Onkyo TX-NR1009 to replace Sony STR DA1200 ES

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have promised myself the Onkyo TX-NR1009 as an upgrade as soon as i recover from the financial hit of buying an engagement ring for my now Fiancee :).

Apart from not being able to decode hd audio i want to upgrade because i have to switch my surround backs off every now and then as i get a wierd crackly hissing sound through them.

My reasons for shortlisting this receiver are. I have been steered towards Onkyo due to the great reviews they have been getting all year. I want to bi amp the fronts but still have 7.1 setup for the films which have the soundtrack and tbh i like the pro logic IIx sound i get currently i don't think sound quality is reduced by using it, So i am expecting even better from IIz. The reviews say good things about sound quality with films so expecting an improvment on my sony which i consider to be excellent already.

The price compared to the 9 channel Pioneer is now within what i am allowing but i am hoping to catch one as its price reduces further. I don't need airplay but would welcome the built in spotify as it would make it less of a faff for my partner to use than the PC source we use currently. Also i have NAS i would like to utilise so i hoping this to would become less of a faff for my partner.

My only reservation at the minute before auditioning one of these amps would be music sound quality. I listen to all my music via my current Sony STR DA1200 ES i like the sound i get from it. Even after hearing some amazing sounding systems at the Manchester Show. I still came home switched my system on and after my pc warmed up i was able to shut my eyes relax and listen happily. So given this do you think the music sound quality of the Onkyo will be on par with my Sony my two main audio sources are a Marantz CD player which i hear no difference between its analogue output or if i let my amp do the decoding (i say that shows the quality of the amp) and a pc with a Asus Xsonar Essence ST sound card through which i play spotify over analogue and send multichannel sound via optical.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a a Sony STR1200ES and was a great amp but things moved on and I wanted HD Surround track from blu rays

I went for a denon 1910 which did sound better on music and on films did sound amazing on blu ray

I have recently changed again to a Onkyo 609 which there is not as big difference as between Sony and denon however you are looking at AV amps which are nearly twice the price of the av I bought so I think you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that reply Ian I did think that generally with the difference in price i would be covered. Just a little cautious as the review on the site didn't really mention music ability as much a they do with other amps. Which reminds me does anyone know if i could get a copy of the magazine with the review of the 1009 in from Haymarket and which Magazine it was in??

Thanks for all your Help

Kevin

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Have to agree - the 1200 was well reviewed and a good amp at its price but it will be shown a clean pair of heels by the Onkyo. The NR1009 is far more accomplished in 2ch and multichannel. You wont regret it one bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts