Onkyo SR605 A/V - what spec speakers would be compatible?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the Onkyo TX-SR605 to match my Sony BDP-S500, but seeing that an other forum post said that it was not powerful enough to drive the KEF 3005 speakers to their best, I wonder what would be a good size/fit of speakers for it (in a room 12'x 15')? Any help appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew - I can't afford the KEF 3000 anyway (I am looking sub £500) but I would like to know what range of speakers in power and ohms would be a decent match - for example, would speakers under 75w be too small and would 150w be too large? I realise this is rather a basic question.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Claire - I am not going for KEF because I don't like the look of the egg speakers and I have also heard a number of reports of the woofers blowing up after a while....I am curious as to know the basic idea of speaker compatibility with an amp as regards power specs

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sub £500, go for the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package, or if you fancy a 'style' system, the Mordaunt-Short Genie. I think the other obvious contender, the KEF KHT1005.2, would be too small for your room, and the KHT2005.2, which might just be suitable at a push, is a bit over budget.

The size of the speakers, and their ability to shift air, is much more important than their power-handling figure.

A

Anonymous

I have found the KEF 2005.2 at £400 online but I don't like the egg shape (looks silly in my opinion) - I definitely want an unobtrusive Style system (similar to Bose but much better value and better quality)

A

Anonymous

Good Evening Ms. Editor

Im one of your millions fans (i bought my copy in newstands here in the philippines and now, im in riyadh) of your esteemed magazine, and i think it's about a decade now since ive first bought your famed mag and always follows your recomendations and advices.

But here my scenario right now, ive already bought your product of the year, the ONKTO tx sr-605....im planning tomorrow to buy the PIONEER BDPLX70A coz ive wanted a bluray player because it can decodes the latest HD Sound and my problem now is which HOME CINEMA SYSTEM would be perfect for it......im leaning towards Bowers and Wilkins products, AND ITS the B&W 685 Theater System.

Because i will make the b&w 685 fronts for hifi(cd palying) and my second choice is the Tannoy mercury F1 since im planning also to buy a dedicated cd player and possibly an amplifier.

My room size is 6.5 meters by 5.5 meters, all contrete walls and ceiling with some carpet in the middle of it.

Again whats the best home theater system set up for these.

Pls kindly help me.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND MORE POWER TO WHAT HIFI? MAGAZINE

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stormbird8"]
I have found the KEF 2005.2 at £400 online but I don't like the egg shape (looks silly in my opinion) - I definitely want an unobtrusive Style system (similar to Bose but much better value and better quality)

[/quote]

I am like you... i hate the shape of the kef eggs... I got richer sound to hook up the Mordaunt Short 'Alumini' 5.1 speaker package. I must say at first i thought they looked a bit small but once connected to the Onkyo 605 and watching spiderman 3 the sound was awesome. Anyway i like the square ish gloss black look to and at £500 less than the kef's they got my vote on the finacial basis too.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
KEF KHT3005s. Or indeed KHT3005SEs. Nonsensical to suggest this receiver can't drive these speakers well.

[/quote]

At £600, are the standard KEF3005's worth getting and will they be good for music? (sorry I haven't been able to read your review) I have a medium sized living room

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Hems"]At £600, are the standard KEF3005's worth getting and will they be good for music? (sorry I haven't been able to read your review) I [/quote]

We gave the original KEF KHT3005 package 4 stars, but the new SE version the full 5. You can read all about the differences here.

A

Anonymous

My lounge is about 4x9m. We're redoing it, with a hi fi end (already owned) and a tv end, so for AV purposes, intend to utilise a 4m square area. Have the Sony KDL40W2000 tv which I intend to partner with a PS3 and the Onkyo amp. I need discreet speakers and was wondering about the JAMO A102HCS5 5.1 set-up. Would this do the amp justice?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sniper"]
im leaning towards Bowers and Wilkins products, AND ITS the B&W 685 Theater System.

Because i will make the b&w 685 fronts for hifi(cd palying)
[/quote]

I've listened to this set up recently and I must say it was superb - well worth the money.

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I posted a question the other day regards the Onkyo 605 & wondered whether you'd have any views as to whether the Yamaha RX-V1700 is a better substitute if at the same price.

I too have gone for the KEF3005SE's based on your recommendations (& prior experience with the first generation of the 'eggs'!)

I also have the Panasonic TH-42PX70 & just received the Toshiba HD-EP35.

Any views from anyone are really welcome!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts