Opinions Required

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable.
I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well.
I would like readers opinions on which cable is best and what the pros and cons are of each type.
Also I understand that both cables should be the same length even if they do not need to be is this correct. In my case one of the cables only needs to be 2 metres long so I guess that I will have to make a large coil with the excess.
Thanks for your help

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Coll said:
I have a system that comprises Audiolab 8200CD Player, Rega Brio R Amplifier and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. To fit the RX6s in I have revamped my lounge and need to rewire the speakers. The longest run is 5 metres but the cable has to pass below a skirting board so I need a slim cable. I was thinking of using either QED Classic 79 Strand or QED Original, size wise these two cables work well. I would like readers opinions on which cable is best and what the pros and cons are of each type. Also I understand that both cables should be the same length even if they do not need to be is this correct. In my case one of the cables only needs to be 2 metres long so I guess that I will have to make a large coil with the excess. Thanks for your help
Hi I think unless you are talking cable runs that are miles long it will not be a problem if 1 cable run is 2 mtrs and the other is say 8 meters it will be ok some one who knows more on this than I do will i am sure tell you why as for cables I can't help you on that one but as I say there are lots of very knowlegable people on this forum :) :)

Not too many of us will have had to choose slim cables and different lengths, so don't be too surprised you haven't been deluged!

I'm on record as preferring equal lengths, because a) it treats both channels the same and b) I'd always think I heard a difference if it was otherwise! You might not notice, and coiling up cables is never great (think inductance).

I've used chunky 5m cables before with unequal distances, and simply ran the shorter run back on itself (a sort of squashed s shape, you might say), but not coiled up.

See if you can audition the system with lengths before installing under floors or whatever, as by then it will be too late. There are also flat types, like the expensive Kimber 8LPC, and there are doubtless many more mainly aimed at cinema systems. Worth ringing a few of the suppliers that advertise in the back pages of the mag.

Good luck.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually having read some old posts I have decided that equal lengths is best idea and when I said coil I did actually mean an S shape in the cable so that sorts out the first part of my question.
Just remains the question of which QED cable of the two that I mentioned would be best for my system so advice here would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts