Onkyo 706 Anyone?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was just wondering, has anyone else got an Onkyo 706?

Looking around the web and most reviews, there only ever seems to be reviews of the 506, 606 and 806 and the 9 series; never the 7 series.

Any idea why is this the case? Does anyone else have the 706 amp - or is it just me?

Andy

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Yes, I have just bought one, and am still working out how to connect everything to it!

It got a really good review in a certain other home cinema magazine, and from what I've heard of it so far I'm quite pleased.

A

Anonymous

Phew, I'm not the only one with the amp! :)

I'm very pleased with mine, it sounds fabulous and the guys at 7Oaks were very helpful when I bought it.

If you need any info setting it up, let me know.

I did have to send the first one I bought back as it was faulty when it got hot (and boy does it get hot!)

Very pleased though, even the wife can hear the difference between this and the old one. :)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid this is common with 'in-between' ranged amps. The lower end models are popular as they're picked by folks on a budget especially as a first-time receiver. The higher end stuff is bought by those upgrading or those with a bit more mullah to spend and the stuff in the middle kind of gets ignored both by the buying public and the press. Usually these add features not used by 'newbs' i.e. preout connections to external power amps, upscaling etc. etc.and marginally more power which most folks think is unnecessary but people forget they'll usually have better components inside.

Enjoy your new amp!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I also have one of these amps and I am very pleased with it, all though I have to agree you can fry an egg on it :)

I am having a few issues using Sky HD though, but Im undecieded whether its an amp issue or sky, lipsync mainly. I have played with the sky delay feature without success.

This is my first amp and took a while to set it up, apart from that though very happy with it.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The Sky HD lip sync issues have more or less been fixed as far as I know. When I first got Sky HD I was ready to send it back as I was having to constantly fiddle with the delay settings on both the box and the amp. Now I have the Sky HD box set at 0 and use the amp for lip sync compensation and so far I haven't touched it in months.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

How did you setup the amp to recognise HD audio? I originally had everything coming out in multichannel. Think there was a setting to change to 'through'.

A

Anonymous

Ahh ha! Thanks for explaining why they're not often reviewed - I thought it was because they were naff or something, I didn't twig that it's in-between models.

You'd think though that they would be covered in either the big or little brothers reviews, just a paragraph about them, as in:

"And the 606 has a bigger brother, it's possesses the same internal gubbins as the 606 but features THX yadda yadda yadda, it's <insert reviewers comment here> so if you can afford the extra <price difference> it's definately worth getting."

Or something... :)

A

Anonymous

The line, " It possesses the same internal gubbins" is incorrect to a degree, because the 706 has a push and pull amplification design with 3 stage inverted darlington circuitry, plus an extra dsp chip in the 706. Which the 606 and below does not have, this particular amplification lay out is only included in the 706 and above. The 705 last year did not have this lay out it was the same as the 605. So i would say for instance that pro reviews of the 806 rather than 606 are more valid to the 706, the main difference being the 806 has a different chasis design.

A

Anonymous

That was just me scrawling some dirge as an example of what I meant... I've no idea what the internal differences are - but you clearly do (and I bow down to your knowledge on this).

A

Anonymous

Quick question too...

What the chuff is the push and pull and inverted gubbins?

Sounds cool whatever it is and I'm glad I've got it (by the description alone)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts