Oppo BDP-105 Darbee vs?

jabol

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently connected Oppo BDP-105 (not Darbee) to Creek Evo 50a and Tannoy Signature DC6T speakers. I really liked the quality of sound (I only tested a few CDs). My plan was to get Creek Evo 50CD when available as I primarily care about stereo and CD. However, I am thinking about getting Oppo BDP-105 Darbee instead. It looks like the Oppo is a bit cheaper. What is your opinion?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
There are two differences between the D and the original version. One is ofcourse the Darbee edition and the second, not widely discussed change is, the updated USB DAC which supports DSD

"The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. "

If this is relevant or not, it depends on your usage of Oppo. If it is only for spinning discs, then the original 105 serves the purpose.

Not totally relevent as the old one, with latest software update, will accept DSD audio, if you must have this feature. (Although only on a memory stick via front USB port).

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Not totally relevent as the old one, with latest software update, will accept DSD audio, if you must have this feature. (Although only on a memory stick via front USB port).

Actually, I am also not completely sure as I have not used this. But what I understand is that if some one wants to play DSD files while using a computer as source, then they have to transfer the files to a USB stick for the original Oppo 105 and with 105D the computer can direclty stream to the USB port on the rear with out any switcing.

Again, how much this is relevant is upto the user. Also, it seems that the DSD is still stereo even with newer implementation and not multichannel.

I do not have much / any DSD content. Oppo site has some content for download which is a nice touch!

BTW, I ordered the Oppo 105D in Silver which should be coming by Monday. For existing Oppo 105 owners, it is not worth changing to 105D as the changes are minor but for a new purchaser, the option could be enticing!

Enjoy your new Oppo they are wonderful pieces of kit.

Might be interesting to find out if the D version will stream DSD over ethernet rather than USB as that's the way I've got mine networked.

Only have a few bits recorded as DSD though so for me it's not a deal-breaker.

PS: Wish they had brought out the old one in silver before I made my purchase. :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:

PS: Wish they had brought out the old one in silver before I made my purchase. :)

Thank You! I also think that Silver looks nice! I acutally had an Oppo 105 last year. Due to relocation, I sold it off as it seemed too much of a hassle to move things across.

Also, I prefer the EU warranty than (almost) no warranty for US purchase though the price difference between US and EU makes me wonder what goes in for the additional mark up :(

I will keep us posted once the player is with me about DSD on Network. I have Synology DS213+ as my NAS and I almost entirely use Oppo on Network or with HDMI in from Mac Mini.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
Al ears said:

Thank You! I also think that Silver looks nice! I acutally had an Oppo 105 last year. Due to relocation, I sold it off as it seemed too much of a hassle to move things across.

Also, I prefer the EU warranty than (almost) no warranty for US purchase though the price difference between US and EU makes me wonder what goes in for the additional mark up :(

I will keep us posted once the player is with me about DSD on Network. I have Synology DS213+ as my NAS and I almost entirely use Oppo on Network or with HDMI in from Mac Mini.

I'd be very interested in your experience with the 105 as a streamer. Like you I use a Synology NAS and I'm thinking of buying the Oppo as both a disc spinner for films and streaming duties for music.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ngibbs said:
I'd be very interested in your experience with the 105 as a streamer. Like you I use a Synology NAS and I'm thinking of buying the Oppo as both a disc spinner for films and streaming duties for music.

105 is a very good streamer. There are many ways to do this using DLNA server etc. The best I found is that 105 accesses NAS as a storage and plays the files directly. This sounds simple but like many other players, 105 has a limitation with Apple Lossless file playback. So, if you have all your music in FLAC or mp3 then it is fine but otherwise, then you have to have some kind of server running on Synology to make the data read and package into a format understandable by Oppo and this is where there is loss in quality.

The second possibility is to have Mac Mini in picture, where iTunes on Mac Mini in Bit perfect outs via USB to DAC of Oppo which sounds woderful too. The only reason to do is because of the front end software as Oppo interface when accesing the Folders / Files on NAS feels like 90's :(

I have not yet seen how it looks like the Oppo app on iPad and I will update on this once I get the player. Also, I will get back on the playability of DSD from network directly.

CJ1045

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
With the latest firmware update the orginal 105 will now stream DSD files too across a home network so you are not reliant on USB sticks

We tested the Oppo against the Linn Majik DS purely as a stereo music streamer and preferred the Oppo. We bought the Oppo on that basis so all the Bluray, CD, SACD, multi-channel audio stuff was a bonus.

We currently have it playing through Linn Klimax amplification and a pair of Linn Komri speakers - it still sounds stunning

Very highly recommended

CJ

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
ngibbs said:

105 is a very good streamer. There are many ways to do this using DLNA server etc. The best I found is that 105 accesses NAS as a storage and plays the files directly. This sounds simple but like many other players, 105 has a limitation with Apple Lossless file playback. So, if you have all your music in FLAC or mp3 then it is fine but otherwise, then you have to have some kind of server running on Synology to make the data read and package into a format understandable by Oppo and this is where there is loss in quality.

The second possibility is to have Mac Mini in picture, where iTunes on Mac Mini in Bit perfect outs via USB to DAC of Oppo which sounds woderful too. The only reason to do is because of the front end software as Oppo interface when accesing the Folders / Files on NAS feels like 90's :(

I have not yet seen how it looks like the Oppo app on iPad and I will update on this once I get the player. Also, I will get back on the playability of DSD from network directly.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I've heard. The 90's interface wouldn't be a problem - the Synology DS Audio app looks a little old too! Very annoying it can't do ALAC though. You would have thought that would be easy to add in a firmware update (they did with AIFF). Or maybe not.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CJ1045 said:
With the latest firmware update the orginal 105 will now stream DSD files too across a home network so you are not reliant on USB sticks

We tested the Oppo against the Linn Majik DS purely as a stereo music streamer and preferred the Oppo. We bought the Oppo on that basis so all the Bluray, CD, SACD, multi-channel audio stuff was a bonus.

We currently have it playing through Linn Klimax amplification and a pair of Linn Komri speakers - it still sounds stunning

Very highly recommended

CJ

That is nice to know! I do not want to bother with USB sticks or hard disks. DSD streming over network is great!

Also, nice to know that in your tests Oppo sounds better than Linn Majik DS which I believe is not an easy feat.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ngibbs said:
Thanks. That's pretty much what I've heard. The 90's interface wouldn't be a problem - the Synology DS Audio app looks a little old too! Very annoying it can't do ALAC though. You would have thought that would be easy to add in a firmware update (they did with AIFF). Or maybe not.

I have the unit up and running. DSD plays from network. Apple lossless is supported now. (Last time I checked was some time middle of 2013 on my then 105). AND, the iPad APP is a big help! It lets you play video / Audio with out having to select the file type before going into individual folders. Over all very happy with the updates that happened through the past year. And Silver looks really nice!

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
ngibbs said:

I have the unit up and running. DSD plays from network. Apple lossless is supported now. (Last time I checked was some time middle of 2013 on my then 105). AND, the iPad APP is a big help! It lets you play video / Audio with out having to select the file type before going into individual folders. Over all very happy with the updates that happened through the past year. And Silver looks really nice!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new piece of kit.

TRENDING THREADS