Onkyo HT-S5105 receiver and speaker system - review soon?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I'm very tempted by this new system which I read about in the latest What Hi-Fi? magazine (October '08, page 39) - does anyone know of any plans to review it in a future issue?

The article cites Onkyo's statement that the receiver (the HT-R518) is 'essentially a 5.1 version of the TX-SR506' - since the latter is a What Hi-Fi? 5-star product, it would be nice to know whether or not this 5.1 version of it actually measures up.

After a fair bit of research, I'm now quite confident that this would be a good starting point for a new 5.1 surround system (especially given my limited budget, well-matched with the £350 Onkyo). I'm aware the system most likely will not include HD audio decoding, but hopefully this won't be a problem since I'm pretty sure my PS3 can decode and send PCM audio to the receiver via HDMI (am I correct???) It would be nice to read the magazine's verdict first though, just so I can have a little more peace of mind.

Also, if anyone else has bought this system recently (since it has only just been released), could you offer any words of advice?

One last thing, I noticed at www.play.com that there is another, cheaper system also available (the Onkyo HT-S3105, at only £224.99) - is anybody aware of where the cuts in specification have surely been made? I am slightly skeptical about this one, although it would be a hell of a bargain if it performs well.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

A

Anonymous

I'm rather surprised that no one from WHF has actually responded to this. I'm keen to get this too.

Andrew / Claire - any updates please?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hey Evil Wolf, just to let you know that I have bought this system since starting this thread, and while I'm very pleased with it (considering the modest price and the fact that it's my first system of this kind) remember that it doesn't accept Linear PCM via HDMI, so HD audio from a PS3 is out of the question (my assumption to the contrary in my above post is WRONG, therefore). But it sounds so good to me with plain old DD/DTS via optical that I couldn't care less, to be honest!

Still wouldn't mind knowing the WHF? team's opinion though, especially considering the 5-star rating they awarded the basic Onk 506 receiver earlier this year.

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear that you're happy with it, Liam19. It should be a good system, no doubt, and for the price - a no brainer!

A

Anonymous

Hi

Any chance of a review/some comments on this system from the what hi-fi team?

Liam19 how you getting on with this kit, you still happy with it?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts