Opinion on a Cartridge please?

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Some years ago I bought a Project Audio Debut 2 Turntable and I thought I ordered a spare stylus for it. I remember that the dealer I bought it from was closing down so I think I got the turntable and stylus for £150 or there abouts.

Anyway, I thought that after 3 years I'd hunt down the new stylus and replace the old one.It turns out that it was in fact a whole cartridge complete with stylus that the dealer had thrown in when I bought it.

I'm currently using an Ortofon OM5 cartridge, and the new one I have is an Ortofon 510mk2. Can I ask, am I better to replace the OM5 with the 510MK2 or just replace the stylus?

Will I get an improvement in sound by using the 510mk2 instead?

Your Comments will be most welcome.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
yes replace it,it's a very good cartridge.or upgrade the om5 to an om10 or 20 stylus the om30 is quite pricey but a very good stylus as i believe it's a fine line contact.you can also upgrade the stylus on the 510 to 530 spec which again i believe to be a fine line contact.both cartridges are very good with not a lot between them.i prefer the 500 series others the om series but you have nothing to lose and eveything to gain.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Interesting!

Does that mean I can use an OM10 or OM20 or OM30 stylus in an OM5 Cartridge?

I'didn't realise that! is this indeed the case?

John Duncan

[quote user="JohnDuncan"](though not cheaper at the OM30 level, if I recall)[/quote]

can't quite work it out as it's complicated, but I think the om30 stylus is about 90 quid, and there's an om40 as well (more than your deck).

John Duncan

Though I should point out that I have now learned to read - you have a *free* 510mk11. That's a better cartridge than your 5 and you should fit that as first step. If you want to upgrade later then the 510 has an upgrade path same as the OM range - 520/530/540.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts