Onkyo 8050 speaker match

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, interesting - those are floorstanders, right?

It's not that I'm necessarily sold on Missions, just that they look like a great (and relatively plentiful) second hand bargain.

And I'm going to get a bargain!

Sliced Bread

Yeah they are floorstanders and I agree, they look very smart :)

The 782se is said to be better than the 782 if you can get them. I've only heard the 782, and was happy with them for many years (until my toddler broke them :) )

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, just snagged a pair of gorgeous rosewood 751s in lovely nick with stands and decent(ish) cable for £100.

So I'm pretty chuffed with that. Seen better deals, but not a lot. Plus the Onkyo should be here tomorrow. So exciting!

Just got to go give the speakers the once over - anything I should be looking out for?

I'm presuming turning them up to reasonable volume, plus listening at lower volume, should make any problems apparent.

Does anyone using 751s bother to biwire them - indeed does that make any difference?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Gonna keep a look out for a bargain on some 752s to compare and/or use with another set up too...

There's a couple of new pairs on Ebay at the moment. One's starting at 99p whilst the other is at a Buy It Now price of £175 which I think is very optimistic. The last two pairs on there have gone for a bit over £150. Makes my £80 pair feel an even better bargain.

Sliced Bread

Sounds like a good combination :)

I'd check that nothing rattles and the rubber seals around the drivers havn't perished. Also, ask the seller to start them up then put your ear to each driver to make sure they all work.

Enjoy :)

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Sliced Bread - pretty much what I was thinking, will do! They look in great nick from the photos, but def need to check thoroughly.

The Onkyo arrived this morning - it's a lovely piece of kit, very substantial and extremely easy to set up. Spotify sounds great (and I've just got it connected to a fairly knackered old pair of CV VS10s at the mo) and with the Onkyo remote app on my android it's very user friendly (although my wireless range in this room is not great).

Looking forward to the "new" speakers - picking them up on Thursday!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, picked up the 751s today - had forgotten how small they are!

Anyway, they're very very almost mint condition, in the original box, with some very hefty stands. Got them home, plugged them into the Onkyo, and I'm pretty amazed by the sound that this system throws out. It's cost me about £400 (excluding various cables and interconnects I had kicking around anyway and my old marantz ki sig cd player). BARGAIN!

So far, whatever the source (internet radio, spotify, CD, DNLA) the sound is awesome - have thrown as much challenging music at it as I can (stereolab, slayer, wu tang, creation rebel, sonic youth, tom waits, diamanda galas, leftfield, faust, coil, wire and so on) and it handles it all superbly. Not missing in bass I would say. Not for this money anyway!

I suspect the onkyo could power something a lot more substantial (not that that's a complaint about the 751s at all!) which leads me on to a question of how careful I need to be with the 751s. I've had it all running pretty damn loud, but just wondering how much stick the 751s can take - anyone got any thoughts on that?

Really keen to try some 752s with this set up now, so keeping an eye out for bargains.

The TDL RTL2s and RTL3s seem to go for not a lot of money - anyone like those?

As is typical, a pair of 751s just went on fleabay for £50, but they weren't in as nice nick as mine, and mine are rosewood, those are black, if that's important to anyone.

Anyway, just goes to show what bargains are available second hand, and thanks to anyone who offered advice here!

BTW - play.com are selling the Onkyo for £249.99! That is a steal.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:

As are Superfi. It's almost a non-brainer now having demoed one a couple of weeks back. I'm getting twitchy, I'm seriously thinking of buying one at that price.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
To my ear, it's just an awesome piece of kit.

I say awesome too much.

It's going to be the only box I'm gonna have in my main system, once I've ripped my many CDs and got them onto a NAS.

Very very happy with it!

Suspect it needs a wired network to work to its best, but then I haven't tried it over wifi.

Suspect it will power your 752s very nicely indeed!

T

the record spot

RRP is £400 and yes - IMO - having heard MUCH pricier kit, Onkyo delivered something that stacksup very favourably.

matthewpiano

omnibeard - unfortunately my 751s (which were never the best example and which I picked up cheaply a couple of years ago) have developed a fault so I've ended up digging a pair of Quad 11Ls out of the spare room. They sound different to the Missions but absolutely superb on the end of the Onkyo. I've heard the Quads with many amplifiers, including Arcam, Naim, and Audiolab, and the Onkyo gets more out of them than anything else I've heard. Worth a try if you are experimenting with different speakers.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
DIB said:
omnibeard said:

As are Superfi. It's almost a non-brainer now having demoed one a couple of weeks back. I'm getting twitchy, I'm seriously thinking of buying one at that price.

Was it better than your Creek Evo gear? If so, that's impressive for £250.

Not better, but honestly gives it a real run for its money. The Evo 2 + NA7004 is a great combination, but I could sell both on without losing money and have the same features in the Onkyo and use the extra money on other non-hifi related projects.

It was just that after reading this forum about the Onkyo I had to go and see for myself and was definitely impressed.

I just think that for this new price of £250 its unbelievable value.

I never get attached to any electronic equipment, its comes and goes. I never thought I'd be selling on my M22i speakers but quite honestly the Mission's at £80 were the equal of them.

What are Onkyo CD players like?

matthewpiano

DIB, I've not heard an Onkyo CD player other than the in-built one in a CS515DAB I used to have, but my Dad has one (a DX7355 I think) and is very pleased with it. I've not heard it yet, but he does tend to like a similar sort of sound to me and he has commented on how well built it is.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone demo'd thsi onkyo with any of the KEF 'Q' series speakers?

Match made in heaven, or potential nightmare.......I like good controlled bass, and plenty of high end detail....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Anyone care to make a guess as to how this would sound with the AE Compact 1s? I'm trying to put a system together for the room upstairs, which will be a pretty "near-field" setup, so won't require anything huge in terms of speakers and being able to wall mount them would be additionally useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts