Opinions: How much are B&W PM1s better than Kef LS50s?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Supreme said:
I currently own a pair of Acoustic Energy AE120's which have served me well since new over the last 15 years. They are a bit bass heavy which have suited me and the music I listen too but I have heard some monitors over the last year and have been impressed.

I suppose the question is, will I be happy with bookshelf speakers since owning floorstanders. The LS50s and the R300s are on the audition list.

I personally would miss the scale and impact of a floorstander, unless in a fairly small room. Here are a few of my observations: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-kef-regaand-a-friend

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
kingsap said:
Listened to both and i would give my point to the PM1 based on sound quality alone and not VFM. both were powered by a naim superuniti. The ls50 doesnt lack dynamics and punch, but the bass extension was not deep enough. The pm1 provided very good bass for the size. I was surprised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYVcb1X4vI

is this bass extension not deep enough?

Regards

damonster said:
I don't think it matters what is technically better out of the two.Its a case of what will match your system better or what you like the sound of better .unless you go and demo both you are not going to know.there is nothing worse than buying blind or going on technical specs.i demoed ls50 against Pmc db1i .The ls50 were technically better but i loved the tonal qualities of the pmcs .majority of people on here prefered the ls50 .better is only something you can decide by demoing.Its personal tastes.

Indeed: I've been preaching this rubbish for years. ;)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Supreme said:
How do the LS50s cope with music like reggae and hip hop?

I think they are fine for reggae with a powerful amp and a bit of volume, I tried Bob Marley and after the PMC DB1s it seemed to come alive. Don't play hip-hop whatever that is. Yes some people will want more bass but I think for their size the bass output is average.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks BigH, like I said, the LS50's are on the audition list. If they are as good as the hype suggests then £800 is a bargain and my room is quite small.

Hip Hop

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Supreme said:
Thanks BigH, like I said, the LS50's are on the audition list. If they are as good as the hype suggests then £800 is a bargain and my room is quite small.

Hip Hop

They are good but not sure they are the best for small rooms, maybe try the Kef R100s as well.

Thanks for the hip hop link but its not for me.

TRENDING THREADS