onkyo 608 - but which speakers to go with ? budget speakers under £300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
started off with this AMp but undecided on speakers, RS had told me tannoy SFX are clear and have an award winning sub, Jamos nice but bassy. Else they were offering the boston acoustics.

now then someone pointed out that the BoSton acoustics centre was not great , audiovisual said jamo best ..

hmm left stuck!!

id like good mids im i looking at this wrongshould i get seperates instead like an b&w mt-1 centre different front books shelves and smaller rear tannoys hmm not sure what to do HELP

ALSO as was there ever a REVIEW on the tannoy SFX how did they do?

A

Anonymous

not really cant see anything there really !! but trying to get onto which are best to go with on the ONKYO 608 - !! ahh

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't be able to tell you if they beat the afore mentioned Q Acoustics but these would be an interesting choice to check out.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree, the Tannoy or Q Acoustics packages would be a reasonable place to start, though I'd be saving and looking to push the budget further to find a speaker package that will ably demonstrate the capabilities of your receiver.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a little, you could look at the Acoustic Energy Radiance (b stock) available on ebay for heavily discounted prices. These items are listed as b stock due to apparent cosmetic imperfections, though I (and other forum members) bought the Radiance Subwoofer for less than half the rrp and, after close inspection, couldn't find any problem (trawl the forum and you'll see similar responses). All sales are direct from manufacturer, with a return option and warranty. AEJim is also a forum regular, should you have questions (it seems I'm doing his job for him at the mo)...

I've still not worked out how to provide a simple link, but the web address is as follows:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/acousticenergysales/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

You could start building a speaker package using the Radiance Centre and Radiance 1 standmounters, perhaps, adding components over time as your budget permits. I think you'd end up with a much better system overall.

Anyhow, just highlighting another option.

A

Anonymous

I see from another thread you picked up the 608 for £365 - great price.

As Andrew basically eluded to above, the Jamo's (amongst the others you mention) are not really befitting of the 608 amp, however, I do currently own the 608 amp with the Jamo speaker set. I can tell you that for my small room size that these do a pretty good job with what the 608 throws at them. Sure there are speaker sets out there which will provide a much better sound stage and offer a greater spectrum of capabilty when it comes to dealing with the highs and lows kicked out by the amp, but they come at a higher cost and the Jamo's really do ok in a smaller room size.

My personal intention anyway is to upgrade my Jamo's in a few months to something like the Q Acoustics 2000 or the Monitor Audio Bronze range and these should provide a clear step up from the Jamo's and make it feel like i've got a whole new cinema experience again (I went from 'nothing' to the 608 and Jamo set up).

Rest assured i'm sure there'll be a lot of wrangling in your brain about what to do here. All I can say is that things have been pretty good so far with my set up and you can always begin to buy a new centre or a new Sub etc as you save some cash in the not too distant future and begin your upgrading process.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 set up is an excellent set up for the money. I had the QA 1030i floorstanders with it, but have recently upgraded to the more expensive KEF Q series......
[Removed by mods. Nice try]

A

Anonymous

thanks all..

those radiances look awesome!! mind is in overdrive!! , ok lets say that it be nice to get smaller speakers with the omph...

space is slight issue placed in the corner 42" plasma acorss small.. ish lounge

so thats the issue have heard mates efx tannoy with his 607 its a great blast at only 30+ hear the mt30 at pnr audio room was huge made the b&w sound not so brill hmm

Was thiking ok now i hear lots great stuff about the canton 80 and the boston acoustics , then the BA ccentre is small not prob going to give me all that .. but not heard too many reviews about the canton and boston in the sense that centre is great with details

The jamo too Kindly let me know do you get mids , nice details out with the onkyo they are only 60-80w the tannoy 100.. never seen any reviews on these tannoys arghh decisions ..

You are all right maybe step by step jump up.. but need to start on something asap. shame those Q 1010iwere just a bit too large!! hmmm

A

Anonymous

i am being pushed towards the bostons they are simply better than the jamo's and tannoys apparently by far!!

would love a test and listen but all places are busy on weekends to get a demo what to do just go with them or stick with some tannoys

A

Anonymous

I have the Bostons with the denon 1911 when i was buying speakers i was stuck between the jamos and the bostons but i felt that the bostons sub sounded much better than the jamos and in the end i got the Bostons and they sound great

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
the bostons are great especially the sub but i would get something bigger by the way any1 know what the difference is between the hts2001 and the KEF KHT2005.3

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
the bostons are great especially the sub but i would get something bigger by the way can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 kef models they look the same but have a totally different name (KEF KHT 2001) and the (KEF KHT2005.3) anyone

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There have been various versions of the KEF KHT packages since they were launched almost a decade ago as the KHT2005, each with a range of improvements and changes. The current version is the .3

The ones in your ebay link aren't KHT2005 - that's the model number for the 5.1-channel package - but a pair of the HTS2001 speakers used in the packages. The current version is the HTS2001.3

A

Anonymous

Oh boy im in trouble!! been told that either tannoy or boston XS will be decent will not make difference in a small room. larger room go for XS woudl you all say to that ?

stick to tannoys SFX or get the XS bostons willl not be very loud just quarter used maybe in time later

A

Anonymous

no wasnt sure about them but knew they were around , , and do not look as if you can mount them on stands either. how good are they and what type of price.

but having heard a mate's efx sure the sfx should be decent or better.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Alfie786:
Oh boy im in trouble!! been told that either tannoy or boston XS will be decent will not make difference in a small room. larger room go for XS woudl you all say to that ?

stick to tannoys SFX or get the XS bostons willl not be very loud just quarter used maybe in time later

Ok you have narrowed it down to two. Your mate has the tannoy SFX, so you need to get the XS Bostons they have great reviews and are well recommended. As this is your first step they won't disappoint you.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Alfie786:
no wasnt sure about them but knew they were around , , and do not look as if you can mount them on stands either. how good are they and what type of price.

but having heard a mate's efx sure the sfx should be decent or better.

They are very good - similar in style to the Mission M Cube and less expensive by quite a bit than the SFX. They include mini stands and can be wall mounted - wall mounts aren't included but at the price of the package you could get suitable wall mounts quite easily.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts