Onkyo Tx-nr5009

Jagace

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi i am in the market for a new hometheater receiver and would like to know what is best for my B&W 683's, htm61, Wharfedale 9.1 backs and suround backs and wharfedale sw250. I have a Marantz ud5005 player. I am considering the Pioneer lx85, Yamaha rx-a3010, Denon 4311 and Onkyo tx-nr5009. I live in New Zealand and the Onkyo is the cheapest @ $3999nz, $4199nz for the yamaha, $4999nz for the Pioneer and $3999nz for the Denon. Any advice please would be great. I dont care to much for the price i just want the best all in one box reciever. Thanks

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was in the similar decision making process. The most important thing is the speakers. Do you have a near future plans to change the speakers? If yes, then you need to do audition things together.

Onkyo sound is tonally the same wat as the one that you already but more of everything in a very good way.

Pioneer gets a great recommnedation on this forum and with your B&W 6 series set up, I would say Pioneer is the way to go as the matching, IMO, is better. I would stay away from Denon in this set up as your speakers are warm / bassy and the Denon has the same character as well. Yamaha also falls in this region.

BTW, Onkyo 5009 is a level above Yamaha 3010 price wise. You can also read the group test from WHF (the latest WHF edition) of Yamaha 3010, Onkyo 3009, and Pioneer 85 which might give more insight.

I have had a good amount of experience with B&W range and the funny part is that 6 series sounds very different from the popular CM series but only the 8 series is actually worth it. So if there is a speaker upgrade in order, then you might want to consider this observation.

Jagace

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
The b&w speakers are very new and i have no desire to replace them in the near future. So which do you think is best the onkyo or pioneer? Thanks

Jagace

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
By the way i would like to no what the team at what hifi think i value your opinion and all my gear has been based on your reviews. And the only speakers i attend on replacing is the 9.1 wharfdales with B&W 685's.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Jagace said:
By the way i would like to no what the team at what hifi think i value your opinion and all my gear has been based on your reviews. And the only speakers i attend on replacing is the 9.1 wharfdales with B&W 685's.

In that case, I would say Pioneer as WHF recommends CM9 Home theatre package with the Pioneer receiver

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts