Onkyo TX-SR876 for B & W 685 theatre package ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am buying the Bowers & Wilkins 7.1 speaker package and am looking for a suitable av receiver.They are currentley selling the Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver on Amazon for £650 will I get anything better for that sort of price? I will be using this for Sky HD, blu ray and gaming on PS3 as well as wanting it for use with ipod as my main stereo.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

For that price I can't think of anything to touch it.

Spend some money on Mains conditioning and it will be transformed again.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to sound a bit thick but when you say mains conditioning ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

You could probably pick up an NR905 for similar money. It's one generation older but more powerful and adds network streaming. There's nothing much wrong with the SR876 though (except maybe the way it looks), especially as your priorities seem to be TV, movies and games. If you can afford it, go for the 684 Theatre package with the floorstanding front speakers.

A

Anonymous

I have looked at the 684s but I thought they may be a bit overkill for my lounge which is only 12" x 8". Any ideas if the 685s will be ok on a shelf or really need stands and also if the sub and fronts will be ok on floor under a shelf?

A

Anonymous

The footprint of the 684s is about the same as the 685s on stands. I've no idea how well the 685s work on shelves. You definitely don't want them sitting on the floor. And it's probably not a good idea to site the sub under a shelf or too close to any other flat surface (except the floor, of course).

You might be better off with a sub / sat 'style' package in a room that size (and with your positioning requirements). My lounge is 12' x 12' and, as much as I'd like to squeeze in a set of full-size speakers, it just winds up looking cluttered.

TRENDING THREADS