OPETH - Big Chris

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris. I'm sure I've seen you post about OPETH in the past.

Im listening to a few random songs of theirs on Spotify.

What do you think is a good album to start with. There's loads of stuff on there.

Thanks.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi richardw42,

I am not Big Chris as you may have noticed, but I believe he considers Blackwater Park to be 'the greatest album ever recorded'. Not a direct quote but I think I remember him saying something like this.

Having liked Opeth for a number of years I would recommend starting with Blackwater Park as it's probably the most accessible to someone new to Opeth, perhaps then Still Life. Damnation and Deliverance were follow ups to Blackwater Park and are worth a look (they separate the heavier tracks and acoustic track onto each album which I though would be a terrible idea but actually works)

My favourite Opeth track is Demon of the Fall

EDIT: Grammar and stuff

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, Blackwater Park is my fave album of all time. :rockout:

If you want mellower stuff, it's gotta be 'Damnation' & 'Heritage'. Both these albums have no 'death metal style' vocals, but as an Opeth fan I was more than a bit disappointed with Heritage.

'Watershed' is a great album and probably tied with 'Deliverance' as my 2nd fave album. 'Ghost Reveries' is a smidge more commercial, but it's also seriously good (and probably the best produced of all Opeth albums).

I like the first 3 albums, but they're not on my list of regularly played as much as the mid period stuff.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. So far I've listened to Blackwater Park & Ghost Reveries.

I need to listen again. The differing styles within an album confused me a bit. Indeed the first song on Ghost Reveries sound like Tool v Arch Enemy v Jethro Tull. (I liked it, btw :) )

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Yeah, Blackwater Park is my fave album of all time. :rockout:

If you want mellower stuff, it's gotta be 'Damnation' & 'Heritage'. Both these albums have no 'death metal style' vocals, but as an Opeth fan I was more than a bit disappointed with Heritage.

'Watershed' is a great album and probably tied with 'Deliverance' as my 2nd fave album. 'Ghost Reveries' is a smidge more commercial, but it's also seriously good (and probably the best produced of all Opeth albums).

I like the first 3 albums, but they're not on my list of regularly played as much as the mid period stuff.

Ghost Reveries is not any more commercial than other Opeth albums. Also Still life is Opeth's best album and the greatest metal album ever made.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I have -

`Blackwater Park`, `Ghost Reveries`, `Still Life`,`My Arms, Your Hearse`,`Deliverance` and `Damnation` and wouldn`t want to be without any of them. What I should really do is make an effort and get one or two of them on vinyl one of these days.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Blackwater Park is a fantastic album (as long as you don't mind the growling vocals). Never quite got into Heritage which may as well be by a different band.

Ditto. And sadly it seems like the new album is going to be more of the same. :cry:

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
survivor said:
I have -

`Blackwater Park`, `Ghost Reveries`, `Still Life`,`My Arms, Your Hearse`,`Deliverance` and `Damnation` and wouldn`t want to be without any of them. What I should really do is make an effort and get one or two of them on vinyl one of these days.

I'd definitely recommend 'Watershed' too. Some don't like it, but tracks like 'Porcelain Heart' and 'Burden' are seriously good, and classic Opeth.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I got a notification from Bristol Academy about Opeth gig in October.

Quite a few other dates in uk for October.

http://www.opeth.com/home/tour-dates

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Big Chris said:
stevee1966 said:
Blackwater Park is a fantastic album (as long as you don't mind the growling vocals). Never quite got into Heritage which may as well be by a different band.

Ditto. And sadly it seems like the new album is going to be more of the same. :cry:

The thing that makes Opeth such an amazing and unique band is that they do things their way and don't give a hoot what anyone one else thinks. So many bands in the metal world do the same thing over and over again and are afraid to try anything new in fear of being called sell outs by their fans. Not Opeth and that's why I love them so very much. I would get very board of the band if they just released Blackwater park part 2 over and over again. I love that Opeth are not afraid to try new things, it is why the band have become so loved by so many people. If that bothers you then maybe your not as big a fan of the band as you say. It's Mikael art and he can do what ever he likes on the new album and people who ***** and moan are not true Opeth fans but stupid metal childish metal fans who think everything should sound like extreme death metal and when it does not they cry sell outs (stupid people). Its going to sound awesome because Mikael always does.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I love Damnation, I love Storm Corrosion too.. I'm not adverse to melody in my metal which is why I got into Opeth in the first place, but when they change the formula too much they end up losing what made Opeth, well... Opeth! I'm not after carbon copies of Blackwater Park, but I'm also not so blinded with admiration that I'll proclaim anything they/ he produces as the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll be buying the new album without a doubt, but if my suspicions are correct, Opeth's best is now behind them.....

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Don't get me wrong. I love Damnation, I love Storm Corrosion too.. I'm not adverse to melody in my metal which is why I got into Opeth in the first place, but when they change the formula too much they end up losing what made Opeth, well... Opeth! I'm not after carbon copies of Blackwater Park, but I'm also not so blinded with admiration that I'll proclaim anything they/ he produces as the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll be buying the new album without a doubt, but if my suspicions are correct, Opeth's best is now behind them.....

How do you know that Opeth's best work is behind them? Just because you say it is does not make it true. The only person who can tell us that is MIkeal and you are not him. What a very stupid thing to say. As long as they keep to the originality then they can never lose what made them the amazing band they are.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
richardw42 said:
BC added the caveat "if my suspicions are true "

READ THE WHOLE POST.

And just because Big Chris has his suspicions (no idea where he got that from anyway)

I got it from the song they've already released/ leaked from the new album.......... :roll:

Yes, it's only one song I know, but it's not a classic in my eyes.

Nobody has said you have to take, what is only my opinion don't forget, as gospel. You love Opeth & Mikael Akerfeldt, that's great, good for you. But I'm old enough now to know being a fan is not blindly buying an artist's work and praising it as genius. I know I'm not alone in this regard... I'm not even alone in this regard in my own household of two people..... My Wife being as much a fan of 'mid-era' Opeth as myself and almost as non-plussed by Heritage as I was.

I like Mike Patton, but his 'Adult themes for voice' is total and complete B.S. It's him just making noises and sounds. Must be my most expensive CD if you factor in number of times listened to.

If Mikael released an album of him farting in the bathtub because that's what he wants to do, good on him, as a musician myself I know you don't do music for other people, but I for one doubt if I'd proclaim it as genius. If I did, I'd have crossed the line from fan to blind obsession

What exactly is the problem here anyway, we both love Opeth, and just because I have a certain opinion of their career to this point, hardly warrants you calling me "Stupid"....... If anything, the name calling - which I have not participated in - would seem to flag you as the more childish in this conversation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts