Oppo doesn't have it, but Oppo USA say it'll be covered by a firmware update.
When I connected it to my PC using a Supra USB lead, the DAC immediately sounded more open and detailed, but not as natural sounding as the Rega, and certainly not as much bass. I left my Monitor Audio Detox (white noise) CD playing through it overnight and a big difference this morning. The bass has arrived and treble is sweeter.
I've got great hopes for the 105 as a USB DAC and multi-format disc spinner. Hope the DSD update comes soon!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I am playing with the 105 at the moment and the headphone playback is pretty superb! Amazing machine in general and I love the SACD / DVD-A playback too :)

I have the M-DAC right next to it at the moment and they are remarkably similar!

My only drawback as a USB DAC is that switching to it requires the TV on as you can't do it from the feedback of the LCD screen and it never remembers your last input selection. It seems like this could be fixed so easily with some software updates but i wish it had a dedicated button on the remote to switch to the USB.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Inter_Voice said:
OPPO will not disappoint you :)

You are right there. My Stello transport / DAC have not been powered up since the recent arrival of my Oppo 105.... and I do believe it is still improving....... must play more through it. :)

The Oppo is replacing my Rega DAC/V-Link 192 combo, so far it's not the all rounder that the Rega was, i.e. high resolution and well recorded tracks sound better, but some recordings aren't as listenable to as they were with the Rega. Having said that, it's still got a lot more burning in to do yet.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:
My only drawback as a USB DAC is that switching to it requires the TV on as you can't do it from the feedback of the LCD screen and it never remembers your last input selection. It seems like this could be fixed so easily with some software updates but i wish it had a dedicated button on the remote to switch to the USB.

This is a bit annoying, but I've solved it by setting a series of commands using my Harmony remote when I switch on. It'd be nice to have some feedback on the display as to the frequency that's being decoded, you have to turn the telly on and press info.

There's also an issue with SACD being converted to PCM before palyback. I play the stereo layer only through my Naim amp, but because the HDMI output is connected directly to my Pioneer plasma, the hanshake tells the Oppo to convert SACD to PCM regardless of the fact that the sound is going through the analogue outs. The only way round this is to turn the TV on, go into settings and turn off the audio output for HDMI! When this is done, I get DSD playback.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
SACD seems to be a real pain of a format. If they wanted it to survive they should have made it a lot more friendly. I wonder if there is anything that oppo could have done about this at all.

Good idea about the display info, I will mention that to them as well. The screen seems plenty big enough to accommodate that info, rather than continuously saying 'screen saver' all the time.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have been using my oppo 105 blueray player for close to 3 weeks now & it just keeps getting better.. I connected one of my solid state drives to one of the usb inputs... it just sounds so good..... I wuold recommend this machine to anyone. I have been listening to the oppo without my M-dac connected it sounds more detail yet let in your face.. Very close call. I think the oppo is just a tad more musical. Yet the M-dac more warm. For those who say digital stage does not matter are argueing blindly.

Brillant Machine..

RichSB

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
pete321 said:
Received my Oppo 105 yesterday which I want to not only use as a disc spinner, but make use of it's Sabre 9018 stereo DAC via the USB input. I sold my Rega DAC + V-Link 192 as I wanted a native DSD decoding ability, the Oppo doesn't have it, but Oppo USA say it'll be covered by a firmware update. When I connected it to my PC using a Supra USB lead, the DAC immediately sounded more open and detailed, but not as natural sounding as the Rega, and certainly not as much bass. I left my Monitor Audio Detox (white noise) CD playing through it overnight and a big difference this morning. The bass has arrived and treble is sweeter. I've got great hopes for the 105 as a USB DAC and multi-format disc spinner. Hope the DSD update comes soon!

I noticed that you have J River.

The Audio Output: Output mode makes a big difference to the sound.

I find the most detail is provided using Kernel Streaming.

WAPAPI is a bit bright on my system. Brighter than just playing the original CD.

ASIO provides a bit more bass.

I turn everything else off, but what this tells you is that it can be difficult getting music out of a PC unscathed.

I recommend trying these settings to discover your preference.

- Rich

tinman

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there

Interested to see that you've compared the Oppo 105 with the Audiolab M-DAC. I currently have a Mac Mini running into an MDAC which then connects to a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A Active speakers. Very please with the sound, but I can't play my growing collection of SACDs with this setup.

So, I was thinking that an Oppo 105 would seriously tick all my required boxes. i.e let me play SACDs, has a pre-amp to connect with my active speakers and let me use the DAC within the 105. But (and this is a big but) I'd only be happy if I can get the same sort of quality DAC as the M-DAC.

So, I was very interested to hear that you thought the Oppo was "a tad more musical". Warnth in a system is very important to me, so I think a comparison is needed to make sure I don't lose any of the analogue-type sound i seem to currently enjoy.

But really pleased to hear that you're impressed with the 105, while knowing what a MDAC is capable of. :)

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
RichSB said:
pete321 said:
Received my Oppo 105 yesterday which I want to not only use as a disc spinner, but make use of it's Sabre 9018 stereo DAC via the USB input. I sold my Rega DAC + V-Link 192 as I wanted a native DSD decoding ability, the Oppo doesn't have it, but Oppo USA say it'll be covered by a firmware update. When I connected it to my PC using a Supra USB lead, the DAC immediately sounded more open and detailed, but not as natural sounding as the Rega, and certainly not as much bass. I left my Monitor Audio Detox (white noise) CD playing through it overnight and a big difference this morning. The bass has arrived and treble is sweeter. I've got great hopes for the 105 as a USB DAC and multi-format disc spinner. Hope the DSD update comes soon!

I noticed that you have J River.

The Audio Output: Output mode makes a big difference to the sound.

I find the most detail is provided using Kernel Streaming.

WAPAPI is a bit bright on my system. Brighter than just playing the original CD.

ASIO provides a bit more bass.

I turn everything else off, but what this tells you is that it can be difficult getting music out of a PC unscathed.

I recommend trying these settings to discover your preference.

- Rich

I'll try a bit of experimenting.

Is kernel streaming bit perfect? Can't get asio to work.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Just got clarification from Oppo USA that the 105 will support DSD file playback from an external storage device in a future firmware upgrade. Unfortunately this will not include DSD file playback from a PC using J. River over the DoP or ASIO methods, so no good for me.

George55

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi – would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts on the following. I’m looking to upgrade my blu-ray player AND finally enter the era of digital music and am therefore looking for both a DAC and a new blu-ray player.

I will play the blu-ray through my cyrus stereo amp. So here’s my dilemma. I had originally thought the OPPO 105 would be the perfect solution as in addition to the blu-ray it also has the DAC. However, the more I look into this and read about it, the more I’m pulled towards the need for a separate DAC and have heard that the DAC in the OPPO 105 can’t compete with the stand-alone DACs of equal cost. The final issue is that I’m under a bit of pressure from my darling wife to keep my system as tidy as possible, and try to avoid any more “big boxes”.

So I guess my questions are:

1)

How does the DAC in the OPPO 105 stack up against the £300 - £800 separate DACs? Specifically for sound quality from a macbook with pure music, and also from a blu-ray player?

2)

If I would be best off getting a separate DAC, and since I need to at least try and keep it semi-compact (i.e. arcam rdac etc), any recommendations that would partner well with the cyrus?

Would really appreciate any suggestions / comments / guidance.

Thanks

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The 105 represents great value IMO given the qulaity of it's Sabre ESS 9018 DAC. It certainly needs some time to sound it's best, I'm on my second week with it and it's still improving. The sound was very thin at first, but is maturing nicely now, with great bass and a sweet treble. It uses the same DAC chip as the Audiolab M-DAC, so it's unsurprising that you can find quotes saying that it compares favourably to that well thought of DAC.

Having said all that, it you're using a Cyrus amp, I'd be inclined to partner it with a Rega DAC. The Rega has a more analogue sound which would complement the sometimes analytical nature of the Cyrus well IMO. Just bear in mind that the Rega is limited to 48khz via USB, so if you've got a lot of hires music files as I do, you'd need to use it with something like a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192. The Oppo on the other hand will take up to 192khz via USB.

Now that Oppo USA have changed their mind on what they originally told me about the 105 being able to decode DSD files from a PC using J. River, this is the DAC that's back on my wish list.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
pete321 said:
This is a bit annoying, but I've solved it by setting a series of commands using my Harmony remote when I switch on. It'd be nice to have some feedback on the display as to the frequency that's being decoded, you have to turn the telly on and press info.

There's also an issue with SACD being converted to PCM before palyback. I play the stereo layer only through my Naim amp, but because the HDMI output is connected directly to my Pioneer plasma, the hanshake tells the Oppo to convert SACD to PCM regardless of the fact that the sound is going through the analogue outs. The only way round this is to turn the TV on, go into settings and turn off the audio output for HDMI! When this is done, I get DSD playback.
Hi Pete, I was just looking through the Oppo manual and noticed something about SACD playback being reduced to PCM so I thought that I would report back. It seems like this is a hardware limitation of the HDMI 1 port, if you use HDMI 2 it will allow DSD output through digital (p64 in the manual).

I hope that helps :)

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:
pete321 said:
Hi Pete, I was just looking through the Oppo manual and noticed something about SACD playback being reduced to PCM so I thought that I would report back. It seems like this is a hardware limitation of the HDMI 1 port, if you use HDMI 2 it will allow DSD output through digital (p64 in the manual).

I hope that helps :)

Thanks for looking, but unfortunatley it doesn't solve the problem as I only play SACD in stereo to my Naim amp. I use both HDMI 1 & 2 outputs, HDMI 1 to the TV and HDMI 2 to my Yamaha soundbar. Because neither of these support DSD (regardless of the fact that I don't want to use them for that purpose), the Oppo automatically converts DSD to PCM, even though I'm playing it back through the analogue outputs of the Oppo.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
pete321 said:
Thanks for looking, but unfortunatley it doesn't solve the problem as I only play SACD in stereo to my Naim amp. I use both HDMI 1 & 2 outputs, HDMI 1 to the TV and HDMI 2 to my Yamaha soundbar. Because neither of these support DSD (regardless of the fact that I don't want to use them for that purpose), the Oppo automatically converts DSD to PCM, even though I'm playing it back through the analogue outputs of the Oppo.
Are you sure the HDMI 2 port doesn't support DSD? It clearly says in the manual that it does. Perhaps it's the fact that the HDMI 1 is plugged in and detected that it goes to PCM. I am going to ask about this, it seems like there should be a way to fix it given the circumstances.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Are you sure the HDMI 2 port doesn't support DSD? It clearly says in the manual that it does. Perhaps it's the fact that the HDMI 1 is plugged in and detected that it goes to PCM. I am going to ask about this, it seems like there should be a way to fix it given the circumstances.

Neither of my devices which are connected to the 105's HDMI outputs can decode DSD, so it would matter which one I used, the HDMI handshke let's the Oppo no that they don't support DSD decoding and the Oppo converts to PCM.

As you say, you would think it would be fairly easy to fix. I don't see why whether the HDMI devices connected to the 105 are able to decode DSD should affect the output from the RCA outputs of the 105. If you select DSD bitstreaming, it shouldn't convert it to PCM, otherwise there's no point in giving you the choice if the machine is going to make it's own mind up anyway.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
CustomCable said:
Hi Pete321 the UD501 has finally come in and its a pretty well priced DSD dac at just £700.

TEAC UD-501 DAC

Thanks Phil, it'll be interesting to hear in my system and compare against the Oppo DAC.

The Oppo 105 now has DSD file playback with the latest beta firmware, but it's only via a USB stick or hard drive, not via the asynchrous DAC using PC playback software like J. River.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
quadpatch said:

I've realised that if you press the input button on the Oppo remote then follwed by 3 for example, you'll get the asynchronous DAC input (this appears 3rd on the input list).

TRENDING THREADS