Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
gel said:
hammill said:
gel said:
But if it is bad through analogue then I presume it is safe to presume it is going to be bad through HDMI? And vice versa. So surely talking about the sound in general is enough.
Absolutely not. If the signal is sent via HDMI it is not passing through the DACs. A machine with terrible DACs could still sound fine using HDMI (as virtually all players do of course). I think this explains why you are happy with this remarkably uninformative review.

I guess it does.
smiley-smile.gif
If WHF came out and said Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI I would know this not to be the case, and so would a lot of others. I guess you think they do though?
So you think saying that virtually all players sound fine using HDMI = Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI? Really?

I never said that, I said when I change my Blu-ray player to another one when bit streaming it over HDMI I can hear differences in sound. Can you? I never said they all sound fine, some sound crap! Like this Oppo I guess.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, not sure if this thread is one I should be asking a question in, but I'm going to anyway seeing as there seem to be a few of you who know a bit about bluray players.

Anyway, I bought a panny bt500 to replace my old bd80, and it is a noticable improvement. Which led me to think should I consider spending a bit more (I guess up to £1500) to improve things another notch.

Is this a realistic proposition, or is this a law of diminishing returns thing, where I spend a lot for miniscule imrovements?

Any players you would recommend? I don't have to spend that much, I just have a feeling the picture I am experiencing with the bt500 would take a fair bit of an upgrade to improve upon (I may have also answered my own question)

Many thanks in advance..

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
If WHF came out and said Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI I would know this not to be the case, and so would a lot of others.

You would still trust the WHF review, won't you? ;)

smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
See it's no wonder Oppo fans feel a bit cheated by what they feel is an unjust review. when people like Gel won't even consider the product now, based on just one magazine's subjective opinions (which as it happens appears to be contrary to just about everyone else's). I think there's such a thing as being a little too much of a disciple. You could miss-out on the absolute bargain of the century based on the opinions of people you don't know. By all means use reviews as a guide, but there's no substitute for your own eyes and ears.

That is fair and good points. If it was local I would demo but can't, no one has got it.

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
Indeed, in that respect they don't do themselves any favours.

They do recommend to demo as well, just that this is not always possible. WHF can only review what they see and hear though. They can't go by what people say on here or elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
By 'they' I meant Oppo. If you want to get known, well there's no real substitute for being on dealers' shelves.

Got you.
smiley-smile.gif
They seem to be getting a bit more popular. Frankharvey have just started selling them, don't think Sevenoaks still does, that would be the one to take it to the masses or Richer Sounds.

jj123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
WhatHi-Fi has some good reviews, but they generally favor UK companies first. What-hi-fi's first goal is to increase sales to UK audio companies. Their second goal is to deliver non-biased, dependable tech reviews. Typcially when you find a review that doesn't quite add up, it's from a ompany outside the UK.

In this specific case, WhatHi-Fi is helping out Cambridge Audio. Welcome to reality. Hope this makes sense.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In no shape or form is that even remotely true. If whathifi was operating in that fashion Pioneer would not be voted best AV receiver for 3 years running. Also you do a massive discredit to British companies by suggesting that Monitor Audio, B&W, Denon and Arcam etc need a helping hand. They can hold their own and are have rightfully earned their reputation.

Are you a Bose fan? ;)

Roundhead 5000 said:
Hi, not sure if this thread is one I should be asking a question in, but I'm going to anyway seeing as there seem to be a few of you who know a bit about bluray players.

Anyway, I bought a panny bt500 to replace my old bd80, and it is a noticable improvement. Which led me to think should I consider spending a bit more (I guess up to £1500) to improve things another notch.

Is this a realistic proposition, or is this a law of diminishing returns thing, where I spend a lot for miniscule imrovements?

Any players you would recommend? I don't have to spend that much, I just have a feeling the picture I am experiencing with the bt500 would take a fair bit of an upgrade to improve upon (I may have also answered my own question)

Many thanks in advance..

