Question Onkyo A-9130 vs Marantz PM6006 Integrated Stereo Amplifier - UK Edition

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, posting again after your recommendations from my last post and a bit of research online. I have a Technics SL-QD33 turntable and the Elac Debut B5.2. I want an amp to connect them with along with my pc (forgot to mention the last part on the previous post). A lot of you recommended the Onkyo A-9010 but since it does not have an amp I found the A-9130 for £300. My other choice is the Marantz PM6006 Integrated Stereo Amplifier - UK Edition for £329. I am just wandering how they fair against each other and which has the better DAC. Looking online, there seem to be some problematic units of the Marantz but that could have been fixed/be rare. I greatly appreciate your input and I am really excited to get into this hobby. Thank you!

Gray

Don't be too concerned about problems with Marantz.
You'll get a minimum of a years guarantee on a new amp, can't guarantee it will always be trouble-free, but Marantz won't be any more unreliable than another brand (in the same price bracket).
Now I know that your budget stretches to the 6006, especially if you can use its DAC, then it's an easy recommendation.
Ideally you'd get to listen and compare it with the Onkyo to judge for yourself, but that's not always possible I know.
Another good reason for the Marantz is that, from experience, their in-built phono pre-amps are good, often better than standalone alternatives.
You've probably seen that the 6006 doesn't have a USB input, only coax and optical.
What does your PC need?

Last edited:
Reactions: HigherUpThanDown

eoc69

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, posting again after your recommendations from my last post and a bit of research online. I have a Technics SL-QD33 turntable and the Elac Debut B5.2. I want an amp to connect them with along with my pc (forgot to mention the last part on the previous post). A lot of you recommended the Onkyo A-9010 but since it does not have an amp I found the A-9130 for £300. My other choice is the Marantz PM6006 Integrated Stereo Amplifier - UK Edition for £329. I am just wandering how they fair against each other and which has the better DAC. Looking online, there seem to be some problematic units of the Marantz but that could have been fixed/be rare. I greatly appreciate your input and I am really excited to get into this hobby. Thank you!
The marantz will leave the onkyo for dead, had a 9010 briefly and found it a dull clinical listen.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Don't be too concerned about problems with Marantz.
You'll get a minimum of a years guarantee on a new amp, can't guarantee it will always be trouble-free, but Marantz won't be any more unreliable than another brand (in the same price bracket).
Now I know that your budget stretches to the 6006, especially if you can use its DAC, then it's an easy recommendation.
Ideally you'd get to listen and compare it with the Onkyo to judge for yourself, but that's not always possible I know.
Another good reason for the Marantz is that, from experience, their in-built phono pre-amps are good, often better than standalone alternatives.
You've probably seen that the 6006 doesn't have a USB input, only coax and optical.
What does your PC need?
I have a 3.5mm to RC which works with my old amp, not sure what coax and optical mean in regards to that. Will that work or do I need something different?
I should add that besides the lime green line out port at the back of my pc is an orange C/SUB , a black REAR port and a s/pdif which I believe is a toslink connector. Looking online everyone says to use the s/pdif port. Should I purchase a toslink to RCA wire or can I use any of the other ports with the wire I already own?

Attachments

• pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Tbh if you look hard enough people have a problem with any amp that’s available at any price bracket. Sure be aware of potential problems but unless they have issued a recall I wouldn’t worry about it. Half the time you never get the full story of what people are actually doing with them to create the problem they have. Eg over heating, then you look at pictures they supply and they have books stacked on top, blocking vents and what not.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I have a 3.5mm to RC which works with my old amp, not sure what coax and optical mean in regards to that. Will that work or do I need something different?
I should add that besides the lime green line out port at the back of my pc is an orange C/SUB , a black REAR port and a s/pdif which I believe is a toslink connector. Looking online everyone says to use the s/pdif port. Should I purchase a toslink to RCA wire or can I use any of the other ports with the wire I already own?
You're right, that's the optical output from your PC and it will do nicely.
At the moment the soundcard in the PC is doing the digital to analogue conversion (DAC) and sending analogue out of the 3.5mm line out socket.
In future you would send optical digital from the PC, along the glass (or plastic) fibre of a Toslink cable, into one of the 2 optical inputs on the Marantz, where its DAC will then do the necessary conversion to analogue.
This type of lead is what you need. Go for a cheaper one if you want. Gold plating (24k or otherwise) is totally unnecessary. Just choose one that's not hair thin, so that you've got some mechanical strength.
The link below takes you to the 1 metre version, but you'll see other lengths listed:
Bottom line....you will never have heard your PC's music sounding so good ;)

PS: You might wanna get a couple of leads, your TVs likely to have a digital out - which could go into the Marantz's 2nd optical input.

Last edited:

gasolin

Consider a Denon PMA-600NE it has bluetooth and preout for subwoofer that a PM6006 don't have, the PM6006 has a detachable power cord you can upgrade and 2 pair of binding posts

I don't know what the price is for the denon amp but there shouldn't be any big difference

daytona600

Pioneer A-40AE & ProJect MaiA S2

TRENDING THREADS