Onkyo 875 as a pre amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I just bought a stereo amp to upgrade my stereo sound,want to use this one in combo with a Onkyo tx sr 875. When i'm going to watch/listen to movies i want to juse the Onkyo as a pre amp in my current set up.

Can this be done and how do i set things up, whitch in/outputs or pre outs will i use on the Onkyo?

Thanx.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
All AV sources connected to the Onkyo. Audio only sources (eg CD player) connected straight to the stereo amp (assuming it's an integrated amp)

Connect the front channel preouts on the Onkyo to a line-in (eg AUX) on the stereo amp.

Connect your front left and right speakers to the stereo amp.

Set the stereo amp to a level you can easily remember/re-set (eg 10 o'clock on the volume knob)

Run the auto set-up on the Onkyo.

Now, when you want to play surround material, all you have to do is select AUX (or whatever) on the stereo amp, set the stereo amp's volume to 10 o'clock (or whatever setting you chose) and you're good to go.

For music listening from the CD player or whatever you have connected to the stereo amp, use that amp as normal - the Onkyo and the rest of your AV components are now completely out of circuit.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes - just connect the front L/R pre-outs on the Onkyo to a spare input on the stereo amp. Connect front L/R speakers to speaker outs on the stereo amp.

Select the aforementioned input, set volume to something easy to remember - 12 O'Clock works for me, and then calibrate the Onkyo for SS.

For stereo sources, connect source(s) to stereo amp, *turn volume down*, select source, and enjoy (Onkyo can be turned off).ÿ

A

Anonymous

I'f don all the set up's and connections, and everyting works fine, but with the auto set up with the Onkyo the sound from the front speakers is not as loud as the rest of the channels(7.1 set up).

The integrated stereo amplifier stands at 12 o'clock.

Is this ok, or make i more corrections?

Thanx.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
hanno:

I'f don all the set up's and connections, and everyting works fine, but with the auto set up with the Onkyo the sound from the front speakers is not as loud as the rest of the channels(7.1 set up).

The integrated stereo amplifier stands at 12 o'clock.

Is this ok, or make i more corrections?

Thanx.

I set mine up with the Amp at 10 o'clock and then used the Audyssey to set the speaker volumes. When you change back from AV to Hifi with the volume at 12 o'clock after you've forgotten to turn it down(and you will forget) you'll nearly deafen yourself.
You can always adjust the front speaker levels manually if you want.

PS You may want to set it up with Audyssey again and see if you get a different setting

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Yep, running Audyssey setup again should get the levels about the same across all channels, although some minor manual tweaking will probably be required.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts