Onkyo TX-NR1008; what speakers to match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am soon taking delivery of an Onkyo TX-NR1008, (was going for the TX-NR808 bit got this for not a lot more), and had my eye on 2 different speaker packages to go with it. My room is about 12ft x 14ft and the two I have earmarked are: -

Boston Soundware XS 5.1
KEF KHT 2005.3 with kube 2 woofer

I'm limited to around £500 tops, (haven't found the Kefs in black anywhere near this price yet though). Are these a good choice or can you offer alternatives. I am looking for discreet size hence the choices; I have no room for big speakers!

Looking to buy NOW so keen to get opinions!

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
With the amp you have chosen your budget for speakers could be greater however i think you should get theses ex demo Monitor audio vectors for under your budget or find the extra £85 to buy them new. These are a £900 4 star what hifi rated set of style speakers. This is the minimum package i would put with the amp you have. If you are looking for alternatives then the new Cambridge audio minx s215 may fit the bill which you may be able to find for your budget but i don't know a great deal about them. I still think ex demo vectors for £399 are the best you'll get for your money. I have had ex demo stock from Hifix and it's in nearly new condition with warranty and already pre run in.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice, I understand the suggestion
but I'm looking for more of a lifestyle speaker package, mainly for size
and style as my living room can't really accommodate big
floor-standers, and also as my 50" Panasonic is in a corner the slim
size appeals.

These are the final selection I have narrowed my choices down to, I
won't be able to test them all but trust at this price range, (being on a
budget), I would expect they would all sound awesome. I'm no audiophile
so really doubt I'd notice a massive difference between them; or a
least so much of a difference I'd be disappointed with one over the
other? Well, they are certainly a step up on the Boston XS I was
contemplating!

KEF KHT3005SE @ £680:33

Audica CX-System 3 speakers @ £1,300:00 (with cables), really like these for the style, mostly of the fronts

B&W MT25 @ £900:00, like them all, (maybe wall mounted, maybe stands)?

KEF T205
£1500 (if I can find for £1200ish, but new so no discounted price found
yet), again, really like these for the style of the fronts

Cambridge Audio MINX S525 £999:00 on stands/wall fixing

So, again; any opinions on your favourites of the choices I made.

Got the TX-NR1008 today... it's gorgeous, and MASSIVE!
thumbsup.gif

A

Anonymous

I've had the Audica they are very good indeed and can be had for alot less. For your corner arrangement system 1 package is really good. This is the package with the long centre speaker and fronts together. Sub is a bit weak though in terms of outright quality. B&W is the obvious choice award after award can't really mess with that record. I have heard them too they are really good. I would push for PV1 sub though if you can and spend less on the amp trust me with these small speakers there is only so much you can get out of them. The Pioneer amps sound great with them and yamaha too. Pioneer sounds more lively but Yamaha has a slightly darker sound. Personally I am not to convinced on Onkyos just yet but The cheap ones seam very well specd. I have heard Onkyos before and was not convinced by their first ones when they suddenly came out of nowhere and started gaining great reviews. The new models have supposedly improved so go check them.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
grdunn123:Going on your budget and size needs I would go for the Mission M Cubes

Excellent suggestion
emotion-21.gif

The best blend of price, performance and value for the OP's budget.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, sorry about that; the budget has increased to around £1000-£1300
emotion-3.gif

@ BobbyX - do you know a cheap retailer for the Audica then?

@ V1c - I'm off to look at some CA Minx and B&Ws today so I can see them for the size they are.

I had looked at the System 1 but not really keen on the soundbar :(

The amp looks lovely squeezed into the TV Stand, can't wait to get it hooked up!

Thanks again for replies & Happy New Year to you all

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree the Kefs are good value especially for movies, but the MA radius will be better if you intend to use them them for music

A

Anonymous

Good choice that AVR deserves a speaker package that will do it justice.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Would be great to hear your view macster on how the Onko TX-NR1008 and MA Apex combo perform?

Anybody have a view on this combo versus Pioneer SC-LX 83, Marantz 7005, Yamaha 3067 in terms film and music performance?

Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts