Onkyo 806 (refurbed), 875 (refurbed), 876 (refurbed) or 606 (NEW)?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've been contemplating an amp for the JBL ES range for a while now. I started thinking about a Sony 2400. But After 2 weeks of reading stacks of forums, the receiver is not for me. I want something that knows it has balls and uses balls when balls are needed! Besides, the JBL ES series demands power from an amp. I demoed the speakers with a HK amp - it lacked finess and power - and Yes, it was the amp and not the speakers.

My question for this post is this:

If I was offered a NEW Onkyo 606 Vs a 806 (Refurbed) Vs a 875 (Refurbed) Vs a 876 (Refurbed) - all with 12 months Onkyo warranty and all the same price accept for the 876 which is £100 more) - which would be the one to go for?

Obviously the feature set of the 876 is the best in this line up. Apart from the 606, I think the rest are all THX certified. I'm just not sure if I should worry about buying a factory refurb? But then again, how do we know about the real history about most used items we buy in life??!

The Amp will also house connections for a Samsung UE46B7020, Panasonic DM60 DVD and Sky +.

Your views please...

Jay

A

Anonymous

Personally I would go for the 875 and spend the extra £100 on a BT 500va mains conditioning unit which will really give the 'Class A' circuitry a good clean up!

A

Anonymous

This is easy - the Onkyo 875. It is certainly a better amp than it's replacement. I have one and I love it to bits.

A

Anonymous

Jay, I am no expert in judging sound equipment technically. However, I do take my que from forums such is this one as well as the relevant magazines. No mistake with the set of JBLs, but you did not mention which model. I asume from your need to have a amp with "balls" that the speakers you are refering to would be ES 100`s as mains and the rest selected to compliment the 100s.

The best thing would have been to hook the speakers up with the 875/ 876 and listen to them first. The 606 would not be an option if I was in your shoes - having access to the bigger amps. The Audysey processor with the 876 is more advanced than the found with the the 606.

I am very cautious of demos at the shop. It is not a matter of just picking a amp, hooking it to a set of speakers and doing your judgements there and then. I frequently wonder how many sales personnel knows their product - and has the ability to set it up correctly and demo it correctly. One wrong setting on a demo such as a speaker setting or any other setting makes a world of a difference - have the subs been correctly set? Nine out of ten home cinema systems I have come across, the sub settings were wrong.

Over the past two years I have changed the AV amp three times and eventualy settled for the 906, the aim was a 875/ 876, but but got the 906 for a real sweet price.My system is dynamic, I frequently change out components and speakers.The application is games, movies and music dvds focusing mainly on live-shows. Front speakers are Jamo R907 (had to get a amp with balls), the rest of the speakers in the system comes and goes, currently the rear surrounds are new but old stock Jamo E770s, 2x Jamo E7 subs (to be changed in the near future), Jamo C80 center to be replaced with the new Jamo R900 center.

In your shoes, I would have paid the extra 100 for the 876, its current, and the 875 is not, and by no means am I saying anything against the 875.

Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

A

Anonymous

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your responses.

875 or 876 it is then....

It looks like I should not at all be worried about Factory Refurbed Amp with a 12 month warranty?

The ES range I am contempplating is ES80 or ES90 or ES100. I have demoed the ES80 and was happy but found the ES100 elsewhere for the same price! So if the ES100 is not much much larger in size, they will be th ones to buy.

Any reason why I cannot see the 875 here: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/indices/A_V_Receiver_5917373.html

Having asked the question above about the 875, I found a few alarming articles like this: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/114892/ShowThread.aspx

Jay

A

Anonymous

Hi Jay, how much are you paying for these amps? You say the 876 is £100 more but not what the actual price is, this could be important if you want the best advise.

A

Anonymous

Hi Lee

Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers reading this!

Here are the prices:

Onkyo:

607 - £450 NEW

806 - £499 REFURB

875 - £499 REFURB

876 - £599 REFURB

Initially I was going to spend £440 for the Sony STR DA 2400ES. But I feel it may be less suitable for the JBL ES range.

I'm still concerned about the overheating and smoludering issues with the Onkyo 875!

Jay

A

Anonymous

what about YAMAHA DSPAX863SE which is available for £587 !!

I am asking because I am in the same boat as you. is Onkyo 875 better than this?

A

Anonymous

aulakh:

I am asking because I am in the same boat as you. is Onkyo 875 better than this?

Where is it available?

These are the two amps I was looking at but haven't seen the Yam 863 anywhere, do you have a link please?

A

Anonymous

aulakh:

The 875/876 are in a different league. 200w x 7, class A, and about half a hundred weight!

A

Anonymous

Ming the Merciless:aulakh:

Where is it available?

These are the two amps I was looking at but haven't seen the Yam 863 anywhere, do you have a link please?

Hi, its available here:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4574

A

Anonymous

Clearly, in spec, in price and in award groups - the Onkyo 875 and 876 are in a different league to the Yamaha 863. The 863 is a fine amp, but in my opinion, a tiny bit more tinny in sound and with a fraction less balls than the OnOnkyo's mentioned. I think the Yamaha 863 is an outstanding amp inb its class - the Onkyo is the same, but in a higher class/league than the Yamaha.

Anyone have any veiws about my post concerning the smoking/overheating etc of the 875?

Jay

A

Anonymous

Hi Jay, the Onkyo is a 'Class A' amp and they give out heat. But that is the design.

Onkyo give 3 years warranty and providing you give them a sensible amount of room around them they are reliable.

I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, work it quite hard at times and it hasn't missed a beat. It's brilliant on music when feed with a clean mains supply, then better than most stereo amps.

A great product that I recommend to anyone.

A

Anonymous

Hi Trev,

In the time you have owned your Onkyo 875, how many times has it been back to Onkyo? Also, which speakers are you running with it?

Jay

A

Anonymous

Hi Jay, my system details are shown at the bottom of my posts.

My 875 has performed faultlessly and should continue to do so for many more years I hope.

A

Anonymous

aulakh: Hi, its available here:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4574

Thanks Aulakh....

I can't get the Superfi site to work at the moment, I will try from work tomorrow.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The link is for a yamaha 863 at £587.19, i checked the stock & they said they would have some in 2-7 day's (limited stock) so order ealy.

A

Anonymous

After lots of hunting, here are some prices for Onkyos:

607 NEW - £499

705 (refurb/12 months warranty) - £349

805 (refurb/12 months warranty) - £449

875 (refurb/12 months warranty) - £499

876 (refurb/12 months warranty) - £599

876 - NEW - £649

905 (refurb/12 months warranty) - £699

Now let me think aloud...

Samsung UE46B7020 LCD £1480

Alphason 1100BR CH Stand £265

JBLES90 - £350 (ish)

JBL ES250 - £260

JBL ES20 - £130

JBL ES25C - £85

Panasonic DMPD60 Blue Ray - £220

Atacama Nexus 10i - £70

Now I'd like to either find some of the above cheaper or stay under the £500 mark for the amp - unless there is a compelling reason for an amp over £500 from the list above?

Any further reccomendations?

Jay

A

Anonymous

If the 875 is £499 then at that price - snap it up! I thought mine was a bargain when i got it for £630. Mine is a refurb too btw, and it has been fine and dandy so far!

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...Agreed and I thought my 875 was worth the £899 I paid for it! ....I'd always liked Sony Receivers but they lack grunt compared to the Onkyo which is also pretty musical .....!

A

Anonymous

Jet / Paul

Thanks for your responses - much appreciated.

I cannot see the 875 on he Onkyo website (in the Products list) so assume it is an old model? I guess it was replaced by the 876? If this is the case, then I'd like to know what the difference is between the 875 and 876 (if any)?

Thanks

Jay

TRENDING THREADS