ONKYO TX-NR609 5* rating but were all channel tested ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently purchased amp on What HiFi recommendation but there seems to be a lot of people now out there with the same issue. I simply want to listen to radio via my TV Samsung D7000. Have TV and Amp cabled up via a single 'Chord supershield' HDMI cable. SElect TV/CD channel and no sound. All other channels no problem. Have you also found this isse with this AV receiver ?

Paul.

Is the TV definitely outputting sound back along the HDMI, i.e does the TV have audio return enabled? Im not familiar with your kit so cant tell you how to do it, but these are the subjects you need to google. Good luck!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Are you using the HDMI2 socket on the Samsung, which is the only one on which ARC works?

Have you got ANYNET+ turned on on the Samsung, Audio output selected as Receiver On on the TV, RIHD turned on on the Onkyo, and then ARC set to auto on the Onkyo?

That should do it - provided, that is, you are using a suitable HDMI cable with internal wiring for ARC (ie one of the models designated 'High Speed', which we used to call HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 1.4a).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for a speedy response. All of the above are as you have defined. I wondered if you were in the position to run your own test and feedback? I have also seen the problem on another 609 connected with a new viera neo plasma.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately, due to staff shortages caused by holidays, etc., we really don't have time to run a specific test for this problem, but I will alert Onkyo to your problem and ask if it has any information. Apologies that I can't offer any more direct help at the moment.

EDIT: Onkyo has come back to me on this one – is it OK if I pass on your email address so someone there can contact you directly?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, No problem at all. I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue asap. Many Thanks. I guess you have access to my profile details so I need not post email here?

kbarnak

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi, on the subject of the 609. I think I have to upgrade to this model to get the 3D picture from my Blu-Ray. I can of course get 3D when I connect Blu Ray direct to TV but not when I connect through my Yamaha. Do you think the 609 is the model to go for or should I maybe go for some other AV? I'm a bit lost in the AV side of things.

A

Anonymous

If you buy a 3D Blu ray player with analogue multiple outs you can set the player to decode the HD audio and send it via LCPM and connect your HDMI direct to the TV for picture.

Otherwise yes an AVR upgrade would be on the cards. If you like the sound if the Yamaha, why not look at the new 671/771 or the slightly older 1067 or 767.

A

Anonymous

Hi Karbanak ,

Simple solution !, get a Blu ray player with 2 HDMI outputs !. There are some available , E.G , Panasomic BDT 300/310 . You use the main HDMI to send the 3D Picture directly to your TV and set HDMI 2 to 'Audio only' and send Lossless Hi Def Audio directly to your AMP. It will allow you to retain your existing Amplifier ! :). If you want a more upmarket player , try the Marantz 7006 or the New Oppo and cambridge Audio models . The Panasonic BDT300 can be found for less that 100.00 at the moment and that has 2 HDMI Outs ! :) .

A

Anonymous

:wall: Had high hopes here but no contact from Onkyo as yet. Is there anyone that can actually confirm that the Samsung UE46D7000 can 'talk' to the Onkyo TX-NR609 via ARC ? And if so what are the exact settings on both boxes ? Anyone suggest any consultants that can deal with these type of issues ?

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd be interested in knowing if this was resolved - I have a NR 609 plus Samsung D7000 and can't get the Output to work.

It claims there's no receiver connected, although if I immediately turn the TV off the amp turns off too!

Seems to be a quite common issue :(

R

A

Anonymous

I have looked on Samsungs site and in the FAQ section and there is no mention of the TV supporting ARC. With that siad it does not say it doesn't either. Very strange that a TV of that caliber would not support ARC. PS I love the D7000, wish I could have one but unfortunatly I bought the C7000 last year so I will have to wait for a while.

The reason the AMP is not seeing the TV is because the HDMI cable is connected to the "HDMI Out" slot and the TV is clearly not sending an audio signal back to the AMP for what ever reason. The AMP is anticipating the HDMI to output signal as it is not registering any signal from ARC. If you connect your TV to "HDMI IN" on the AMP the radio would work, however not very convenient having to change HDMI slots all the time. I will have a look and see if I can dig up anything further on the D7000 and ARC support.

For interest sake has any one got the same problem with another TV model, preferably one that states that it has ARC support?

A

Anonymous

Ok I have managed to dig up some info :) On your TV make sure you are using Port 2!

From Samsung manual:

This product supports the 3D and ARC (Audio Return Channel) functions via an HDMI cable. Note that the

ARC function is supported by the HDMI IN 2(ARC) port only.

xx The ARC function allows digital audio to output via the HDMI IN 2(ARC) port. It can be enabled only when the

TV is connected with an audio receiver that supports the ARC function.

From Onkyo Manual:

Audio Return Channel (ARC) function

Audio Return Channel (ARC) function enables an HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to the HDMI OUT of the

AV receiver.

This function can be used when:

– your TV is ARC capable, and

– the TV/CD input selector is selected, and

– “HDMI Control (RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 56)

– “Audio Return Channel” is set to “Auto” (➔ page 57)

Tip

To listen to audio received by the HDMI IN jacks through your TV’s speakers:

– Set the “HDMI Control (RIHD)” setting to “On” (➔ page 56)

– Set the “Audio TV Out” setting to “On” (➔ page 57) or the “HDMI Control

(RIHD)” setting to “Off”.

– Set your Blu-ray Disc/DVD player’s HDMI audio output setting to PCM.

– To listen to TV audio through the AV receiver, see “Connecting Your Components” (➔ page 18)

And this step looks important too:

Using the ARC function

You can listen to sound through a receiver connected HDMI cable without the need for a separate optical cable.

1. Select Receiver and set to On.

2. Press the EXIT button to exit.

To use the ARC function, a receiver which supports the HDMI-CEC and ARC features must be connected to the

HDMI IN 2(ARC) port.

Hope this helps :cheers:

A

Anonymous

please delete this post, eish having problems posting :shifty:

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi Makaveli,

Thanks for the reply. I _think_ I have checked all of those settings, but I'll check once more.

I've had a reply from Samsung that suggest they could go back a version or two of the firmware, but I don't know that would fix the issue so am loathe to try that.

It does make me think I'll go instead to a the Panasonic 42" plasma that's very highly recommended as the manual there states I can get 5.1 sound from that TV rather than the 2.1 sounds I've been told (by Samsung) is output using ARC.

Anyway, I'll check the settings one more and report back.

I'm also going to Richer Sounds this week to see if I can get a TV with less backlight bleed so I'll see if we can work through it. I'd like to keep the Samsung due it's feature set.

R

Ericthefish

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
balooney, did you manage to resolve this problem? I have very similar kit and exactly the same problem. Samsung are blaming Onkyo and I expect Onkyo will blame Samsung. Any advice would be welcome.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Try turning the TV on first, then the amp (and possible the other way round!). I've had similar problems recently when using HDMI ARC and it seems that there may be instances where one bit of kit 'waits' for the other to give a signal.

Worth a try, anyway..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts