Onkyo 605 updated soon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nads

I would try and get more than 1cm as nothing. Like Andrew i dont find my Onk getting overly hot but i do have more clearance. in fact i would say it gets no hotter than the stereo amps in use.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Ketch"]Any suggestions on where to find said whisper fans?[/quote]

Maplin is a good place to look, but as nads says more clearance would be much, much better...
[/quote]

I would agree completely, but 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' has insisted that it stays in the rack (closed on both sides, open back with about 3 inches clearance on top).

I blame Onkyo for making a fantastic perfomring bit of kit....................... so bloody ugly!!!!! :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
How much space either side? The Onkyos have cooling vents on their side panels, too, used to draw cool air in as the hot air escapes from the top. Convection, don't you know...?

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

I have about 4-5cm space each side. I am going to unscrew the feet of the ONKYO as height is 17.4cm and height on TV unit is 17.5cm! The feet are massive however so with some short rubber feet I should have a good 1 - 1.5cm gap at the top. Would you be overly worried?

Cheers

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
How much space either side? The Onkyos have cooling vents on their side panels, too, used to draw cool air in as the hot air escapes from the top. Convection, don't you know...?
[/quote]

I've only got a couple of milimetres either side to play with, so I was hoping that the fans would force a little more cold air into the unit.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ambrose"] I am going to unscrew the feet of the ONKYO as height is 17.4cm and height on TV unit is 17.5cm! The feet are massive however so with some short rubber feet I should have a good 1 - 1.5cm gap at the top[/quote]

I wouldn't - the feet are there to provide isolation and also allow air circulation.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I might have to give up on the 605 then
emotion-6.gif

Any other slimmer Amps which would be good with MT-20 pack and Marantz Dv6001 DVD player? Getting desperate now!

Cheers

Ben

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clearly someone in Osaka thinks they're beautiful.

But then I have never found the receivers that offensive-looking, even if I think they're so much better in black than silver.

A

Anonymous

Andrew did you enjoy your break? Also is the 605 the £400 one? if so would you say in your opinion that the 605 would play music as good as my Rotel ra -04 ,reason i ask is im running out of space and would like the 605 when i go BD soon
having one amp for music would help but i would not sacrifice the quality i get at mo, as you can see from below i use the cambridge, rotel and monitors for my music.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bobbys"]Andrew did you enjoy your break?[/quote]

What break?

[quote user="bobbys"]Also is the 605
the £400 one?[/quote]

Yes

[quote user="bobbys"]If so would you say in your opinion that the 605 would
play music as good as my Rotel ra -04[/quote]

No, probably not. But given the fact you're using relatively modest speakers, the trade-off might not be as obvious as it would were your speakers to be much more revealing.

A

Anonymous

not seen you posting much last week so thougth you where away. not many days when your not top poster. thanks for the answers. would i be right in sticking to seperate amps then as would not want to spend much than £500 for the tv amp with the new HD audio. unless i became an MP that is Ha Ha

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bobbys"]not seen you posting much last week so thougth you where away[/quote]

Nah - just been flat out doing an issue of Gramophone, sub-editing reviews for the website, going to the Geneva Motor Show, posting news and stuff like that. As Mr Clough is so fond of saying, we are working night and day on this thing to get it ready for its relaunch in a couple of months' time.

And yes, either stick to two amps or consider an AV amp fully able to do your music justice. The 605 is good, but not up to the standards of the Rotel in stereo.

A

Anonymous

Sevenoaks just told me there was gonna be an new model out soon, and yeah the one on the shelf was a higher spec receiver.

A

Anonymous

There are some nice pictures and info here:
http://www.forodvd.com/showthread.php?p=372711

Tempting ???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yup, copied from the original site running this stuff. Most of the spec is as the current receiver, with the exception of the changes I outlined above.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if they will price it the same as the 605 Or will it be a higher model?

I keep delaying on buying an AV receiver. One day I will finally go for it !!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Early US pricing information seems to suggest the 606 will debut at the same price - $600 - at which the 605 hit the shops there last year. So a £400 tag here seems extremely doable. (And no rip-off Britain posts, please)

Snahbah

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="peterpickles"]I wonder if they will price it the same as the 605 Or will it be a higher model?

I keep delaying on buying an AV receiver. One day I will finally go for it !!![/quote]

Price has been confirmed at £400 - the same as the 605.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
When we get one. Meeting tomorrow with Onkyo suits, at which we'll be asking for review samples.

Can't see it being earlier than July issue earliest, given current schedules, but of course we'll give you an online review as soon as a) we have one and b) it's been given a thorough going-over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts