Onkyo tx nr 616

egis

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
do WHF thinking of reviewing Onkyo 616 any time soon?

they are in the shops, but I can't find any reviews at all.

A

Anonymous

I have heard the 616 has massive problems with the HDMI and people are returning them for the 818. they say when you power off the system for the night it wont wake up in the morning and get a no signal.

And now people are saying the 818 is delayed as well and wont be here for may.

This was on a US forum, that have a thread going dedicated to the 616 and 818.

I have a 818 on pre-order. I really hope its not delayed.

A

Anonymous

I have had the Onkyo TX-NR616 for a couple of weeks now. Worked as is should for the first week, but now... Unit will not turn on with the remote after being off over night. today after pwr on the display was showing a split screen, with a mirror image on the r/h side showing people with blue skin. Then after some pwr cycles I just could not get the video to come back (audio fine). And to boot the OSD is not working although it is set to on. I have the lastest firmware and still no luck. VERY disapointing. Given that others are having the same problems I would not recommend this unit.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about this, Sean. Don't waste any more time. Take the Onkyo TX-NR616 back to the shop and get a refund or replacement with something more reliable. This doesn't sound to me like the sort of problem that will settle down with time. You should still be able to get a Yamaha RX-A810 (about £550 -600) or RX-A1010 (about £700), depending on how much you paid for your Onkyo.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sean said:
I have had the Onkyo TX-NR616 for a couple of weeks now. Worked as is should for the first week, but now... Unit will not turn on with the remote after being off over night. today after pwr on the display was showing a split screen, with a mirror image on the r/h side showing people with blue skin. Then after some pwr cycles I just could not get the video to come back (audio fine). And to boot the OSD is not working although it is set to on. I have the lastest firmware and still no luck. VERY disapointing. Given that others are having the same problems I would not recommend this unit.

Sean

Have you contacted Onkyo service about this? If not, are you happy for me to pass your email address on to Onkyo so they can pursue this matter for you?

A

Anonymous

That is true about these amps with their video out problems, had mine 2 wks now and have lost the video signal 4 times having to pull the power supply to correct it. Very disappointed as I have read so many awesome reviews on this brand, but most of these reviews left out the point of them being so unreliable.

Question now is what shall I replace it with that offers the same features and sound quailty? :?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
glennx2003 said:
That is true about these amps with their video out problems, had mine 2 wks now and have lost the video signal 4 times having to pull the power supply to correct it. Very disappointed as I have read so many awesome reviews on this brand, but most of these reviews left out the point of them being so unreliable.

glennx2003,

Again, have you contacted Onkyo service about this? If not, are you happy for me to pass your email address on to Onkyo so they can pursue this matter for you?

A

Anonymous

Yes that's fine to do so. I did email them and was told the latest firmware update would sort it but I already have it installed with no improvement.

Would you recommend any others?

A

Anonymous

Got my 616 3 days ago, did all of the firmware updates using the network option as soon as I had set it up then the next day no video from the main HDMI out. Checked to see if there were any more updates via network, there were none. I did read that many were experiencing the same issue, my firmware update took me to ver xxx300. I then visited the Onkyo website and found ver xxx400 which states that it fixes the loss of video via HDMI, it also mentions that this is via USB only!

Downloaded it and installed it, all seems to be fine at the moment but will keep an eye on it, otherwise a terrific sounding amp better than my old 806 which by the way never gave me any problems, just didn't have the flexibility that the 616 gives.

Tip. Follow the instructions to the letter then when all finished and tested unplug the unit for 10-20 seconds then plug it back in, These units are becoming more like a PC so a reboot (rather than just putting it into standby) maybe required when undertaking firmware updates no matter which manufacturer

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A lot of complaints here in the US about this particular Onkyo receiver as well, check out Avforums.com and the customer reviews on amazon.com. Amazon.com is discounting its remaining units (12 as I type) to half price to shift them.

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR717, the next model up, in November, been using it since Chrimbo, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It too was marked down by 50% from the magically-just-under $1000 US to the magically-just-under $500 (640-odd quid to 320-odd quid? - remember that in the US, sales tax, if payable, is added on top of this, so in the UK prices should be 20% higher, but no more except for the "rip-off Britain" factor)

Don't know if the 717 is sold in the UK or not, but I would suggest anyone thinking of the 616 should avoid it like the plague, stay off the curries for a couple of extra weeks and go for the 717 or 818.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Mr Everard

Do you have any update on the 616 Problem please, its been a while and have tried to look to see if this has been answered. I would not mind taking a go at one of these, on the basis that said problems have abated,They do seem to be highly regarded when working Ok, and can be had for little money [probably why] But wanted to know if you had a response to your enqiury on behalf of members.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I didn't make an enquiry on behalf of members, but rather passed on the poster's email address to Onkyo, as discussed above.

I assume since we have heard no more that the matter was resolved satisfactorily.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts