Oops I did it again...More Sony ES gear...!

T

the record spot

Must be a Sony month for me. Just picked up a amp that looks like it's in great shape. In case you're wondering, it's from the late 80s I think, onboard DAC, 95wpc and was around £350 on release. Usual story, watch this space, etc...!

c3cbb77aa67c04cc1fadc478d7346c28.jpg

T

the record spot

Dozy me, cut out the amp name when searching for an image instead of copying. It's a Sony TA-F630ESD model!

T

the record spot

Okay, so it's arrived after much to-ing and fro-ing. The CD player is still AWOL but should be coming through soon.

Can't really fault this amp in a hurry; build is excellent and substantial (14kg I think). Ample power, 80wpc, bit Sony ES transformer, onboard DAC and three digital input (and one output) option. Coax and optical too and with a MM/MC phono stage.

Soundwise, I'd say it's pretty neutral. Partnered with (reportedly) brighter sounding gear such as Cambridge, or Cyrus, with correspondingly brighter voiced speakers, this will likely make for an unpleasant or sharp sound.

It delivers a crisp, detailed sounds that lets you hear exactly what's going on in a recording, each layer revealed so you know who's doing what. I haven't listened to much yet, a few albums, but this wouldn't be out of place in a higher priced setup. The DAC does a fine job. Simple as that.

For £110, this was a steal. If you find one, you've landed a winner. I've a ton of listening to do with this, but with music and movies (just watching JJ Abrams' Star Trek) it shines.

Why oh why did Sony lose their way with the ES line with products like this...?

T

the record spot

They're both excellent. The Sony's more detailed I think, but I haven't (and won't) be doing a side by side. They're simply two great amps that offer slightly different functionality, separated by just over twenty years. Delighted I landed it though; it's been good to hear it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts