Onkyo NR 609 and Boston Acoustics: looking to upgrade speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought my Amp Onkyo NR 609 along with Boston Acoutics XS 5.1 SE on this valentines as a gift for both of us.

We've been using the sytem for almost three months now and are happy (almost) with the performance of the Amp and the Speakers. The speakers being small are very easy to install and look good. We've the rears set up on a stand and have marked the spot for the stands so that everytime we need to move them we know where the stand should be placed to get the right output.

The problem that has now come up mainly from my wife is that she enjoys her music on the speakers but feels that they lack a bit of Ooomph when it comes to highs and lows. The mids are ok and sound good. She has started to notice this in some of her music and in the Football games that we watch with game mode turned on so as to get a stadium like feel.

I am thinking of adding a center speaker and am considering between Q Acoustics 200Ci, Wharfedale Diamond and B&W HTM62. When I went to Richer Sound to get an advice and make a purchase, I was told that the issue is that the speakers(Boston Acoustics) are too tiny to give me the kind of experience that I'm trying to get from my Amp. The Amp is highly capable and that the speakers did not do justice to the Amp.

He adviced me to get rid of the Boston Acoustics and to go with Dali for the fronts and Cambridge mini (twin Driver) for the center and rears along with a Cambridge Audio Sub (200 Watts). I'm now very confused on what I should do next.

a) Should I just change the center as I was planning to do?

b) Should I change the Center and fronts and use existing Boston Acoustics for Sides and rear and the sub to make it 7.1?

c) Should I Change everything as suggested by the guy at Richer?

I'm can spend up to £500 in addition to what I have already. WHich means, If I manage to sell my exisitng speakers at £200 then I'll have a budget of £700.

Please help with your advice.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick,

im no expert but the guy at RS should not give you that kind of advice!!

The front three speakers LCR should be of the same brand to begin so tonaly they are the same, surrounds could be something of a different brand but im guessing to keep it all nice and matching go for the same.

RS are ok for price but Knowledge lies here on the forums, not with me tbh but your quest seems rather simple.

How about the Kef Egg package they do at RS, you could quite easily arrange a demo there with a different sales assistant could you not?

there are more ppl who can advise better on here than myself but the front three Should be the same brand!!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/kef/kht2005-hd1/kef-kht2005-hd1 Style package, these will sound great!

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah01309 more traditional speaker type

Darrell

A

Anonymous

Thanks Darrell!

I went to Superfi this time to get a different opinion and to take Demo of a couple of systems. I think, I've now zeroed down on what I want.

I'll be going for the B&W 600 series i.e.

Fronts: B&W DM685

Centre: B&W HTM62

Rears: B&W DM686

Sub : B&W ASW608

I know, I'm spending twice of what I initially budgeted but I'm somehow convinced considering the leap jump that I would get in quality.

I would be happy to consider something else that is at a similar or less price and better quality. Please feel free to help with your inputs. Do remember that the Amp is onkyo 609 and that won't change. :grin:

Regards

Nick

A

Anonymous

If you want to save a packet and stick within your original budget, then look at the Boston Acoustic A26 fronts (£130) A225C centre. (£130) & AW250 (£250). Keep your existing rears for now, but add some A25 for rears at a later date.

A

Anonymous

I've checked the Boston Acoustics suggested and would agree that they are good for the budget that I was working on originally. I'm now considering the B&Ws per my earlier response. Would you say that the Bostons and B&Ws are very close or are they at different levels in quality. I would certainly want to go with Bostons if they are very close to each other.

A

Anonymous

I picked up a pair of A25 's for the rears for the sum of £70 from R'S and I'm frankly amazed at the level of the outright scale and accuracy of them, they give my R100's a run for the money, all in but the bass department. I'm considering getting some A360's and the centre for another room in the house. Check the reviews, they are a pure bargain. It's been a while since I last heard the 6 series from B&W, but I would be surprissed if they twice as good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

I had a demo for Boston Acoustics(A26, A225, A25) at Superfi. The performance of those speakers was very surprising. Especially at the price they seem a real bargain. Speakers are well designed and they certainly pack a punch.

I'm now split between whether to go ahead with B&W that are very elegant and have a very good record of performance or to go with the Boston Acoustics that I was advised and checked recently.

I'll post on what I finally go with.. Meanwhile, please feel free to provide your suggestions on other options that I may have or to help with deciding between the two.

Thanks

Nick

A

Anonymous

Update:

I got a good deal on B&W HTM62 and ASW608 on eBay and have made purchases. This means that I'll have to go with B&W fronts. In the last two days I had a demo done for 685s again and also for 684. Now, I'mn swayed towards 684s as there is a major shift in quality.

I'm not sure which one should i go for! My concern is about the AMP (Onkyo NR609) whether the amp would be able to do justice to 684 or would the 684 be too much to handle for the amp?

Please help me make call on selecting the fronts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts