Onkyo 806 V Sony 2400ES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Actually bought it off ebay about 4 yrs ago.......and not had any problems with it so far (touch wood).

I had it hooked up to the Marantz PM6010 KI Signature amp (off ebay too) and Tannoy DC2000's before I I moved in home cinema......

It's a hard act to follow, which probably highlights my annoyances.....but saying that, the bass from what i have now is fuller and deeper than what I had - I assume it the Onkyo's doing......................

BUT I LIKE IT!!!!!!

Will chat again....it's getting late......

cheers.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Actually bought it off ebay about 4 yrs ago.......and not had any problems with it so far (touch wood).

I had it hooked up to the Marantz PM6010 KI Signature amp (off ebay too) and Tannoy DC2000's before I I moved in home cinema......

It's a hard act to follow, which probably highlights my annoyances.....but saying that, the bass from what i have now is fuller and deeper than what I had - I assume it the Onkyo's doing......................

BUT I LIKE IT!!!!!!
I tried the KI cd player with the KI signature amp (£400 as it was back then, 1997 I think) and it was very good. Got a Pioneer Precision amp for my birthday and naturally bought the CD player later. Was a bit more vibrant and thrilling than the Marantz. Kinda gone the same way with the Onkyo amp too!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
yes..... I remember the Pioneer Precision units....made after the Pioneer A400 amp in 1989ish

Friend had that amp-it was really good at the time.......

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
The Precision units were later than '89, more like '96-'97. I had the pair running through a pair of Castle Howards which was an amazing combination.....sold up the next year and moved to the States for a while.....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:The 'Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha' looks interesting.......

I have the Clearer Audio Copper Line Alpha powering my Onkyo 905 - it's certainly improved musicality though it's hard to go into detail as I never did a clear before and after with music. All I know is, previous, I preferred the Stereo mode, after, I preferred the Pure Audio mode (which seemed harsh on the treble before). Given the 60 day money back guarantee with Clearer Audio (which I've tested as I originally got a Silverline cable), it's definitely worth a try as you have nothing to lose.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks professor.

It's all interesting stuff.......only draw back is that the 905 has a socket at the back, whereas the 606 the mains lead goes into box directly!!! Sounds like a cut the lead and add a socket job!!! (Which is what the previous owner did to my Marantz CD63 KI Signature!!)

Grdunn123.....the tacima is a surge protector too (I think), so the Belkin would not be needed, but if you left it on would do no harm!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
grdunn123:...worth checking out the proposed price increase on the Onk....I have read several articles saying that it's going up to £800 on Feb 1st. No idea whether it's true but other's are putting their prices up so it may just be true.

The most recent information I have from Onkyo's UK PR person - last week - was that "there are no price hikes planned for Onkyo's current hi-fi/AV lines".

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew......I assume that Richer sounds has just finished the sale then (despite an article from 'what hifi' saying it was continuing), as they have just increased price of 806 by £100......

In your opinion, would the 806 be an improvement in 'Pure Audio' 2 channel music (treble harshness) from the 606, or is it best to upgrade the mains cable to help improve the problem (or neither!!!)......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes. I think it's just that the sale offer is finishing on that product.

And yes I think the 806 is a more worthwhile gain over the 606 than using the 606 with a better mains cable.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew........lastly,

To keep the bold, 'big bassed' sound that Onkyo delivers, am I correct in thinking no other company/product at this price range can deliver that sound?

And would saving up for the 876 be an even bigger/better leap in terms of the 2 channel 'Pure Audio' sound quality? (And do my Q Acoustics 1030i 5.1 speaker system warrant that kind of machine?)

TRENDING THREADS