Onkyo CR515: What type of speakers suit best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having read the reviews and listened to several systems we have decided to buy the Onkyo CR515 for our snug (so not our main system, hence do not want to spend volumes of money). In the shop there was not too many speakers that could be connected to the Onkyo, but we finally decided on the Mordaunt 902i. We would like guidance on:

1. Since we did not hear too many speakers would anyone have a view if these speakers could be bettered for this system (would not like spend above about £180 on speakers). Our taste in music is classical and Radio 2 style.

2. Whatever speakers we finally get what sort of speaker cable would be suitable for this system/speaker (need about 8m).

3. Would we benefit from a power surge protector or would this be a waste of money for this system?

Many thanks to anyone who provides help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
1. I think the MS902is will be perfectly well suited to this system.

2. I wouldn't spend a fortune on speaker cable - something like QED Original will be more than adequate.

3. A surge protector is always a sensible precaution if your domestic supply is prone to surges or spikes. One like this will cost you about £6.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for that quick response. I will order the cable and protector recommended, again thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
To add to Andrew's sage advice:

The Mordaunt Short Avant 902i are great little speakers, but quite 'up and at 'em' in their approach - if you're looking for some bombast and dynamism from the classical music you love, you've bought right pair at the price.

If your snug also contains a lot of furniture, you may find these speakers' slightly party-animal approach gets tamed slightly, which could suit you if you're after a more laidback listen.

Still too much (or a more sparsely furnished room, maybe with hard floors?) £150 would buy you the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers - like the Mordaunt Short's, these are an impressive offering for the money, but with a smoother, richer tone.

If you're going to put your system/speakers on a shelf, another add-on could be some isolation feet, like these.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Very interesting. The snug has wooden floorboards, brick walls (old barn) , books and sofas. Would this suit the W Diamonds 9.1?

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, I've just ordered the 902is, cables and surge protectors. Thanks again for yours and Clare's help.

A

Anonymous

I'm using the old Mission designed Denons with mine...It's, as yours, used in a small room, my office actually and it sounds excellent.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have one of these in my main bedroom which is a fairly decent size but not really a place to play at high volumes. In the end i got some Tangent Evo speakers due to their small size and neat gloss finish to be honest. I have been very surprised at how good they sound with the Onkyo - we are not talking deep bass or anything but it has a lovely musical sound, fairly warm id say and to be honest perfect for where we use it. The Onkyo is superb value for the price - not a main system choice of course but for a second one its fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts