Onkyo 606 upscaler questions

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
This is probably a really stupid question - please don't laugh if it is!!

I have just bought the Onkyo 606, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it. I have connected my upscaling Philips DVD player (via HDMI) and a DVICO TVIX unit (via component input), with the picture output to my HD Ready tv by HDMI. I currently just have my V+ box connected straight to the tv via HDMI and connected to the Onkyo via optical.

What I'm wondering is, if I have my DVD player and Dvico set to output at 720p, what will the Onkyo do to that picture? Presumably it won't upscale the picture from the DVD player any further, as it's already in 720p? What will it do to the picture from the Dvico, which is also output at 720p, but which is connected via component input? Should I adjust the output to a lower resolution and let the Onkyo upscale the picture? Finally, what should I do with the V+ box - is the upscaler in it better than the Onkyo one?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before - I tried searching, but since the search function can't use the +, I think I may have missed out on some results.

Thanks

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rob-981,

I can help with the the 720p question, but not the v+ box question.

You need to look how the tv is set up. Go into setup via remote control button. Then go to hardware set up (7) and enter, then HDMI (4) and press enter. The top line shows 'output resolution'. It will show one of the following: 'through', or '1080i', or '720p' etc.

Now, if you want to use the upscalers in the dvd player etc, set it up to 'through'. This will bypass scaler in amp. If you want to use the onkyo as upscaler select another (1080i, 720p). Best thing is to try the different ways and see which is best. Whatever you leave setting as, will be the setting for all HDMI and component inputs, I think.

Hope that helps....

A

Anonymous

Hi Rob,

I am planning to buy the sony 40w4500 and I have the DVICO TVIX 4000 unit. My question is that I normally download XVID videos with a resolution of 640x480. Will the DVICO rescale the image to fit the TV with a good quality? Will you recommended this combination?

Many thanks

MallorcaVIP

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Wow! Someone else with a Dvico! I never thought I'd see the day...

I have just checked mine out playing the only 640x480 film I've got, and as I thought, with the TV set to widescreen, you will get two black bars down the sides, as the TV can't insert any information that's not already there, but if you set the tv settings to "smart" or "zoom" or whatever it is, the film will fill the whole screen, but you'll miss some of the picture from the top and bottom.

I can tell you though, that it looks a lot better on the Sony than it did on my old 32inch Philips tv! The Sony is awesome! If you get one without any problems, like I did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts