Onkyo TX-SR505 or Onkyo TX-SR605

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I’m after some advice that I’m hoping someone would answer or let me know of their experiences. I currently have a PS3 and a budget of about £600. I am unsure of whether to purchase a TX-SR605 with cheaper speakers or a TX-SR505 with more expensive speakers. The speakers would have to be style speakers and the smaller the better. It will be used for movies and games. If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it, I am looking to have it all setup by xmas. I look forward to your advice and recommendations

A

Anonymous

just wondering what speakers you have looked at ? i have ps3 and i am getting 605 around xmas.i'll be pairing it with Monitor Audio Bronze package.also the 605 appears to be very popular with gamers on ps3 forums

A

Anonymous

Im not too sure what speakers to go for yet again it depends on what amp I get and what setup is recommended

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd go with the 605 - a good step up, with HD support: will give you more performance for a relatively small step up in cost. That's why it's Product of the Year - ultimate value.

A

Anonymous

I would agree. The 605 is a seriously good piece of kit and the 605 will give you ample opportunity to upgrade and improve your system at a later date.
To be honest at your budget I would try and get either the Jamo A102 HCS5 AV or the Kef 1005 package for either the 505 or the 605.

A

Anonymous

the 605 it is then, now I will check them speakers out, will they do the system justice? many thanks for your imput

A

Anonymous

I have decided to take the plunge to place the order for an Onkyo TX-SR605 and Jamo A102HCS5 Cinema System for £598 inc Vat and delivery, I hope this is a good deal?. If I dont order it now I will still be sat here in January still thinking about it. I know this is another stupid question but is there anything else I need, I assume these speakers come with wall mounts and cables or am I wrong? If I am can someone please recommend what cable is worth investing in (budget is about 2 quid now)

Juzzie Wuzzie

Sounds a very good deal. I just paid c.£230 for the speakers alone and when you add £400 in for the amp, you are well better off. I did get 15m of speaker cable (question quality) thrown in with my order, but in any event purchased QED Micro as this cable is four star (not five of the SA XT) and will be able to be "submerged" into the walls for a totally hidden install.

Speakers should come with mounting brackets.

A

Anonymous

Sub woofer cable? I hadn't thought of that, I will look online now, Juzzie let me know how you get on

A

Anonymous

Hi it's me again with another simple question I hope, the length of my room is 3.5 meters and the farthest rear speaker run will be 3meters across (I will have to tack the cable around the skirting as I have a concrete floor), the two front speakers will be about 1.5 meters from the amp, I am guessing that if I purchase the QED SA XT cable I will require about 17 meters as each rear speaker needs it own cable running, is this correct? I am going to order about 20 meters at £4.60 p/m just to be safe. Can anyone also recommend a decent budget Subwoofer cable for the above equipment that will need to be around 3 meters long also?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions

A

Anonymous

Try this:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/11504/groupID/707/categoryID/2378/v/dabe31ec-75d5-4fe7-9a65-64a5d72637d7

A

Anonymous

Hi Strodo

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it as I really don't have a clue about this. I wonder if you or anyone can help me with the speaker cable's I am going to buy, as I mentioned before I am going to buy about 20 meters of QED Silver Anniversary XT but then I read this on the website you pointed me to.

What do I get when I order a terminated pair?

-You get two cables, one for the left speaker and one for the right speaker. The cables will be terminated with 4mm banana plugs. If you order a stereo pair each cable will have 2 plugs at the amplifier end and 2 plugs at the speaker end. This is 4 plugs per run of cable and a total of 8 plugs for the pair. If you order a bi-wire pair each cable will have 2 plugs at the amplifier end and 4 plugs at the speaker end. This is 6 plugs per run of cable and a total of 12 plugs for the pair. If you order a bi-amp pair each cable will have 4 plugs at the amplifier end and 4 plugs at the speaker end. This is 8 plugs per run of cable and a total of 16 plugs for the pair.

What cables would you recommend I get? to go with the kit I have ordered, There is no rush as my order has now been delayed due to everyone now buying Jamo since the review in whathifi, I just hope I get it by Xmas

A

Anonymous

Don't bother with terminated ends.

Also it would probably make more sense just buying QED original or maybe the silver micro, that will save you a few bob. You won't really need the SA XT unless you are planning on upgrading your speakers in the future.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again, I do plan to upgrade the speakers later in the new year but it depends on budget and if I would really notice any difference? You have been very helpful I jut hope the kit arrives now

A

Anonymous

Hi Juzzie, have you set it yet? how does it compare to your expectations

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Have been using a 'monster bass 400' from monster cables for about 18 months..cost around $200 Australian so it should be around 60 GBP for a 4m length..it gives very deep and tuneful bass in a home cinema set up and they do make lesser cables for a lesser price. (it even came with a 'Y' piece to plug into a stereo amp)..........cheers ...ian

Juzzie Wuzzie

[quote user="chuffe"]
Hi Juzzie, have you set it yet? how does it compare to your expectations
[/quote]

Can't really tell you, yet. Update is that the LCD television is mounted, with ALL wires hidden (incl. power) and speaker wires (c,l,r (I'm not running rears at the moment) is also in the wall, along with QED 3m (should have got 2m, my mistake) also in the wall and hidden. Omnimount Tria shelf system also mounted. So, this weekend involves, sanding and repainting the wall to hide skim and filler, purchasing of an Onkyo 605 (probably from Richer Sounds as everyone is selling them at £399), wall mounting of speakers, and setting the whole thing up. I will initially run Sky via HDMI (QED) and DVD via component (QED + Monster Cable optical for sound) and replace the latter with another QED HDMI in due course (i.e. when money allows). System installlation will be totally hidden - incl. all power cables and other wiring - should look nice (hopefully, time and effort allowing). Was really impressed by the Onkyo 605's ability to put any and all information through the HDMI cable so you can hook up an Apple iTV / iPod with tv shows / movies on it and watch on the tv. Now that IS future proof. As an aside, may even look to run cable to the rear two speakers but g/f is opposed to even more speakers being mounted on the walls, and not really much other option other than stand mounts to come in and out of the room.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like it will be cracking once finished.

Has anyone had any experience with Black Rhodium T50 cables can get 20 meters bundled for £45 with Onkyo sr605 at £375?

A

Anonymous

My Jamo speakers never arrived for one reason and another, and now I can't seem to get hold of them from anywhere this side of Christmas. Can anyone recommend any style speakers for under £400 possibly the KEF 1005? I have a nice Onkyo amp but nothing to plug into it. Cheers

A

Anonymous

check out superfi they have loads of options for under 400 pounds, including Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 package for 300. hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts