Onkyo TX-NR709, Marantz SR6006 or Pioneer VSX 1201

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm now able to upgrade my beloved Sony STR-DA5200es and am looking for some advice on which amp/receiver to go for? I am able to get all three of the aformentioned units for around the same money but cant decide which one to go for. I'm not bothered about Airplay, Spotify or other internet based application its just the pure video/sound quality I want. So any help is much appreciated

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I got a Onkyo 809 today and is streets ahead of 609 I had before! you can get these for £699 if that helps I know it does not answer your question exactly only a extra £100

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think if you liked music slightly more than films, the Marantz, and if you liked films a little more than music, the Onkyo. If I was picking one of those three, it'd be the 709.

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your input David, I would assume you've had the opportunity to listen to both.

Although the Onkyo has more features I'm pulled towards the Marantz...Its a beautiful unit.

What were your reasons for picking the Onkyo? As mentioned before I'm not interested in added gizmos, just the video/audio performance.

Also would you say the internal DAC on these units is good enough for me to get rid of my dacmagic?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz products have certainly become better looking since inheriting the facias of their higher end counterparts. I'm sure the 6006 will do you proud.

My choice of the Onkyo is that I feel Onkyo are one of the stronger AV receivers at this sort of price at the moment. The AV receiver market is a yo-yoing one - most manufacturers take turns in being the top dog at any one time.

As far as their internal DACs are concerned, I can't really comment as I've not heard the DACmagic.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
From my personal experience I would steer clear of Onkyo. They have all kinds of reliability problems.

Just try Googling "Onkyo HDMI" and see all the pain!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
That tends to be earlier models which ran hotter, which isn't an issue now. Onkyo have no more HDMI issues than anyone else. It seems to be part and parcel of the 'sub-standard' connection I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

IMO the Marantz is more musical and movie soundtracks sound better, the Onkyo seems to have quicker turn of pace, with action movies (if that makes sense). Video performance really should not factor too much as you have a BDP and the TV will upscale any SD content you watch. Can you go and have a listen at both?

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo yes but not the Marantz. To be fair I have now sold my Dacmagic to fund the purchase so I need a good musical reciever to substitue its departure.

For that reason and that a Hi-fi stockist that sold both said the Marantz was stonking in movie mode, has made me lean towards the Marantz.

Oh and its bloody gorgeus...if you can say that about hifi

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
Finally plumped for the Marantz and am so happy i did. It looks even better in the flesh then it did on screen and it sounds wonderful too. Music is full bodied and detailed, whilst movie soundtracks are powerful and engaging.

I cant praise it highly enough. I thought my old Sony 5200es reciever was good, but this is in a different league. I dont understand why it hasnt had more reviews. Definitely a contender for Onkyo's 709s crown at this pricepoint

TRENDING THREADS