What's the rest of your system like? What sort of improvement are you looking at: blu ray picture quality or DVD upscaling? What about audio quality? Law of diminishing returns applies to blu ray players as well.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The BDT500 is an outstanding player for bluray and almost on par with the high end players for picture. But as BB asked, please outline your setup :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Roundhead 5000 said:

Many thanks in advance..

What's the rest of your system like? What sort of improvement are you looking at: blu ray picture quality or DVD upscaling? What about audio quality? Law of diminishing returns applies to blu ray players as well.

I'd advise strongly against spending £1,500 on a Blu-ray player, unless you've got money to throw around. On a performance-per-pound basis, £1,500 would be much better spent on any number of other system components, especially on the audio front. It could also buy you an excellent TV for a second room.

In my view, a $1,500 Blu-ray player would be overkill in any system, even if you have a dedicated cinema room.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I'd advise strongly against spending £1,500 on a Blu-ray player, unless you've got money to throw around. On a performance-per-pound basis, £1,500 would be much better spent on any number of other system components, especially on the audio front. It could also buy you an excellent TV for a second room.

In my view, a $1,500 Blu-ray player would be overkill in any system, even if you have a dedicated cinema room.

Why, if it could be proven to sound better than cheaper players?

Most are saying that picture quality of Bluray players are all extremely similar. And that the only differences can be subtle ones. Why then, after adding an Oppo 103 to my own system, does it look like I have a new PJ? The difference I could show you, most people will pay an extra £500 for.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
strapped for cash said:

Why, if it could be proven to sound better than cheaper players?

Most are saying that picture quality of Bluray players are all extremely similar. And that the only differences can be subtle ones. Why then, after adding an Oppo 103 to my own system, does it look like I have a new PJ? The difference I could show you, most people will pay an extra £500 for.

But you're talking about a £500 (rather than £1,500) BDP connected to a projector.

If, as certain tech review websites state, the Oppo 103 is a "reference" BDP, what would one gain from spending three times as much? Even the 105 is just twice the 103's price. Is there a more expensive BDP you'd recommend above either current Oppo models?

I was simply stating my opinion (which I stand by). I think spending that much on a Blu-ray player is a false economy. You may well disagree, but I think if you've got a spare £1,500 to spend on kit, it would be more wisely spent on other components.

Besides, as Ben observes, what would this hypothetical £1,500 Blu-ray player be?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Reference Status full stop, or Reference Status at its price point? I'm guessing Reference Status at its price point.

My analogy wasn't based on any price. It could be a £500 player, it could be a £1500 player. If I could demonstrate a clearly better looking picture at £1500 compared to a £1000 player, people would buy it.

If a source component can be better, it's not a false economy to spend money on it. If people think that 1080p is 1080p, they're not going to believe for one minute that a better player can look better - that's understandable. They have to be shown the difference to believe.

Theres a lot of factors at play here though.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it, though I'm happy to be corrected, when the websites in question award a product reference status, it means reference status full stop. There's only ever one product in a particular category (i.e. all TVs, all BDPs, or whatever else) listed as reference status at any one time.

If there was a £1,500 BDP that was demonstrably the best available and offered a significant upgrade over less expensive players, I'd agree that it would be worth recommending as part of a very high end system (a high end projector would be a prerequisite). But we're dealing in hypotheticals here, and the poster contemplating spending £1,500 on a BDP is looking to buy at this particular moment, in the real world.

On that basis, I stand by my advice... It's certainly not worth spending that kind of money on a BDP. If I qualify that statement with the words "right now," perhaps we can find some common ground.

That said, I'm not convinced a £1,500 BDP that blows current high end players out of the water will ever exist. In my view, the law of diminishing returns is greater on BDPs that other AV equipment (I'm not talking digital cables here, as I don't want to start that debate on an already heated thread). I consequently still think the poster contemplating such a purchase would get better value upgrading other kit.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've been reading WHF for around 20 years. I still find it an enjoyable read, but, have to say, their tastes and mine as to the qualities and values of equipment now diverge wildly. As to reviews, they are all subjective (at least in WHF). Personally, I like some data and some context to my reviews, but that's just me. If someone wants to trust a few paragraphs of subjective opinion in preference to longer, more detailed reviews with objective data as to the performance of video processors, etc. then who I am to say that they should not? As to conflicting views and differing opinions, it reminds me of Captain Rum in Blackadder and his view as to the need for a crew for a ship "Everyone else says you do. I says you don't' (or words that effect). I'm sure the Pioneer is a great player (no doubt), but, as an owner of the Oppo 103 after having other bluray players, and as someone with an interest in video processing for DVD and other sources, I find the WHF review suprising. The evidence of my own eyes (subjective) and of objective facts (processing performance tests) rather suggest that the Oppo is a reference level video performer. If I had to follow one review on the Oppo, WHF's would not be it.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
As I understand it, though I'm happy to be corrected, when the websites in question award a product reference status, it means reference status full stop. There's only ever one product in a particular category (i.e. all TVs, all BDPs, or whatever else) listed as reference status at any one time.

If there was a £1,500 BDP that was demonstrably the best available and offered a significant upgrade over less expensive players, I'd agree that it would be worth recommending as part of a very high end system (a high end projector would be a prerequisite). But we're dealing in hypotheticals here, and the poster contemplating spending £1,500 on a BDP is looking to buy at this particular moment, in the real world.

On that basis, I stand by my advice... It's certainly not worth spending that kind of money on a BDP. If I qualify that statement with the words "right now," perhaps we can find some common ground.

That said, I'm not convinced a £1,500 BDP that blows current high end players out of the water will ever exist. In my view, the law of diminishing returns is greater on BDPs that other AV equipment (I'm not talking digital cables here, as I don't want to start that debate on an already heated thread). I consequently still think the poster contemplating such a purchase would get better value upgrading other kit.

It all depends on context and individual needs as to what one values. However, as a general rule of thumb, I'd agree with what you say, as most bluray players are excellent performers at a very low price point. Hence, with a good bluray transfer and all additional processing off, I doubt most people would see any real difference in the picture performance of something like a budget LG or Tosh bluray player and a high end Denon/Marantz, Oppo or whatever. Processing to deal with poorer transfers is where differences will start to appear, as well as feature sets, as well as processing of DVDs. Sound quality is more subjective, but will also differ, as will build quality. However, I'd agree that the difference between a decent budget bluray player and a higher end player are less marked than the difference between, say, a £300 AV receiver and £600 AV receiver.

jj123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Duaplex, of course there are great UK-based audio equipment manufacturers. No would would disagree.

Sad that you can't see the UK slant though. Something so obvious from over here. Every action that they take doesn't need to be "pro-UK" to support the idea that they have some skin in the game with some of these companies. Far too many UK products getting reviewed on this site, just feeding the your market. Why don't you go read the review on the Oppo95 - they talk more about Cambridge Audio than they do about the Oppo unit that they're reviewing. Nearly all the accessories and seperates on this site come from UK companies. Sure, there are exceptions I know that, so you don't need to go and find one exception and bring it to me. I won't be entertained or feel like you somehow put a hole in my statement.

And btw, I have a Chord QuteHD DAC, Furutech RCA's and XLR's, Cary Audio SLP98 Tube Pre-Amp, Krell 402e Power Amp, B&W 802 diamonds, and Pure 10 awg Silver Core Speaker cables...that's my downstairs system. The upstairs system has a Panasonic Plasma, Mcintosh MC205 5-channel into 4-CM9s, and a CM Center Channel.

So no I don't have Bose, but you're little set-up probably sounds like Bose compared to either of mine...toodles :wave:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jj123 said:
Far too many UK products getting reviewed on this site, just feeding the your market.

A UK magazine with a UK website reviewing UK products? It's a ******* outrage I tell you!!!

Seriously though, what point are you trying to make? Why would I, a UK resident, want to look at a magazine or website that reviewed a load of products I can't buy?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts